HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

lol part (i) is too simple to be true and is irrelevant, maybe it means find P(a+b+c) i guess ?

Edit: oh he actually meant P(a)+P(b)+P(c), and he wanted this result used for part (iii): P(x)=x^3-(a+b+c)x^2+(ab+bc+ca)x-abc, and sub. x=a, b, c and use P(a)+P(b)+P(c)=0, so

and using the result of part (ii), the desired result follows.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Guys, would appreciate it if you let the current HSC students have some breathing room to participate in this marathon.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

Can you explain why

I wasn't familiar with a formal proof of this until a few minutes ago when I looked it up - it can apparently be proven using L'Hopital's rule. However, when I first encountered the original question (lim x -> 0 of xlnx) a while ago, I was happy to accept that it was 1, because I had seen a graph of the function before.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Without L'Hôpital,

We can start off with the limit (this is allowed to be assumed for HSC I'm pretty sure, but then again, it has L'Hôpital built into it of course).

Then apply the substitution , and as , so .

Drsoccerball

HSC

I wasn't familiar with a formal proof of this until a few minutes ago when I looked it up - it can apparently be proven using L'Hopital's rule. However, when I first encountered the original question (lim x -> 0 of xlnx) a while ago, I was happy to accept that it was 1, because I had seen a graph of the function before.
Well i guess we don't need to prove the limit since ive seen this graph before :p

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

(edit: this inequality only works for x > - n if n is even)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)