HSC 2015 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittergal96

HSC
Re: MX2 2015 Integration Marathon

Another way to look at it is this: Invert the function, restricting the range so that where
For small theta, , and as a corollary,
This means that any improper integral "all the way out over there" to negative infinity will be very close to the improper integral from "all the way out there" to negative infinity of . Since the improper integral of e^x in this given bound is finite, the improper integral of our case is also finite, otherwise approximation would fail to exist. Since the rest of the integral from "all the way out there" to here at x=0 is also finite, then that means the improper integral over the entire domain is finite. Ergo, our original integral must also be finite since it is identical.
Sure, this is just performing an additional substitution on mine. You could do other substitutions as well if you preferred for whatever reason.

All that matters is that the integrand is asymptotic to log(x) near the origin, and that this is integrable.

leehuan

HSC

Haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if it's easier or harder than the one I did identical to this.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if it's easier or harder than the one I did identical to this.

It's doable. I've done it before, but it is incredibly messy and non simplifiable. In fact, any specific case of is expressable in terms of elementary functions, but the general case requires the hypergeometric function (non-elementary)
Edit: hmmm... we should have a specific case as a multiple choice question... lol

Last edited:

snail489

HSC

We get this horrid thing:
bd520d0ea5.png

By rewriting it as 3u^3/(u^6+1) where u^3=tanx, and then decomposing it into a giant partial fraction of quadratic factors.

leehuan

HSC

It's doable. I've done it before, but it is incredibly messy and non simplifiable. In fact, any specific case of is expressable in terms of elementary functions, but the general case requires the hypergeometric function (non-elementary)
Edit: hmmm... we should have a specific case as a multiple choice question... lol
Makes sense if they can all be expressed in elementary functions I suppose.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

I have a feeling it's been asked already but

Could you pls link me to an image (or something) of that? LaTeX images are stuffing up for me on my computer atm, all I see is a little white/blue/green square. Thx

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Could you pls link me to an image (or something) of that? LaTeX images are stuffing up for me on my computer atm, all I see is a little white/blue/green square. Thx
Second that. Not sure why, and nobody can explain it.

Ekman

HSC

We get this horrid thing:
View attachment 32418

By rewriting it as 3u^3/(u^6+1) where u^3=tanx, and then decomposing it into a giant partial fraction of quadratic factors.
Just a heads up, you can reduce 3u^3/(u^6+1) into 3/2 * x/(x^3+1) by letting u^2 = x, so it would be a little more cleaner.

leehuan

HSC

daum_equation_1442791266754.png

It was working when I first posted it.

If it doesn't work then... whatever

1/sqrt((sinx+cosx)(1+cosx)); x=0; x=pi/2

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

'Kay, got the correct answer, but I find myself unable to justify removing the (I used t-substitution)
Im pretty sure this is from BOS trial 2014 the only way i think it could be solved is t method

leehuan

HSC

Im pretty sure this is from BOS trial 2014 the only way i think it could be solved is t method
Lol he got me. (Whilst you're here where are the answers I can't find them in the search D: )

rand_althor

HSC

Lol he got me. (Whilst you're here where are the answers I can't find them in the search D: )

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

This is one of those Wolfram cannot do, but we can. Try a substitution.
(Also, do you always jump straight to wolfram? Shame on you... tsk tsk tsk :tongue:)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

My bank of integral tricks isn't really that large, but if I try adding those two integrals up I don't get anywhere either..

And wolfram does give an answer. pi log2.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

My bank of integral tricks isn't really that large, but if I try adding those two integrals up I don't get anywhere either..

And wolfram does give an answer. pi log2.
Take out the negative. Look at your domain of integration. Take out the power. I have completed a similar integral before on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)