How would you study for the SC? (1 Viewer)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Hey guys,

As you no doubt should know by now, my question is this:

How would you study for the SC??? In maths especially..OMG OMG OMG. I did baad in that exam (50-something percent) and i dont really know HOW to study for the SC. Oh, and science, i did the past sc papers and i've been getting a lot of them wrong...

I know it doesnt count, and its a friggin joke, but its one hell of a joke thats gonna get me in a heap of trouble by my parents.

I want to do good as well (confidence mostly) and any advice on what to study (NOT HOW to study...i already got that here...gee this is a helpful forum :) )

Thanks guys, as we speak my parents are screaming at me..... :burn:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Brush up on your basics!! Seriously....

First, you need to realise what kind of questions you get wrong the most. MC or response ones?

As for non-calculator, 99% of the time your answer will work out as a neat number or result to some form of simple calculation. If you worked out a answer that are hopelessly long or you are going "wtf i cant do that without a calculator" then you are probably wasting your time doing the wrong thing.

Go and do pass papers and make a list (if you are willing to put in the word) of what topics/skills/questions you stuffed up/unclear/don't know how to work out and work on it.

And remeber there are always questions at the end that make alot of people go WTF. Make sure u remember to clear your mind and think clearly.

And relax it's on only the SC^^......The hard stuff is coming up:)

PS. Your parents gets pissed if you stuff up your exams?

T

Testpilot

Simple: Don't! Its SC, its a) shit easy that a monkey could pass and b) it doesn't count for anything-you'll never use it if you go past year 10.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Testpilot said:
Simple: Don't! Its SC, its a) shit easy that a monkey could pass and b) it doesn't count for anything-you'll never use it if you go past year 10.
You obvilously dont realise he/she has tightass parents which chucks a psycho at him/her and probably ground him/her for 2 month if he/she fail his/her exams?? lol

T

Testpilot

z600 said:
You obvilously dont realise he/she has tightass parents which chucks a psycho at him/her and probably ground him/her for 2 month if he/she fail his/her exams?? lol
My parents are like that and i spent the holidays before SC on a school exchange in Japan and didn't study and still got all 90s because the tests are easy.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
lol alright guys, thanks for the info.

yeah, my parents often gets VERY upset when i dont do well. They say that if its so "easy" that i should get 100%....pfft....some people you just cant argue with i guess....

Yeah, so thanks fot he info, i'm also worried that if i do shit in the sc, ext. 1 maths could also be a problem, which = me getting a low UAI. Thats what im really worried about.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Testpilot said:
My parents are like that and i spent the holidays before SC on a school exchange in Japan and didn't study and still got all 90s because the tests are easy.
I think his/her parents expect a 100% I dont think alot of parents understand that getting all pissed is deconstructive. I mean if their kids did their best....they should find ways to improve that "best" not getting all pissed and send their kid to tuition 5 times a week.

Neurox

HSC
SC maths is easy, if youre in advanced maths. Just brush up on basics, there arent any challenging questions, just the time constraints mean u need some speed in calculating, especially in non-calculator portion of the exam. If you know your basics, you shouldnt have any trouble answering the questions. Dont think so complex if the question looks hard, just use your basic knowledge of the topic being tested and youll be fine, SC maths is pretty basic.

In the calculator part of the exam, if you dont know ur stuff, then youre gonna stuff up. For my trials, there were many algebra questions, shapes (properties+construction of angles, shapes, etc), nets of objects, 1 trigo, and some coordinate geometry questions. Just grasp the concepts, and you should do well in SC. Also do those practise exams on BOS, if you wanna test yourself.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
For History and Geography, would revising your contents and doing past papers be sufficient? I mean, can you actually do practise essays?

HSC
N/A
I don't think I'll bother.

Probably revise Hist/Geo stuff the night before, but that's about it.

Neurox

HSC
yes i agree, u need to study geo and history to get good marks. also you should also know how to read synoptic charts and coordinates, like Area reference and grid references and stuff like warm and cold fronts. i think these questions are always in the SC and theyre easy once you know how to do them. also there are some interpreting of sources in history that alot of people get confused about, but its easy. the rest is just regurgitating all the knowledge youve gained throughtout the year.

btw: pay attention in your history/geo class if you wanna do well. i actually did this for once, and without study, i got around 80% for my trials for both subjects.

Last edited:

Cpt obvious

HSC
You can do the multi choice Questions here:
http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/

Do them for a bit before you exams make sure you know. Seriously If take a "NO Worries" attitude into the exams you cant do bad. It is not that hard at all. I got Band 5's (I know they are not so good) But I sat there and talked to the examiner the whole exam. I got 49% in science and 35% in intermedate maths at school and got 80 something for science and 79* for math(I mark off band 5:mad1: ). Practice essays are not needed. For histroy convince yourself you love it and then you will want to read your notes hence gain marks if you want to be a real dork and go for band 6 and use some quotes I dont any one that did though:wave: The School certificate is the easiest test you will ever sit!!!

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
S1M0, was that an error or something that your HSC year is "2007"? o.0

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Is that also the case for English and Science? Just do past papers, know your content and practise some different text type questions (for English)?

James747

HSC
Kujah said:
Is that also the case for English and Science? Just do past papers, know your content and practise some different text type questions (for English)?
I dunno.... =P
I find english one of the hardest/ most difficult subject to "study" for..... like for maths, yeah go do questions and find where u went wrong. But english... do the questions, get them wrong but don't know why... ==" Same for the long responses.... its hard to know what they expect u to write for a full mark essay.

Ironically, having said this, english was the subject I done best in the trials, in terms of ranking... =D

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
airie said:
S1M0, was that an error or something that your HSC year is "2007"? o.0
Guess it is, i'm too lazy to change it.

Oh and i'm male by the way. Again, too lazy to change it.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
would starting to study this week be appropriate? I think cramming will work :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)