HPF’s English Advanced Musings (1 Viewer)

harrypotterfan

HSC
Hey guys, I’m HPF (because I know it must be very hard to read my username :p) and because I was taking some time off from study, I thought I’d use it to put up some things about English Advanced.

First up, my credentials: Well I have none LOL. I just did the English HSC less than a week ago so yup nothing to say. But having finished school and having completed the exam, I do feel like there are some things that worked for me over the year or that in retrospect I think “omg I should have done that instead” and I thought I’d share it for the 2015ers, 2016ers (and any other younger grades if you guys exist on BOS)—more so as passing down my experience than so much “this is how you approach things”.

Because I have no credentials (plus because I am not too sure about my own HSC performance in English), you’re fully allowed to throw anything I say down the drain and/or offer my ‘advice’ the harshest feedback. Use your judgment and your discretion at what you want to take away. What I feel may have worked for me may actually not me the right thing, inb4 didn’t “work for me” at all and I get a Band 4 in English. These are simply things that helped me gain marks internally—to give a general idea I came equal first (according to head teacher, internally they considered me as second) for Advanced English at a top 5 school.

The structure of HSC English: So in case you guys don’t know (if you’re a 2015er I really hope you do… lol), the English external assessment involves two examinations: Paper 1 and Paper 2.
Paper 1 consists of 3 sections: comprehension (15 marks), creative (15 marks) and extended response (usually an essay, worth 15 marks). The ‘theme’ of this section is the Area of Study, so ‘Discovery’ from 2015.
Paper 2 consists of 3 sections as well: Module A (20 marks), Module B (20 marks) and Module C (also 20 marks).
You have 2 hours for each of the examinations.

Dealing with HSC English:
I know it drives many people insane that there appears to be no work: marks ratio in English, and this is probably the most infuriating thing about the subject. I understand that its probably the most annoying thing in the world when some people who are just naturally better at reading, or like better writers or whatever get better marks when others don’t because of this unfair advantage in life. Or maybe you feel like you don’t “get” how to study the subject (something it took me quite a while to figure out too), and that’s perfectly normal because lets face it: the syllabus is vague, subject is subjective (haha) and marks seem to be awarded based on the colour of the marker’s shirt.

I’ve noticed that there are two main approaches to HSC English that have been proven to work, but both have a common base. Before I get into what these approaches are, let me explain what the ‘base’ is.

It’s essentially a thorough understanding of what is expected of you. So many of the all-rounder students who seem to be good at every single subject except English seem to be this way because they don’t know what’s expected. And of course, I don’t consider myself a “top student” or like “really good at English” (I haven’t even finished my hsc yet, let alone gotten results for it), but I do think that I’ve somewhat figured out what they want. Here these things are:

- An ability to propose an argument. The subject is not so much about the fundamentals of English language as it is about literature… and if you look up any literature/theology subject in university you’ll notice that the key aims are analysing, critically thinking and communicating. This is something I realised during the two week holiday between year 11 and year 12—and I think this is the most important thing about English. Like yeah sure some of the things that you have to ‘analyse’ and ‘think about’ are just plain stupid, but that’s what the subject wants you to do and if you want to get a good English mark you MUST do those things. They want you to formulate an argument—simply recounting your texts or providing a synopsis will not be enough. This is an area I particularly like arguing (haha) with people about (whether you need a ‘unique original’ argument to be in top band) and I shall explain my views later when I have more time.
- An ability to provide evidence for your argument: anyone who’s done any history will know that this is very true—you can’t say “this event changed the lives of millions of people” without arguing how it did so, and explaining this with concrete evidence e.g. “800 people died and more than 1600 were injured, which contributed immensely to the significance of this day”—like can you see how the evidence makes things more believable? You’re not Obama, no one is going to take your word for things just because you said so. You must provide evidence.

