How to write faster? (1 Viewer)

austinbaric

HSC
In preparation for trials I have written a few practice essays under test conditions and given myself 40 minutes. Each essay was only around 650 words and that's me writing as fast as I can. So I'm very worried, as there are quite a lot of students in my year that write well over 1000 words in 40 minutes. Is practice the only way to improve? what's worked for you?

teridax

HSC
N/A
idk how you'll quickly improve your writing length in a short period of time. when are they exactly?

but, if you memorise your essays you tend to write more

inb4memorisationdebate

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Get a better pen if you're not using a good one. The impact of bad-quality pens (e.g. kilometrico) upon speed of handwriting is different for different people, but for me it has made a big impact

astroman

HSC
writing fast put's stress on your wrist, instead of suffering through this, tilt your page and do cursive writing with a larger movement of the arm, use your whole arm basically instead of your puny wrist.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
occupational therapist

they can help with handwriting.You may potentially be eligible for scribe, but disability provisions application were due a while ago.
I remember reading about Barker College engaging an Occupational Therapist to help its students with their problematic handwriting. I looked up on Occupational Therapist. Then, I still wonder if they can ever help.

Had austinbaric come to me 12 years ago, maybe I could have helped. I have over the years tried to advise students with handwriting difficulties. I thought I could help, as I belong to a generation that did all our written work with pen and pencil. But after trying to help a number of students, I am now of the view that, in 90% to 95% of cases, there is no redemption. Even an OT will need to work on their "patients" over an extended period to effect change. But then, do the OT necessarily know how to write?? In my view, over 90% of people 40 years old and younger do not know how to write. I have the opportunity to observe students at close quarters - 4 out of 5 have a wrong grip; but that is only part of the problem. Poor letter formation is very common. I wince when I see student writing '5' and '8', and today!!, the letter 'F' (for 'false' - I was teaching Logic and the use of Truth Tables) the wrong way - wrong stroke sequence, writing '5' from the bottom up etc etc.

Since most teachers 40 years old and younger, are themselves poor at handwriting - who are there to guide the 4 and 5 and 6year olds, beginning their journey in handwriting? So this problem of atrocious and tortured handwriting become more and more prevalent, so that it i now the norm.

I see various well-meaning advice being proffered on BoS, including: tie a battery to your pen, use a better pen, (can help to an extent - various types and makes of pen are recommended), use this writing style or that etc etc.

In my view, most of these are a case of the blind leading the blind.

So what is my solution? I have none except to stress the importance of getting things right from the very start - ie ages 4, 5, 6 or 7. But then you need knowledgeable teachers to do this - but they have mostly retired or passed away.

Last edited:

austinbaric

HSC
All is good, I've practiced a few more times and I'm now 800-850, hopefully with more practice I continue to increase this number :)

TheAL7

HSC
I've seen people put rubbers or batteries on their pens to act as weights, so during the exam they write faster.
Never tried it myself but maybe it works??

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I've seen people put rubbers or batteries on their pens to act as weights, so during the exam they write faster.
Never tried it myself but maybe it works??
Of course it works, but only for a short amount of time.

Kaido

be.
HSC
Of course it works, but only for a short amount of time.
During the exam? Wot...

I tried writing with both hands at the same time on two pages. Worked out alright, although my non-dominant hand got tired faster, so had to switch to single hand writing after 2 essays

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
Just write as fast as you can and also keep writing until you get sore. Your body will adapt to increase endurance and speed as long you push your boundaries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)