How to study for listening? (1 Viewer)

Jolteon

HSC
Listening isn't my worse skill but apparently the best way is to learn the vocab really well so that you can translate real fast in your head.
Otherwise my second advice is to write the word real fast on the candidates notes/on the side so you can use a dictionary and look it up later.

But otherwise listening or watching some French videos will also be helpful.

Godard

HSC
Hi,

I studied French for my HSC and I have to agree listening was perhaps the most difficult skill. It is definitely advised that you try to immerse yourself in the French language in order to become familiar with the listening to French words. You might try watching French tv shows/movies and listening to French music. Listening to French news (available on the SBS website or websites like www.lemonde.fr can be really helpful

The main struggle I had was that I did not understand much of what they were saying, seeing as how fast they talked. The French HSC listening texts are definitely slower than an average French speaker. I suggest listening to a free podcast called 'News in Slow French' to try to become used to listening to French at a slower pace, then eventually moving to faster-paced listening.

Hope I helped! If anyone has any questions about French, please message me.

MadameSophie

HSC
N/A

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Watching French movies or documentaries (that have english subtitles) and listening to music may be a more immersive way of enhancing your french listening skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)