• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

Connected to what?
To each other. They all meet at the destination but the roads that are connected you have to go through all pf them to make it to the destination

braintic

HSC
N/A

To each other. They all meet at the destination but the roads that are connected you have to go through all pf them to make it to the destination
I'm afraid I can't picture what you are describing. Surely if three roads start from here, then each 'connect' again at the destination, then you only need one road to get there. And these roads that aren't connected ... do they just end in a cul-de-sac? I don't know what you mean by 'not connected'.

Drsoccerball

HSC

I'm afraid I can't picture what you are describing. Surely if three roads start from here, then each 'connect' again at the destination, then you only need one road to get there. And these roads that aren't connected ... do they just end in a cul-de-sac? I don't know what you mean by 'not connected'.
Lets say to get somewhere you have to use one road, that road uses another road and that uses another road so theyre connected. The other roads go directly to the destination

braintic

HSC
N/A

Lets say to get somewhere you have to use one road, that road uses another road and that uses another road so theyre connected. The other roads go directly to the destination
So what's the difference between three connected roads and one long road made up of three segments? I'm still missing something here.

Ekman

HSC

So what's the difference between three connected roads and one long road made up of three segments? I'm still missing something here.
What he is trying to say is that from your starting point, there are 2 direct roads to your destination and there is one path consisting of 3 roads. Thus in total there are 3 paths that you can take from your starting point till your destination.

braintic

HSC
N/A

What he is trying to say is that from your starting point, there are 2 direct roads to your destination and there is one path consisting of 3 roads. Thus in total there are 3 paths that you can take from your starting point till your destination.
So kind of like series and parallel electric circuits?

I'm getting (1-p)² - (1-p)⁵.

Ekman

HSC

So kind of like series and parallel electric circuits?

I'm getting (1-p)² - (1-p)⁵.
Actually what Drsoccerball wanted was p^3 + p^3(1-p) + p^3(1-p)^2

braintic

HSC
N/A

Actually what Drsoccerball wanted was p^3 + p^3(1-p) + p^3(1-p)^2
Yes, my answer was wrong.
I'm getting your answer in a different form:
p^2 - p^2 (1-p)^3

It simplifies to the same thing, but could you explain your logic for that form of the answer.

Chlee1998

HSC

Lol glitter is back. Glitter y u no state rank.....

Chlee1998

HSC

Also Glitter, were there any maths questions which you struggled with/not able to do during your HSC year? If so, can u provide an example? Just curious

glittergal96

HSC

Silly mistakes. Better at solving hard problems than doing lots of easy ones without stuffing up.

Can't remember any HSC/trials qs I had major problems with, but I spent most of my time trying olympiad problems and teaching myself some uni maths. Some of those were too hard for me.

Ekman

HSC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)