How wide is your wider reading? (1 Viewer)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
I have so far ead A Picture of Dorian Grey, Hard Times and Jane Eyre. BUT, I've been told that this is no where near the amount that is expected/required. Is anyone else in the same boat?

clerisy

HSC
I wouldn't worry. The three texts you've read are a pretty representative collection (from what I know-- I've only read Jane Eyre but have the gist of the others), so on top of prescribed texts, I think you'll have a strong enough understanding of the "ways of thinking" involved. I've always been one of those Victorian literature nerds, so have read a few over the years, but I think so long as you've got your related texts set, you'll be right. Obviously wider reading is going to "expand" your understanding of the course, but, fortunately with Individual and Society, I think the ways of thinking are pretty obvious.

If you're worried, though, and don't have time/motivation to tackle another book, maybe try a different/shorter medium (actually, that might be recommended). Poetry, film, non-fiction...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i didn't read much, only what i had to and made notes on them (that is, i read the texts, i read another short story, watched another movie and i can't remember my other texts)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
read just enough to be able to choose good related texts.

Blackalicious

HSC
Well they made us as part of an assessment to do four related texts. Two non fiction, a poem and a novel. Basically the more you have (provided the analysis is sound) the greater the impression you make on your examiner.

Rasputina

HSC
N/A
"Wider Reading"

undefinedundefinedundefined Wider reading? Are you implying that people read even when they are not forced to? :p Just kidding. Not too wide, it's hard to find the time these days. At the moment I'm reading novels by EE Cummings.

lala2

Banned
HSC
What sort of genres would you recommend for your wider reading? Novels? Short stories? Feature articles? etc etc (eh, this just applies to the whole year, both 2U and 3U courses, not just a particular topic)

Thanks...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I used a painting, a comic and a play in my essay (Importance of Being., which I'm pretty familiar with anyway :D), and I read a short story (Jeck/Hyde). Wider reading isn't needed imo.

I don't have the time nor the inclination.

HSC
N/A
I have to admit, I haven't read that much. Then again, RFTG is VERY specific. Read one, (or 6, because I'm stupid and am doing LSGOB and Heaney's poetry) you've read them all...

lala2

Banned
HSC
Do you think we should have two related texts per module/topic? That would mean I'm studying up to 14 (at least) texts in total for 2 and 3 Unit English: three cores and two related for Extension, one core plus two related per module in Advanced, and the AOS I'm not sure about....how many texts (both related and core) did you guys study in total for the 2 and 3 Unit courses?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)