In English, this evidence is in the form of QUOTES and TECHNIQUES. It is imperative that you be able to quote effectively and meaningfully from your texts, and to provide suitable techniques for them, because quotes without techniques are ‘empty quotes’ and borderline on storytelling.

So make sure that you
a) Learn your basic techniques really well (you should be able to see any set of words and immediately think “omg a simile!!!!!!!!!!!” Basic techniques are the ones that you’re probably familiar with from junior school and even primary school, and include things such as similes and metaphors, personification, onomatopoeia etc
b) Learn techniques specific to your medium: I think this is a distinguishing factor between essays—an understanding of textual form. So learn techniques specific to your text, e.g. if you’re studying a play such as Shakespeare’s stuff, use techniques such as soliloquy, aside, exposition etc. If you’re talking about a film, use techniques such as montage, misc-en-scene etc.
c) Learn some more ‘complex’ techniques as the need demands it. How you convey your argument is entirely dependent on the evidence that you provide, so better evidence (i.e. techniques) = stronger argument. I would really recommend (from personal experience, especially) to look up some theories that are traditionally relevant to your arguments. Examples include more sophisticated techniques (e.g. pathetic fallacy etc), as well as an understanding of some things relevant to your text. An example of this is my research on Hamlet. I looked up the Aristotelian tragedy and noticed that there were several key elements to it, such as exposition, denouement etc. Now proceed to use those words, e.g. “Hamlet’s exposition stresses…” rather than simply “Hamlet said”—the event itself becomes kind of like a technique. I’m not sure if I made sense in this one, so I will reword this later if I have time, meanwhile ask me if you have any questions.

- An ability to effectively communicate your argument. So you may have the most sophisticated argument ever, but no one’s going to know about it (and hence no marks) until you say it. It’s not so much a competition of who has the most fancy language (my essays have pretty simplistic language tbh, so I can’t say anything here LOL), but more so whether you can convey the point you want to eloquently and clearly. Eloquent language is different to fancy words: its more so to do with the phrasing and your syntax, the way you express your ideas. I shall expand on this later.
- A careful analysis of the syllabus (I shall provide my personal dissection of the discovery rubric later)—I shall explain this in more detail later too.

The APPROACHES to HSC English: from my observations, there have been 3 successful methods of approaching HSC English. You must choose the method which is the most appropriate for you. Experiment where you can at home, rather than come to exam time and feel underprepared etc. There will obviously be other approaches, and if you have a method that works for you, then definitely do stick with it. Don’t worry if people are going “it’s not going to work”, they don’t know anything. You do, and you’re the boss—if it works it works. These are the ones that I think are most commonly done:
- Method 1: the Generic Essay Method
- Method 2: the Quotes and Techniques Method (my fave <3)
- Method 3: the Memorise and Select Paragraphs Method (similar to method 1)
I shall describe these in more detail in my next post, what they entail and how to use the methods effectively. Later I shall also be decoding the discovery rubric, but now I must get back to study LOL because I need an ATAR.

Hope I can help out somehow though. As I said before, I have no idea of my English abilities as of yet because I have not received my results and I’m honestly not sure how I did in HSC. This is just a collection of my positive and negative experiences which I hope you guys can use to your advantage :)

Last edited:

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Re: HPF’s English Advanced Stuff

Legendary advice from a legendary English student, thanks heaps hpf :D

Mods need to sticky this

iStudent

HSC

Nice advice :D
Hey can you include a guide on how to write as fast too? (doesn't have to be to the point that your hand breaks.. but fast). What did you do to reach your awesome writing speeds?

mreditor16

HSC

Nice advice :D
Hey can you include a guide on how to write as fast too? (doesn't have to be to the point that your hand breaks.. but fast). What did you do to reach your awesome writing speeds?
her's did :/

btw great job HPF, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to harrypotterfan again."

just some advice - I think the thread title is a bit misleading, you might want to change it. It sounds like you're giving away your essays or resources ot something like that. :/

great job again :D

iStudent

HSC

her's did :/

btw great job HPF, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to harrypotterfan again."

