How would you rate your uni's accounting courses (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
It's a fairly common notion that accounting, when taught by a monotonic proffessor with a non-native English speaking background can be more powerful and mind numbing then horse tranquilizer. However in the interest of progressing beyond a junior analyst, going back to do a masters of proffesional accounting is a neccessity I will have to endure. Thus I would like to hear your opinions on how well taught, or to how much effort the various uni's (mainly Usyd, UNSW or Macq) put in to at least breathing some life and enjoyment in to their accounting subjects.

Right now I'm leaning towards UNSW, mainly based on the short youtube clip:

http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/futurest...s/masterofprofessionalaccountinggraduate.aspx
Which suggests they place some emphasis on teaching you to make innovative and strategic decisions within the realms of accounting, as apposed to purely teaching you the textbook material.
Arguably though, seeing as all uni's must fullfil the requirements set by the ICAA, I can't imagine the course content itself varying too much, and thus my interest in this post is more centred on the delivery of material.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There's an accounting lecturer at UNSW - Youngdeok Lim. Pretty awesome, despite the accent. In fact, the accent does make it seem awesome.

Another guy, Per Tronnes - plays surfing music during breaks. /memories of Accounting 1A

enoilgam

HSC
We had an accounting lecturer with a monotonic voice and Indian accent. Accounting wasnt as boring as you would expect for us - it was no where near as mind numbing as Legal History. For accounting UTS and UNSW are supposed to be the best (or so I have heard).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
0/10 worst course, was extremely close to hating a subject more than HSC english

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say it varies by lecturer because each lecturer really teaches in whichever way they feel. That being said I had a generally positive experience with accounting at UNSW throughout my degree with pretty motivated and good at presenting lecturers who tried to keep it interesting even when the material was a tad dry. Unfortunately the quality of the tutors varied as you'd expect when they offer tutor spots to anyone who is doing a masters or got a certain mark in the preceding year (i.e. being able to get a good mark does not mean you're a good teacher).

Finance on the other hand left a lot to be desired.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd say it varies by lecturer because each lecturer really teaches in whichever way they feel. That being said I had a generally positive experience with accounting at UNSW throughout my degree with pretty motivated and good at presenting lecturers who tried to keep it interesting even when the material was a tad dry. Unfortunately the quality of the tutors varied as you'd expect when they offer tutor spots to anyone who is doing a masters or got a certain mark in the preceding year (i.e. being able to get a good mark does not mean you're a good teacher).

Finance on the other hand left a lot to be desired.
Just saw you did Commerce at UNSW! I agree with the finance bit...

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Shadowdude what is your Commerce major?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
At Macq it's a mixed bag. On one hand we've got some really motivated and good lecturers - some of whom I still talk to/am genuinely friends with. Other times you get people who are less excited to be there.

With tutors, again it's a mixed bag but generally speaking they tend to be of a lesser quality than lecturers in terms of teaching style.

Tim035

HSC
Thanks for the feedback guys; I think I had my judgement skewed a bit from reading too many posts about accounting on whirlpool forums, I've since talked to friends at macquarie who were largely positive about their experiences with the courses there. Only my friend at UWS stressed that his courses were borderline unbearable, but I have no interest in attending that uni.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The UTS lecturers are all good for accounting, and the main lecturer - Prabhu Sivabalan - is am excellent lecturer who knows exactly what he's on about and when you listen to him you know it, and won't the stuff once you leave which happens to me in other lectures where you understand something but have no clue when you look at it that night.

The guy is young, Indian, no accent at all, has a PhD and is about 30 and out of my 8 subjects I've done, the best lecturer I've seen so far, actually makes me interested in accounting (weird).

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Personally I don't mind if the lecturer/tutor has an accent - as long as I can understand what they're saying and they're genuinely passionate about what they're doing. It's fantastic having someone teach you something that truly gets them excited.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
if i could have it id goto the university with the worst teaching for the scaling lol

self learn ftw

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The UTS lecturers are all good for accounting, and the main lecturer - Prabhu Sivabalan - is am excellent lecturer who knows exactly what he's on about and when you listen to him you know it, and won't the stuff once you leave which happens to me in other lectures where you understand something but have no clue when you look at it that night.

The guy is young, Indian, no accent at all, has a PhD and is about 30 and out of my 8 subjects I've done, the best lecturer I've seen so far, actually makes me interested in accounting (weird).
I know who you're talking about- I listened to him speak at a UTS open day and thought he was amazing.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
It's a fairly common notion that accounting, when taught by a monotonic proffessor with a non-native English speaking background can be more powerful and mind numbing then horse tranquilizer. However in the interest of progressing beyond a junior analyst, going back to do a masters of proffesional accounting is a neccessity I will have to endure. Thus I would like to hear your opinions on how well taught, or to how much effort the various uni's (mainly Usyd, UNSW or Macq) put in to at least breathing some life and enjoyment in to their accounting subjects.
First question - did you celebrate Accountants Day recently?

For Macquarie, the accounting program is very well-run; lots of resources and very clearly set out subjects/assessments. There are some lecturers who break the stereotype that you mentioned and really injects humour into their subjects.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have to admit, thinking back, accounting was actually pretty decent in terms of lecturers at UNSW. It really was the tutors which were a bit of a hit or miss. I had some great tutors who knew their stuff and were good at teaching, but then I also had some totally rubbish tutors who had no place in a classroom. I also quite enjoyed my legal lecturers (i.e. the legal-related subjects which are pre-req subjects for CA/CPA).

It was the finance subjects which were the most iffy in terms of lecturer quality. Funnily enough, I think all my finance tutors were good.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
My tutor was super Chinese and I didn't understand anything she said, when she said "ledger" I thought she said "ladder" and I also didn't understand that Korean lecturer Youngduck Lim, something about the Korean accent that makes me fall asleep.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My tutor was super Chinese and I didn't understand anything she said, when she said "ledger" I thought she said "ladder" and I also didn't understand that Korean lecturer Youngduck Lim, something about the Korean accent that makes me fall asleep.
wat.

Youngdeok Lim's accent is awesome! Made it very entertaining for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)