HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

umm... where does this formula come in
That formula is irrelevant for this one. That formula refers to the period T of particle's circular motion (time to complete one revolution) if its angular velocity is w, but we don't need that now.

For this one, we just need the following equations:

(i.e. horizontal component of tension (LHS) provides centripetal force (RHS))

(weight force (RHS) equal in magnitude to vertical component of tension force (LHS) due to no acceleration in vertical direction).

where is the magnitude of the maximal tension force and m and ω are as given in my previous post. The only unknowns in these simultaneous equations are T and θ, and we just need to solve for T to get the answer.

Edit: and as we can see, only the first equation is needed to find T. Just cancel cos(θ)'s. This is the derivation of the formula (which I never memorised but which I think is in textbooks).

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

what i did was T=Mw^2r
and w= (45x 2pi)/60
and the rest is ezpz
By 'r', you mean the string length (3 m), not the radius, right? Probably better to write , since 'r' normally refers to the radius.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

Finally a question from Paradoxica which I could actually do :p

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Finally a question from Paradoxica which I could actually do :p
that's correct, but not as quick. try thinking in the complex plane. also, in the question, I would not have stated the hypotenuse lengths were it not for the confusion.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

that's correct, but not as quick. try thinking in the complex plane. also, in the question, I would not have stated the hypotenuse lengths were it not for the confusion.
Ah yes I see it now. Both methods are quite efficient, in my opinion

HSC

A 3 metre string AB has a mass of 5kg attached at point B. The string is rotated in a horizontal circle about A and breaks as soon as it exceeds a speed of rotation of 45 revolutions per minute.
i.Find the maximum possible tension in the string.
ii. the mass at B is replaced by a 3kg mass and an additional 1kg mass is attached to the string at C, 2 metres from A (as shown below). Find the new maximum number of revolutions per minute that the string can be rotated.

i need help with part ii now :(( thanks
ans: 52.5revs/minute

Drsoccerball

HSC

A 3 metre string AB has a mass of 5kg attached at point B. The string is rotated in a horizontal circle about A and breaks as soon as it exceeds a speed of rotation of 45 revolutions per minute.
i.Find the maximum possible tension in the string.
ii. the mass at B is replaced by a 3kg mass and an additional 1kg mass is attached to the string at C, 2 metres from A (as shown below). Find the new maximum number of revolutions per minute that the string can be rotated.

i need help with part ii now :(( thanks
ans: 52.5revs/minute
Is i's answer 37 Newtons?

HSC

part i was what i just posted before. the answer for it is (135pi^2)/4=333.1 N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)