just some advice - I think the thread title is a bit misleading, you might want to change it. It sounds like you're giving away your essays or resources ot something like that. :/

great job again :D
Yea it's a reference to that. xD
Like how do you write? writing style?
What pen do you use even? lol

harrypotterfan

HSC

Yea it's a reference to that. xD
Like how do you write? writing style?
What pen do you use even? lol
Haha thanks for your replies guys :) Yep mreditor I shall change the title later when I can think of a better one loool

Um basically before you write fast, please take caution. Pretty sure you guys know my hand story, let me assure you its no fun :p

As for some things that I think works when wanting to write fast:
- Thinking while you write (personally I think best when I'm writing, depends on the person). This way you are able to think of your next sentences and keep track of your essay whilst still getting information on paper. The disadvantage with this though (and this definitely applies to me) is that you may potentially end up rambling and/or writing in convoluted sentences, which are just confusing, biomechanically inefficient, and annoying. So make sure to pause every now and then!
- Use the right pen (I write better with lighter pens, in exams I usually use the k-mart pens or like papermate haha). If you write better with thin pens, remove the lid for added speed. Some people like thicker pens more, they're better for your hands and you have more control, except more weight= slower usually. Ink pens I think are the smoothest, but at the same time I avoid them during exams because they may not dry fast and/or smudge i.e. act as a nuisance
- Train your hand muscles. Obviously if you write lots, you'll write faster haha. But moderation (or else a stress fracture is waiting)
- Know that you can change your handwriting style as the need arises. Personally, my normal handwriting is quite neat, I'm pretty proud of it :p Its joined up and allows me to peak at 33 words per minute. But if I want to write faster, like in exams or when making notes (and I'm trying to be more efficient), then I usually ditch it and write really big with vertical, non-joined up font that allows me to reach 37ish words per minute
- Have the right grip--> year 11 is probably too late to change, but hey if you have younger siblings or something at least remind them of their grip, they'll benefit
- Don't hold your pen with Death's Clutch (dat personification hehe), its not going to fly out of your hand. And don't press too hard on the paper. Keep your wrist flexible

That's all I can think of lol. But remember its not the quantity of what you write, its the quality. I'd say 1000 words per essay is ample (I'm just weird), don't over-fatigue your hand or over-challenge yourself-- its not worth it for both your hands, and also for finishing the paper on time.

iStudent

HSC

Nice tips :D
I'm very keen to see your handwriting (in exams) :)

teridax

HSC
N/A

Hey! Just read your thread, some great tips that will be useful for me. :)

I was wondering, as someone who so far had to suffer under the furor that is of advanced english, I found that it has taken a substantial chunk of my study time when I should be focusing on my other 5 subjects (I'm doing 12 units btw). It's not my favourite subject in the world, but I guess I'm doing alright, as reflected in my above-average marks for the year 11 yearly (70-80%). And as arrogant as it sounds, I honestly don't want to be spending so much time on a subject that I feel is eating away my other subjects. Rather, I want to know how to do the minimum I can, yet still attain great results since English is subjective as hell.

So yeah, how do I ensure my study for English is effective but does not get in the way of my other units?

Sinyeta

HSC
N/A

I was wondering, as someone who so far had to suffer under the furor that is of advanced english, I found that it has taken a substantial chunk of my study time when I should be focusing on my other 5 subjects (I'm doing 12 units btw). It's not my favourite subject in the world, but I guess I'm doing alright, as reflected in my above-average marks for the year 11 yearly (70-80%). And as arrogant as it sounds, I honestly don't want to be spending so much time on a subject that I feel is eating away my other subjects. Rather, I want to know how to do the minimum I can, yet still attain great results since English is subjective as hell.

