HSC 2002 School Rankings (1 Viewer)

spratt_jg

Originally posted by Ragerunner
But, where a school is ranked can make a difference to your attitude towards work. If you are surrounded by smart students and competition is high then you have better motivation to do well, whereas being in a poor school can result in bad atmosphere/environment and hence less motivation to study.
Really? I think there's more to it, isn't there..like ur school's performance affects the technical aspects of how the UAI is calulated,, scaling and so forth?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by spratt_jg
Really? I think there's more to it, isn't there..like ur school's performance affects the technical aspects of how the UAI is calulated,, scaling and so forth?
When it comes to the marks being processed by the school, the BOS/UAC do not take account of what school you go to. They simply just use the marks they are given and 'have their way with it' :D

i.e. scaling/aligning.

How a subject scales/aligns also has nothing to do with your school.

spratt_jg

Originally posted by Ragerunner
When it comes to the marks being processed by the school, the BOS/UAC do not take account of what school you go to. They simply just use the marks they are given and 'have their way with it' :D

i.e. scaling/aligning.

How a subject scales/aligns also has nothing to do with your school.
Dood..that sound so wrong, the assesments at one school couldve have been easier/harder to other schools....so they do look at the overall performance of a school to figure that out.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by spratt_jg
Dood..that sound so wrong, the assesments at one school couldve have been easier/harder to other schools....so they do look at the overall performance of a school to figure that out.
Yes, assessments at school could be easier/harder than other schools. This is taken care of in the moderation process.

The only exam that can be compared statewide is the HSC exam which is a common exam that everyone does.

When the marks you get at school are sent to the Board of Studies, they undergo moderation which will change the marks to compensate for the differences in difficulties in school assessments. The only thing that is used from the school is the ranking and the relative differences between the students.

The exam marks you get from the HSC will result in a pool of marks for your school. These marks are distributed according to ranks.

So if you came 1st in School, you will receive the highest exam mark as your moderated assessment mark. If you came 5th you will receive the mark (but not equal) to the 5th highest.

Now do you see its fairness?

Anyway, this process ensures that the marks receive can properly be used to determine assessment marks because its a common exam the whole state does.

As said, its true that schools have varying difficulties in tests which is why it cannot be compared to other schools. And the BOS does not look at what school you go to when they determine your marks.

MMchen

hey i was wondering if anyone knows how much schools is there doing the HSC this year..or any year..

Filakia

my school is prob like 400th position....bethany college eeeeee

could some one please do an estimate uai for me please?

IPT- 8/70
Math 2u- 13/42
business- 7/31
Italian beginners- 5/10
Eng Adv- 37/39

would n e one b able to tell me how badly my eng rank will drag me down?? A biiiiiiiiiit scared for that one...should have done standard hey!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Mount Druitt could be one of the worst.

I think they had a UAI average of 44.

D

david_da_idiot

[Edit: Don't be an Idiot] - Ragerunner

Last edited by a moderator:

coroneos

I wonder how many people on this forum are from James Ruse.
I bet none because they are too busy studying in their free time!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Filakia, Your English will definitely have a large impact on you because it has to count.

What type of marks are you getting on it?

Filakia

basically pass marks.... 55% and 60%

even with a rank like that, if i pull up in the exams and get like band 5 or 4 for eng can it make a difference? or has my rank totally stuffed me?

jackie_23

If your school isn't in the top 120, does it mean my UAI is screwed? Someone please answer :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Doesn't really that much whether your school is in the Top 120. Because, if you're at the bottom or well below average in most, you're still going to fair worse than people at the top or very near the top of non-Top 120 school. (Exceptions with schools in say, Top 20.)

michaelirish

HSC
N/A
I would like to hear the views of the Board on the practice of Selective schools admitting students in Yr 11 from the local comprehensive schools.
It seems to me a terrible practice.
In my view Selective schools should NOT admit students after the Yr 7 intake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)