How was the transition from High School to UOW??? (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Ms 12 said:
I guess for me compared with school, uni felt a lot less organised (just my perception, doesn't necessarily mean that it is) and not knowing anyone really sucked. I didn't stop waking up and dreading uni until second semester when I made some friends.
I still do. :p

DrownTheCrow said:
personaly i feel the work load is much much much less... i cruised through first year and i have credit averages preety much across the board

i think you will find like i did that you will make new friends and move away from your mates back home... my friends from back home (who came to campus east) got really really shitty with me when id go out with new mates and they didnt want to go out... like i had an obligation to only hang out with them

most of them got over it when they got their own mates

give yourself to the experience, o week plus four is preety wild
As for the workload, it really depends on what subjects you're doing. Looking at MandiMoo's profile, she looks like she'll be doing mathematics. Which although might be very simple for her, there's much more work than subjects like history. History might require two essays, then you end up working like hard the night before each of those essays are due. Mathematics normally has weekly tutorial assignments. Therefore you work hard the night before your tutorial to get those complete.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
yeh thats a good point... my workload is stupidly light
but then again my mate who is doing nano technology claims that his hsc year was harder... hmmmm

one thing i will say is that if you are content with the idea that p's get degrees then you will find uni alot easier because in the hsc you have a need to do well

HSC
DrownTheCrow said:
one thing i will say is that if you are content with the idea that p's get degrees then you will find uni alot easier because in the hsc you have a need to do well
Again it'll depend on the subjects though, some of the stuff I do I go all out on and wind up with Ps, whereas during the HSC I did virtually no work and there was never a chance of coming close to a mark that bad.

MandiMoo

HSC
What P's and what is a credit point average?? And yes i plan on taking advantage of the three months i have off i was just a little freaked when i realised i no longer had a routine and i didnt belong to any institution (education not mental) anymore?

And yeh i am doing maths... BMATH and if i get uai 85 i can do BMATH (ADVANCED) i feel like the biggest nerd, but one day i WILL be rich and that will make up for it!

Thanks for the reasurance, I can rest semi-easily now!!

aaaman

Banned
HSC
MandiMoo said:
What P's and what is a credit point average?? And yes i plan on taking advantage of the three months i have off i was just a little freaked when i realised i no longer had a routine and i didnt belong to any institution (education not mental) anymore?

And yeh i am doing maths... BMATH and if i get uai 85 i can do BMATH (ADVANCED) i feel like the biggest nerd, but one day i WILL be rich and that will make up for it!

LMAO tell my father that, he would sure hit you and called you stupid lmao

Ninga

HSC
Credit average = 65 - 74% average. Reasonable. Hard to do when intoxicated. Good times :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
MandiMoo said:

with bmath (advanced) there will be about 4 people in your class. So I guess it will be a close nit group.

HSC
nit

n 1: a luminance unit equal to 1 candle per square meter measured perpendicular to the rays from the source 2: egg or young of an insect parasitic on mammals especially a sucking louse; often attached to a hair or item of clothing

I think the word you are looking for is "knit" :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Ninga said:
Credit average = 65 - 74% average. Reasonable. Hard to do when intoxicated. Good times :)
Liar. I have a very tidy average (Distinction average = 74 - 85%), and done with immense intoxication. Good times :)

MandiMoo

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
n 1: a luminance unit equal to 1 candle per square meter measured perpendicular to the rays from the source 2: egg or young of an insect parasitic on mammals especially a sucking louse; often attached to a hair or item of clothing
wtf? What is this all about?

Ninga

HSC
Geoff was just being a douchebag and correcting some dude's choice of words. He's quite the bizarre one, I've dealt with it though and accept him for who he is. Its ok Geoffy, you're just different! :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
nit

I think the word you are looking for is "knit" :)
haha, your always on the ball.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
i must admit jm, that was pretty bad grammer :D

malkin86

HSC
I'm the same way as you - I'm not a huge fan of big changes.

There was a feeling of being a little fish in a big pond - just because uni is so big (although the part of the campus that I'm expected to be in isn't that much bigger than my high school, I don't think) and with more people. (It seems bigger than it is because it's new, you don't know where the heck you're going, or where the nearest toilet/bubblers/good food place is).

You might also find, that after working to a syllabus for so long, that you get a little lost in your subject - 'what do I need to know??' style of thing. The subject outline that they'll give you on your first day is important, as is any extra stuff they point you to.

Look up where you're expected to be on your map first - this can help you reassure yourself that you're not going to get lost. It was a real help for me. And it's a good idea to show up a little early, so you can actually find the room within the building. :rolleyes:

Making friends isn't too difficult - in the first couple of weeks or so, everyone's on their very best behaviour and wanting more friends, too. A friend in second year, doing the same course as you are, would be a dream.

Profs/tutors - can be bad, can be good, can be boring, can be engaging. Same as HS, but there is a lot less external structure/nagging to your learning. Towards the end of each semester, you can critique your prof's performance anonymously - you can also critique your subjects as a whole on SOLS.
You may find that the lecturers can go off on detailed tangents that are vaguely related to the subject matter - because they've been studying the subject for so long, they know much more than can ever be crammed into an hour of lecture time, so they might get a little frustrated that they can only give you the barest picture of a topic that they know is much more complex and interesting.

SOLS is Student OnLine Services - you use it to enrol, get messages.
Your uni webmail is separate to your SOLS mail.
WebCT is a useful thing, when the profs use it properly - it's a mini-website for each of your subjects - discussion forums, lecture notes (before the lectures is ++good), a voice recording of the lectures are some typical things that you'll find there. It can also be used for quizzes. It depends on the individual lecturer as to how useful it is.

There are also other support structures available - find out which ones might be able to help you. (http://uow.edu.au/about/facilities.html)

The workload is =HSC in 13 weeks, twice a year, although I would suspect it depends on your course, the type of work you do, how seriously you take it, etc. . It's quite common for due dates for things to overlap, so you have a couple of projects due in at once.

Textbooks, workbooks (which is like a textbook for your prac work), are expensive - there is a 2nd hand shop, but they tend to sell out quick and not have the ones you want anyway.

Actually showing up to lectures/tutes/pracs is a GOOD THING - some lecturers have been known to say on the voice recording "Ok, I'm going to tell everyone who's showed up today all about the exam. Now I'm going to turn this thing off... *click*" so you're stuffed if you didn't go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)