How well do all my subjects for next year scale? (1 Viewer)

HSC
So my subjects for next year (Yr 11) are:

English Extension 1

2U Mathematics

Economics

Legal Studies

CAFS

How many of these scale well and what doesn't scale well? This is not going to change my mind about picking them, but I would like to know.

enoilgam

HSC
I'm pretty sure EE1, advanced english and economics probably scale the best followed by maths, then legal and CAFS. You shouldnt worry too much about scaling though.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This is the order, pretty sure without consulting Table A3.

EE1...Economics.Mathematics...Adv Eng..........Legal..................Cafs
Best to worst, and yes, the dots are somewhat indicative of the scaling in between :p

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What changed your mind from Standard to Extension 1 English again? I thought you told me you were going to try Extension 1 Mathematics. :(

HSC
I have heard it is far more interesting and far more creative which is what I like, and plus it's not like Standard English is that easier. If I had put in an effort in Maths all my life, I would go for MX1. But I haven't exactly had the best education in Maths.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I have heard it is far more interesting and far more creative which is what I like, and plus it's not like Standard English is that easier. If I had put in an effort in Maths all my life, I would go for MX1. But I haven't exactly had the best education in Maths.
Okay then.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure Advanced english scales more than 2 unit maths.
In terms of scaling: (May differ for various years)
Adv Eng > Adv Maths
Ext 1 Eng > or = Ext 2 Eng
Ext 2 Maths > Ext 1 Maths > Ext 1 and Ext 2 Eng

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
I think English Extension, Mathematics and Economics scale pretty well, and together they should be good, so long as you do reasonably well.
Legal Studies to me is half-half, like there is a good amount of scaling, but a crazy amount, if you understand what i mean :L
and CAFS, does not scale well at all. CAFS is incredibly easy, and sometimes I think, why is it even counted as a 2 UNIT course :L

however, that does not mean that CAFS which scale you down low either. just try your hardest next year! and don't use next year as a chance to be the top or anything, honestly! use it as a means to figure out your studying pattern, your weaknesses and strengths, and enjoy it!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So my subjects for next year (Yr 11) are:

English Extension 1

2U Mathematics

Economics

Legal Studies

CAFS

How many of these scale well and what doesn't scale well? This is not going to change my mind about picking them, but I would like to know.
It goes: English Extension 1, Economics, Mathematics, Advanced English, Legal Studies, CAFS.

Source: 2009 Scaling Report

The first four subjects scale pretty well, Legal not so much, CAFS not really much at all.

enoilgam

HSC
It goes: English Extension 1, Economics, Mathematics, Advanced English, Legal Studies, CAFS.

Source: 2009 Scaling Report

The first four subjects scale pretty well, Legal not so much, CAFS not really much at all.
I'm suprised Advanced scales less than maths, I always thought it scaled heaps better.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, that is 'rough' scaling. That's just taking the ratio of scaled marks to HSC marks.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
really you guys need to stop worrying about scaling...

JUST DO YOUR BEST!!!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't care much for scaling BUT

Certain subjects scale so badly that if a person is picking out of another and it, they should really do the other. Also if person is equally good/equally likes two subjects, they should do the higher scaler.

The HSC is a game, and scaling is a small tactic that can be played correctly.

And YAY, Shadowdude proved my memory of table A3 pretty accurate :) For the people saying they thought Adv Eng scaled better, you may have been confused with aligning?

Last edited:

Cl324

HSC
N/A
I don't care much for scaling BUT

Certain subjects scale so badly that if a person is picking out of another and it, they should really do the other. Also if person is equally good/equally likes two subjects, they should do the higher scaler.

The HSC is a game, and scaling is a small tactic that can be played correctly.

And YAY, Shadowdude proved my memory of table A3 pretty accurate :) For the people saying they thought Adv Eng scaled better, you may have been confused with aligning?
Eco, eng adv and maths are really close so it fluctuates from year to year. In 2011 it was english> eco > maths.

English Adv 50.0 46.8 42.7 38.5 32.5 26.1
Economicss 50.0 46.7 42.6 39.0 33.3 25.4
Mathematics 50.0 46.8 42.3 38.3 32.2 24.9

^Verry close

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Realistically, English (Advanced), Economics, Mathematics and English Extension 1 all scale roughly the same, not a huge difference and you can probably just consider them as the same scaling. Legal Studies is quite far away compared to those four and CAFS is far worse than Legal Studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)