How to study for maths? (1 Viewer)

O

Omed62

hey guys,

So I was just wondering what would be the best way to study for maths.

I worked very hard doing many questions, but after doing my first assignment I got 77. I wasn't happy.

what would be the way to learn maths in terms of what textbook would be extremely good to learn all the concepts and how many hours would it be best to spend on maths.

I am currently year 12 and doing maths 2u, and Maths ext1/2. I have my half-yearlies coming up soon. can someone be kind to answer the above questions.

Also does anyone have any formule sheets for the whole content of maths 2u, Ext1,2 that they can send me.

Thanks Guys,

I wish you guys the best in the HSC;)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
hey guys,

So I was just wondering what would be the best way to study for maths.

I worked very hard doing many questions, but after doing my first assignment I got 77. I wasn't happy.

what would be the way to learn maths in terms of what textbook would be extremely good to learn all the concepts and how many hours would it be best to spend on maths.

I am currently year 12 and doing maths 2u, and Maths ext1/2. I have my half-yearlies coming up soon. can someone be kind to answer the above questions.

Also does anyone have any formule sheets for the whole content of maths 2u, Ext1,2 that they can send me.

Thanks Guys,

I wish you guys the best in the HSC;)
1. You can start by ditching the formulae sheets. If you have done enough practice then you will always remember them. If not then it is a indication that you haven't practiced enough.

2. Learn & understand the content without rote learning, do practice questions then move onto past papers. It is important to do non-repetitive questions after the you are familiar with the basics.

3. Do not plagiarise and when you are stuck on a problem have a genuine crack at it before asking for help.

4. Investigate. If you have a good idea (no matter how wrong it may be) try it. You don't necessarily need to follow generic textbook methods. For added fun, once you solve a problem try to figure out a different approach and a different way of looking at it.

Last edited:

Ustritsa

HSC
N/A
The ways of "studying" for maths which are traditionally effective can be summarised in two simple steps.

1. Understanding. - It is incredibly helpful to have a deep understanding of the topic which you are investigating (towards the end of the HSC this becomes a cumulative understanding of the entire syllabus). This is especially helpful with the questions you will find towards the end of the paper where no straightforward method is visible and your UNDERSTANDING begins to induce a possible solution.

2. Practice. - This implies doing questions from the textbook but does not primarily include them! Past papers are by far the way to go in regards to maximising your exam marks. Only and by I repeat ONLY doing past papers will you build an expectation of the exam and the questions which you may have to answer on the day (not to mention most papers are repetitive as are the solutions).

A few others tips and tricks include: finding helpful "short-cuts" and alternative methods (e.g. L'hopital's rule for limits) which can save time, practicing under exam conditions, studying/talking with friends to see different ways of thinking (alternative solutions) and simply reading over the worked solutions to past papers because at a certain point once you understand the solution you are able to recreate it, change it and come up with your own which is perhaps more efficient.

Hope that was helpful, if you have any more questions feel free to email me :)

HSC
Uni Grad
First of all, to be blunt, do not post another one of your assignments up in the future in hope for just answers. Have a genuine attempt at least...

Studying maths...Not very happy about how I go about it to be honest haha, but I've had a fair share of good/bad experiences. I would recommend Terry Lee's textbook for 4u and Cambridge for 3u - do about 2-3 examples from each question until you've grasped the concept. If you know the theory, I'd just skip to the hardest questions from each exercise before doing past papers from your OWN SCHOOL first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)