So yeah, how do I ensure my study for English is effective but does not get in the way of my other units?
above average......that's way below our average. You need to improve I suggest

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

Having just sat HSC English myself, the points HPF has raised are so on point (hehe)!! I think she's hinted at it slightly with the emphasis on critically thinking, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure your essays and stuff have developed insight!! It usually discriminates a B from an A, and I realised this after trials, so I just want to put this out there and reiterate her point :) :)

Thanks for writing this, I hope a lot of 2015ers benefit from your sagacity :p

You need to practice writing succinctly and develop insight. I suggest taking a short while to brainstorm concepts that further develops your ideas etc. after reading your texts, so your essays have a strong conceptual base. Then a lot is to do with practice unfortunately. I really recommend sticking to the PEEL method (point, example, effect, link) because it keeps everything really neat (short answers AND essay paragraphs)

teridax

HSC
N/A

Having just sat HSC English myself, the points HPF has raised are so on point (hehe)!! I think she's hinted at it slightly with the emphasis on critically thinking, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure your essays and stuff have developed insight!! It usually discriminates a B from an A, and I realised this after trials, so I just want to put this out there and reiterate her point :) :)

Thanks for writing this, I hope a lot of 2015ers benefit from your sagacity :p

You need to practice writing succinctly and develop insight. I suggest taking a short while to brainstorm concepts that further develops your ideas etc. after reading your texts, so your essays have a strong conceptual base. Then a lot is to do with practice unfortunately. I really recommend sticking to the PEEL method (point, example, effect, link) because it keeps everything really neat (short answers AND essay paragraphs)
Thanks for your responses!!!! :D :D Also, how would critical thinking be displayed in your essay responses?

Machiavelli1

HSC

Thanks for your responses!!!! :D :D Also, how would critical thinking be displayed in your essay responses?
You need to present original and insightful analysis of your texts. Don't rehash your teacher's analysis or something you got online. Actually read into the text and look for an inner meaning, also look into critical theories. Relate these theories to your text. Read what critics have to say about your text this will help you gain a critical mindset.

beachee99

HSC

Critical thinking mostly is determined by the depth and detail of your thesis (When us English teachers say Depth and Detail the closest translation would be Quality and Quantity) - and how well this is sustained through evidence. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be original to be critical but certainly should be insightful. The likelihood of being 'original' when 10,000+ other students are doing the exact same question as you is unlikely.

beachee99

HSC

Weighted pens can only do so much - a well planned response increases your ability to write continuously and reduce breaks that lower your wpm. Also consider altering your writing style (i.e. i have had tutoring students who say they struggle with writing speed - to then find that they still pretty much write in print) A semi-cursive style will be fast and should still remain legible. Also - maintain handwritten work throughout the year not just in preparation for assessments - not only has cognitive research shown that handwritten encoding strategies work better than typed, but it builds your hands over all muscle memory and stamina for writing. If copying information - give yourself a constrained time limit - to push yourself to write at full pace for bursts at a time - slowly increase the length of these time limits until you can write at full speed for longer and longer.

harrypotterfan

HSC

Weighted pens can only do so much - a well planned response increases your ability to write continuously and reduce breaks that lower your wpm. Also consider altering your writing style (i.e. i have had tutoring students who say they struggle with writing speed - to then find that they still pretty much write in print) A semi-cursive style will be fast and should still remain legible. Also - maintain handwritten work throughout the year not just in preparation for assessments - not only has cognitive research shown that handwritten encoding strategies work better than typed, but it builds your hands over all muscle memory and stamina for writing. If copying information - give yourself a constrained time limit - to push yourself to write at full pace for bursts at a time - slowly increase the length of these time limits until you can write at full speed for longer and longer.
I disagree with the idea of planned responses being the only suitable method haha

harrypotterfan

HSC

beachee99

HSC

I disagree with the idea of planned responses being the only suitable method haha

That would be excellent - if that was the only method I had suggested. Undeniably - the better planned a response - the less breaks for thought you need to take. Having watched exams all this year I saw a year 10 student waste 6.5 minutes of a 45 minute task from pausing and thinking in mid air.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)