How to take notes for Hamlet? (1 Viewer)

herr0014

HSC
N/A
I'm trying to set up some notes for me to study, about Hamlet, but I'm really unsure about where to begin with my analysis. I've picked out some key quotes, and have a rough Idea, but my usual first step would be to make a thesis, and I can't do that with this because of how vague it is (the question could relate to any number of things, all of which requiring a different thesis).

I have a basic scaffold for analysing texts, but it seems like it would fall short of a close study, especially for something as detailed as hamlet...

Any tips?

i love to act

HSC
Definitely try writing notes under the themes displayed in Hamlet. Y'know, Appearance Versus Reality, Hamlet's inability to act etc.
Then, try finding scenes/quotes to support this theme, whilst including specific techniques to support your theories too. Also, find other critics' interpretations of the play - seriously, they're so fascinating! There's one extremely interesting critic, however, I've forgotten his name. Anyway, this guy is a genius when it comes to Shakespeare.

Good Luck.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
begin by knowing the text. refurnish that knowledge into understanding. read critical essays, interpretations, context notes etc. Comprehend the question. why is the question important? why is it being asked? what is its focus? Construct a mind map with quotes, themes, ideas, and examples from the text. Once this has been composed and you have a rough outline, shotgun the essay, beginning with something captivating. graaaaandddd entranceeeeee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)