How was the transition from High School to UOW??? (1 Viewer)

MandiMoo

HSC
I'm just wondering because I got into UOW through early entry and im the type of person to freak out when changes occur to their lifestyle..lol i just dont seem to handle it...

So post ur comments here about how the change was.. good/bad, easy/hard, how were the other people and stuff like that. Help me ease my trouble, worried mind..

cheers :)

HSC
More challenging than I expected, but for non-academic reasons. Basically I found that travel is a sure-fire way to grind you down. Aside from that, and the fact that a lot of the work seems to have even more vague outcomes than it did at High School, I haven't found anything particularly worth commenting on. Oh yeah, you also get used to a workload that's *significantly* greater than what you did at school, and within a year or so you'll be wondering how it managed to seem so bad back in the day (If it ever did). Aside from the way it cuts into my spare time and causes me to flip out when deadlines land together, overall I'd have to say it's been a good change, I'm going places and the worst of it is over (I hope).

People are fine if that's your bag, there are lots of them at UoW, some smell quite bad, most don't. If you're interested in meeting people and making friends then you will have no trouble with it.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I found it easy, mostly because I never took uni that seriously plus the unibar was a great bonus for me personally.

The workload kills you at first, because it's pretty much a HSC jammed into 13 weeks, twice a year. But you just get used to it and before long you're knocking out 2000 word essays the night before with ease and you look back on the HSC with the thought 'what was I worrying about, it wasn't hard at all'.

Friends are easy to make, it's just a simple step of introducing yourself to those in your tutorials or seminars. But let me warn you that there is a lot of people you don't want to be friends with, those people you will decide for yourself.

UoW is a very decent uni and i've got no problems with it and if you need any help, you always ask any of us. I think i've learnt a lot about UoW in the 4 years I've been here.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Travel shouldn't be too bad for you. Judging from your location, you're somewhere near me (in 'rilla). If you drive, it's only around twenty to twenty-five minutes. Taking a bus it's between fifty minutes and an hour and fifteen minutes depending on the bus you take. I was lucky that my high school was near uni, so that I was already used to the travel. I'd been doing it for six years before, what's another four going to do?

As for workload. It does get a whole lot more difficult. If you're one of these people that freaked out in their Higher School Certificate, then you'll be freaking out near the end of each semester (unless you develop nice stress management activities, and if/when you do, let me know). Too many assessments often due in the same week, sometimes day. Then you have examinations a week after you finish your final week. There are many subjects which don't have exams in the examination period (you might have one in the last week, for example), but you will encounter final exams in your degree. There amount vary from one (or none) to five or six (some subjects might have two exams).

Also, clashes with classes can be a problem if you're doing a degree which gives you the chance to do elective subjects (Arts, for example). I'm doing a non-standard structure, so clashes are always something to watch out for. :(

As for people, you'll meet them easily.

MandiMoo

HSC
What about the general change though, like does it feel the same as when u change from primary school to high school.. u kno the whole "big fish in the little bond to the little fish in the big pond" idea, or do u get used to it in the first day...

HSC
No, that's not a factor anymore because presumably people aren't still 13 upon entering University. Looking at people you can't tell what "year" they are in generally, aside from the tendency for newcomers to dress to impress, and the fact that people who have been there a few years look like they want to die.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Just thought I'd also add that if you're one of those people who always does the minimum work necessary (ie; you're a complete bludger), apply a bit of self-discipline and GO TO CLASS. Being able to skip lectures and tutorials is a freedom that gets to a lot of first year's heads, and depending on what course they're doing, hurts them badly come final exams.

Of course, if you're doing an easy course/subject, this may not apply to you - just exercise a bit of discretion so you're not stuck with five subjects that you need to cram for in one week.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
MandiMoo said:
I'm just wondering because I got into UOW through early entry and im the type of person to freak out when changes occur to their lifestyle..lol i just dont seem to handle it...

So post ur comments here about how the change was.. good/bad, easy/hard, how were the other people and stuff like that. Help me ease my trouble, worried mind..

cheers :)
oh really im gonna make ur life shit then since im going as it is in my hood :D

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
No, that's not a factor anymore because presumably people aren't still 13 upon entering University. Looking at people you can't tell what "year" they are in generally, aside from the tendency for newcomers to dress to impress, and the fact that people who have been there a few years look like they want to die.
Most of us do want to die, don't we? Or am I just a crazy goth?

Ninga

HSC
You're a goth Timmy.

