HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

I'm not sure if your proof for n=k+1 is correct. You say you want to prove , but you haven't really done so. I think what you should do is say RTP , and then say "Consider the difference". Then simplify, show that the expression (you end up with ) is >0, and then go back to what you started with to show and hence . If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
I also think you made a good point in this question. I should state' consider the difference' or like the explanation Kinney has assigned a letter 'E' to represent the differences.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

In how many ways can 2 men, 2 women and 2 boys be arranged in a row if the two boys are to remain together? A) 40 B) 60 C) 120 D) 240

rand_althor

HSC

In how many ways can 2 men, 2 women and 2 boys be arranged in a row if the two boys are to remain together? A) 40 B) 60 C) 120 D) 240
Is it D? We have M M W W B B. If we consider the boys to be one group. we have M M W W BB, which can be arranged 5! ways. The boys can be arranged 2! ways. So we have 5!2!=240.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Is it D? We have M M W W B B. If we consider the boys to be one group. we have M M W W BB, which can be arranged 5! ways. The boys can be arranged 2! ways. So we have 5!2!=240.
The answer is different if it was 2 identical black balls, 2 identical white balls and 2 identical magneta balls ?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

The answer is different if it was 2 identical black balls, 2 identical white balls and 2 identical magneta balls ?
Yes, because in this case the items of same colour are identical. In the case with people, people in the same "class" (i.e. man, woman, or boy) are not identical.

braintic

HSC
N/A

Assuming you mean that the two black balls must be adjacent, you are essentially creating a 5-letter word from the letters W, W, M, M and BB.
So the count would be 5!/(2!2!)

braintic

HSC
N/A

In how many ways can 5 men, 5 women, 5 girls and 3 boys be arranged in a line if all the children must be together, but no two boys can be adjacent?

kawaiipotato

HSC

In how many ways can 5 men, 5 women, 5 girls and 3 boys be arranged in a line if all the children must be together, but no two boys can be adjacent?
Arrange the girls first = 5!
Ways for boys to slip between the girls = 6P3
Arranging everyone, with the children as one item = 11!
Total = 5! * 6P3* 11! = 5.7x10^11 ... a very large number

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

A) n=2 B) n=3 C) n=4 D) n=5

I know the rule for nPr= n!/(n-r)! , someone give me a kick start to this question. When I do it I have 'n terms' cancelling with each other.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

A) n=2 B) n=3 C) n=4 D) n=5

I know the rule for nPr= n!/(n-r)! , someone give me a kick start to this question. When I do it I have 'n terms' cancelling with each other.
Just sub. in values of n in the options (trial and error).

braintic

HSC
N/A

Arrange the girls first = 5!
Ways for boys to slip between the girls = 6P3
Arranging everyone, with the children as one item = 11!
Total = 5! * 6P3* 11! = 5.7x10^11 ... a very large number
It's also possible to do it by arranging the boys first, but it requires a bit more thought.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Im ashamed to say I still can't get the answer after your hint.
If none of the options work, there is something wrong with the question, maybe a typo. You can try solving for n too by rewriting each side in terms of factorials; if there is no solution, there is something wrong with the question most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)