• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How was your first day? (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
uni seems really great so far.

met alot of nice people, bumped into a friend from primary, really friendly, relaxed atmosphere, sun gleaming in your eyes as you walk down the main walkway in the morning and afternoon, the ability to sleep under the shade of a tree without getting "falconed" by a tennis ball or run over by little kids playing tips.

things which i found were not so perfect:
*one of my lecturers has a very strong indian accent, every now and then ill miss a few words.

*travelling home in the afternoon with girls from OLSH whos conversations consist mostly of "omg like look at my fone!"

*trying to communicate with international students. im trying to have a mini problem discussion with two girls next to me and right after a short explanation of something to them they just face each other and start going off in some foreign language while making quick, yet obvious glances towards me.....

i have found most of them alright, but i really prefer to sit next to people who i can have a conversation with.

*bumped into someone i recognised from high school in the year above me.
"hey man you used to go casimir right?"
"yeah..."
"hey, im Damon" *shakes hand
"umm...alright...." *walks off
"........"

*getting lost. not fun.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
*travelling home in the afternoon with girls from OLSH whos conversations consist mostly of "omg like look at my fone!"
I feel your pain, brother. Public transport with junior high schoolers is a nightmare. I'm thinking I might actually skip a train and get home 30 minutes to an hour later just so I can avoid the noise. (I can't cope with it in the afternoons, especially when I've had to get up early.)

What's OLSH, by the way?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
dion7789 said:
am i really that wierd that i havent been disappointed so far? the classes have been pretty interesting...im not that wierd am i?
You're weird for a variety of other reasons:)

*sasha*

HSC
ari89 said:
Have you had your law seminars yet?
I haven't seen you around at all yet
yeah i have. ive had all my classes. but yeah i guess we're in different ones then :p

suzieee

HSC
DeathB4Life said:
uni seems really great so far.

met alot of nice people, bumped into a friend from primary, really friendly, relaxed atmosphere, sun gleaming in your eyes as you walk down the main walkway in the morning and afternoon, the ability to sleep under the shade of a tree without getting "falconed" by a tennis ball or run over by little kids playing tips.

things which i found were not so perfect:
*one of my lecturers has a very strong indian accent, every now and then ill miss a few words.

*trying to communicate with international students. im trying to have a mini problem discussion with two girls next to me and right after a short explanation of something to them they just face each other and start going off in some foreign language while making quick, yet obvious glances towards me.....

i have found most of them alright, but i really prefer to sit next to people who i can have a conversation with.

*bumped into someone i recognised from high school in the year above me.
"hey man you used to go casimir right?"
"yeah..."
"hey, im Damon" *shakes hand
"umm...alright...." *walks off
"........"

*getting lost. not fun.
i tried to talk to one of the international students on my floor in college... we established the fact that shes 19, from japan and can't speak english very well. i think thats all she knows how to say. she seems nice tho :)

o week was great! ive made some really good friends, and ended up consuming waaaay too much alcohol... but hey, it was free! :D

lectures are ok... not too hard yet. but then, i am only doing nursing, which apparrently isnt very hard anyway :)

i still haven't been bothered toget my textbooks though! anyone else?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hahaha oh god. today (second day, but whatever) ... ok, let me just preface this by saying that me and maps do not get along. but anyway. i had a class in the bosch building first which took me absolutely forever to get to for some reason, and then my very next one was in merewether, and since i really didnt know where i was i decided to play it safe and go back the way i came (past the education building, manning, etc) and then go across the road to merewether. needless to say i was late. plus i couldnt find my room once i was actually i there. :eek: i suck at teh navigation. i discovered an easier route between the two buildings but it involves going somewhere new (oh horror, lol) so i'll have to suss it out in my break tomorrow.

teachers have been pretty awesome so far. both the lecturers i've had for education have been really nice, and the sociology lady (dr elder) is pretty cool as well. so yeah apart from my own failing to understand a map, everythings been fine.

oh and yeah i havent got my textbooks yet either, suzieee. i just won't have enough money to cover it before thursday, so yeah.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Figured out I'm half blind today and need glasses by sitting at the back of the lecture hall and all the words looked like squiggles :(

Other than that did a CAD lab and a maths lecture, boring.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Really great!

I had a really interesting Spanish lecture, and then in the afternoon had a Spanish tute. Everyone was friendly, although there were some interesting characters in the tute- like the girl who gave her (irrelevant and unnecessary) 2 cents at every chance, or the girl who was astounded that in Spanish you pronounce "Australia" differently.

Today I had sociology and psychology, and again they were great. All the lecturers have been really interesting. Also, 60 minutes is so much easier to deal with than the 80 minute lessons I had at my school in high school.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i'm loving japanese right now. mostly the fact that i can actually pronounce most of it properly :cool:
so yeah. i can totally, like, ask for phone numbers and count now. awesome.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Does "friend" in 1st year uni language mean a acquaintence where you know their name and what they're studying or does it mean someone you'll always be in contact with?

carreau

HSC
Good fun, lots and lots and lots of walking though...

One thing I don't like at the moment is everyone in first year is way too shy and/or impolite.. Like when you walk into a lecture and there's people sitting on the end of the seats who won't voluntarily move down for you, so then you have to head up the back or ask for them to shuffle over which seems a bit strange..

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
That aint impolite its just laziness. Ye people are shy but u tend to mix with them more as weeks go by, and you will meet people in more depth in tutorials, as the classes are usually smaller then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)