How to write a two-perspective story in the exam? (1 Viewer)

matreha

HSC
Hi all.

So I have an important question for the Extension 1 exam, if anyone can offer some insight. One of the stories I have prepared for the creative writing section is written in two different perspectives (POVs). So I was wondering, how on earth do I show this in the exam, so that the markers know that there are two distinct voices? Do I use different coloured pens or something? I'm feeling a bit lost.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Evertone

HSC
The convention is the 3 asterisks. You can put those in plus write in blue pen for every time you switch.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Don't think it's necessary to write in two different colours. Either use headings or scene breaks. If you do two perspectives effectively enough, the marker should be able to tell that it's a different voice. Unless you're intentionally making them sound similar for a twist at the end.

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Hi all.

So I have an important question for the Extension 1 exam, if anyone can offer some insight. One of the stories I have prepared for the creative writing section is written in two different perspectives (POVs). So I was wondering, how on earth do I show this in the exam, so that the markers know that there are two distinct voices? Do I use different coloured pens or something? I'm feeling a bit lost.

Thank you in advance!
Isn't it not permitted to write in blue pen?

crowley926

HSC
So I was wondering, how on earth do I show this in the exam, so that the markers know that there are two distinct voices? Do I use different coloured pens or something?
I use asterisks or stars to separate my vignettes and POVs - they should be able to work out that there is a shift in perspectives from there

I'm pretty sure this year they only want black pen (for English anyway) so refrain from using different colours since they don't scan well or something

matreha

HSC
Thanks so much guys! This was really helpful. Yes, I think I might steer clear of blue pen just in case, and do the three asterisks as suggested. I might also write a small note at the top saying that asterisks indicate a change in POV, so the markers don't get confused!

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

crowley926

HSC
I might also write a small note at the top saying that asterisks indicate a change in POV, so the markers don't get confused!
Haha trust me you won't even need to do that - they would know + thousands of kids before us have probably done it before. Plus, you might be insulting their intelligence ;)

matreha

HSC
Haha trust me you won't even need to do that - they would know + thousands of kids before us have probably done it before. Plus, you might be insulting their intelligence ;)
hahahaha true xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)