You know, this question really got me thinking back and reminiscing...I remember the first time I realised that I was at uni, and it was walking along the path towads Mckinnon alongside the lawn there, and it was like a 11:30 lecture, and there was people everywhere, and it suddenly hit me that this was a lot bigger than school. Had me going for about 10mins. Then i found a few guys that I knew who were in the same class as me and i dealt with it. Its like any change, it takes a little adjustment. After 4 years of Uni you kinda realise that uni in a way is a lot like school, but with a lot more freedoms. But it is a routine in the end. You goto class, you do uni work (sometimes), you go out as much as you can, you cram for exams, you do your exams, and then holidays. And then it starts again the next year. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hey, my final exam ever in 12 hours! Ohh yeah, electric in the air if i may quote my lil sis :)

santaslayer

HSC
Freedom is bad, it fucks people like me up.
People appear to be extremely nice.
Lot more nice ladies around
Too much work
Friends seem scattered around the place. Some people have a designated place and group of friends they hang out with primarily, but then there are lot of random-ish friends as well who only know u but none of ur other friends.
Exams are shit
I just finished! :p
Travel is good. On the train with friends or with Ipod. An hour and 10mins.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
First year wasn't so bad in engineering cause the course structure is designed to make clones. Everyone does the same subjects, and we still are after 2 years :/

MandiMoo

HSC
Did u's make friends heaps quick or like gradually?? Are the lectures real long and boring or about the same as a normal school period? Man im so freaked..lol maybe thats cuz i am a freak!!!... Did/Does anyone else feel like this or am I just silly??

Ninga

HSC
You know whats probably the best thing for you to do right now? Enjoy your holidays. Spend it with people. Do stuff. Don't be obsessing or worrying about the change from high school to Uni. God knows only a few thousand other students will be starting uni at the same time as you. Im sure the probability of meeting some people that you could be friends with at a 20,000 student university is quite good, even if it is 1% that is still like...200 people. Wow.

So, sit back, relax, and enjoy the break. Its a great time. Start thinking about Uni again when you get your enrolment letter. Heck you live in Warilla, its not like the uni is far for you. Im sure you'll know people at uni already seeing as you live local.

Theres no silly questions, only silly people. Just kidding. Let me reiterate, once again, don't worry! Take it easy :)

aaaman

Banned
HSC
MandiMoo said:
Did u's make friends heaps quick or like gradually?? Are the lectures real long and boring or about the same as a normal school period? Man im so freaked..lol maybe thats cuz i am a freak!!!... Did/Does anyone else feel like this or am I just silly??
it depends on who you know there like if you know alot of your friends are going to it then you wont make many new ones and it depends on each person. The lectures vary depending on what course you do, most of them go up 2 3 hrs eacher. It is differnt from a school peroid since that theres only two simesters and your holiday in the middle is where no uni assesssments cant touch really

and yes u r a freak

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Thanks Toni, next time I'll ensure we mention your name when we fellate goats. :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
The main thing about uni I noticed is that 13 weeks is really really short and by the time you got to the finals you realise you should have been studying 5 weeks ago.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I guess for me compared with school, uni felt a lot less organised (just my perception, doesn't necessarily mean that it is) and not knowing anyone really sucked. I didn't stop waking up and dreading uni until second semester when I made some friends.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
personaly i feel the work load is much much much less... i cruised through first year and i have credit averages preety much across the board

i think you will find like i did that you will make new friends and move away from your mates back home... my friends from back home (who came to campus east) got really really shitty with me when id go out with new mates and they didnt want to go out... like i had an obligation to only hang out with them

most of them got over it when they got their own mates

give yourself to the experience, o week plus four is preety wild

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Most people just blend in when it comes to spotting the stereotypes, but there are some exceptions. Mostly:

First years:
- The dress to impress.
- The line up in 2 lines at the unibar
- The get all excited by the mentioning of groupwork.
- They're still happy after Week 5, which is the time everyone else becomes growingly despondant.

Arts Postgrad Students
- They hangout on the duckpond lawn
- They haven't done their hair since their undergraduate days.
- They dress 'differently'.

Commerce Postgrad Students
- They wear much less casual clothes than the rest of us
- They're nocturnal coming out to study in the night after they finish work

The general feel of uni when you first start is that of annonymity. You are no longer a person but rather just a number, because with 20,000 people, who bothers to learn peoples names. But however big the place is, you'll continually see the same people from those who you'll end up in the same tutorial subject after subject, to that guy you always pass when walking between classes for 4 years, who you end up just developing a relationship based solely on nods of acknowledgment because you don't actually know him, you just always walk past him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)