• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How would one pack on muscle with basic equipment and little to no supplements (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Basically as the title says. I'm looking to gain some muscle definition using only stuff I already own like treadmills, exercise bike, push ups, running etc and perhaps things I can purchase for relatively cheap, such as dumbells. I ask this because I can't afford to shell out $80 a month in gym membership, nor can I do the same on protein supplements or the like.

Is this possible? How much red meat would I need in my diet to see results?

Chris.

HSC
if you wana gain weight in order for more muscle, for breakfast eat oates and other stuff with lots of protein like bacon and eggs (but not too much of it). Thats got lots of protein in it. Ive been stuffing myself with oates every morning and ive gained 2 kg in like one and a half weeks

lengy

HSC
I think it'd be good if you got a set of dumbells from Rebel sport. They work. Also keep on the look out for any fitness magazines with little booklets telling you the best workouts. I have one and it's pretty good, just I'm lazy.

Jiga

Id say get a bench and a dumbell/barbell set... will set you back I dunno, $250 or so. But this is a one off cost, and you can excerise every muscle with these as long as you know the correct excercies. And at the end of the day, you can resell them on ebay and get some money back!!!

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
walk up lots of hills and stairs to build your leg muscles.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You will need actual weights if you want to put on muscle. Cardio (treadmil/exercise bike/running) won't help you put on anything, it will probably help you lose weight, that's it.

You'll need to buy some freeweights or shell out for a gym membership if you want growth. Push-up/sit-ups are "okay", there are some exercise regimes out there with just those exercises, but you probably won't see the results you would with straight lifting. Either way, you'll still need to eat heaps.

Most supplements are basically a waste of money.

Last edited:

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Exercises like dips are easy to perform with no equipment. The normal kind you can do between two chairs, same goes for the reverse. Push-ups performed normally, or at an inlcine. Chin-ups, which can be done if you have any sort of bar, or even on a door frame (if it's sturdy enough). Skipping's great for the calves, as well as cardio, and of course squats. If you do each exercise slow and controlled, you'll denfinately start to feel it and see the results. You can make each harder by performing one-arm variations. Core exercises like planks, but with hands out stretched in front, are also good for the chest and back.

codydhu

AdherentFollower
HSC
My friend was telling me the other day that he went to the gym and was lifting weights and i thought, why would you bother? Considering hes about 20kg overweight, he should concentrate on energy burning exercises - like on a treadmill or a bike. Some people just dont think.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
But if it's more for self-esteem, then any exercise is better than none, gotta start somewhere. Besides, the added muscle will at least increase his metabolism at rest. As long he doesn't eat more to compensate, he'll drop fat.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
In the title you said you wanted to pack on muscle, I'm assuming that you mean you want raw muscle, this would be through high weight low rep exercises or what others have written above.

In the post itself, you said you want muscle definition. For this you want to reduce the fat % in your body to around 10%? (someone correct me, I think I'm off) At that point the abs start to become visible, or so I've heard. I can't really say, ive been skinny for long as I can remember.

As for protein, any gym rat should be able to tell you easy sources for it.

You could always go to friend's houses and leech off their equipment? I did this towards the end of the holidays with a mate's dumbells

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll look into investing into a bench press and dumbells. Does anyone know any good websites that show the right exercises?
cuppas said:
In the post itself, you said you want muscle definition. For this you want to reduce the fat % in your body to around 10%? (someone correct me, I think I'm off) At that point the abs start to become visible, or so I've heard. I can't really say, ive been skinny for long as I can remember.
My body fat's already incredibly low, I'm 183cm and hovering around 70kg, so you can see my abs or lack thereof, as well as my ribs if I lift my arms up. That's the other issue, my metabolism's geared against gaining weight.

stargaze

HSC
heya

For exercises, this is pretty decent: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php, and slightly more in-depth: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

And yeah, there are a good few push-up/dip variations, and if u have something that you can use as a chin-up/pull-up bar that would be excellent.

Good 'cheaper' sources of protein: eggs, meats, cottage cheese (low fat), canned tuna

Basically if u are pretty small-sized/skinny now, if u start eating bigger and lifting some weight, you will probably see results pretty quickly initially.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well one thing with the eggs. eat like 4 boiled eggs in the morning. Except dont eat the egg yolk since taht's just cholesterol. THe egg white is where all the protein is.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Bob.J said:
well one thing with the eggs. eat like 4 boiled eggs in the morning. Except dont eat the egg yolk since taht's just cholesterol. THe egg white is where all the protein is.
A real man drinks his eggs.

iwannarock

HSC
yep.

drink them in milo and milk. its great.

its much better than having to get a saucepan out and cook them.

lengy

HSC
i've tried to do the raw egg thing but i made me want to throw up.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
eat lots of hi protein foods (red meat etc)
protein supplements are good, if u cant afford them buy those protein popper things lol
get urself a set of adjustable freeweights (dumbells), DONT buy the rubber dumbells which are a fixed weight. the advantage of the adjustable ones is that you can start off with little weight (say, 1.25kg on each side), and work ur way up, until you can do 10+ kgs per dumbell. you can pick up a set for around the $50-$75 mark, or one that includes dumbell bars as well as a full size and/or curl bar as well as additional weight plates for about $150.
cardio stuff (like treadmills, bikes) is important just to maintain general fitness levels. theres no point putting on a whole lot of muscle if u won't be able to run 5m without stopping to catch ur breath. as a lot of people have mentioned, it generally does encourage weight loss, which is exactly what u don't want, but shortish bursts on a relatively high incline/resistance setting will build up your fitness as well as leg muscles.
as girly as this sounds, one of those exercise balls can be good to increase flexibility and do ab crunches etc, you can find heaps of info on this on the net.

anyway sorry i just wrote this up as i thought of it so it probably makes little sense but anyway hope that helps

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
Hi. I don't necessarily want to pack on muscle, but want to gain weight. I'm 6"1' and 65kg. So what foods would I eat to gain weight? Kthx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)