HSC 2016 Maths Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Re: HSC 2016 2U Marathon

This problem may have incorrect borders for the integrals, if that happens to be the case, let me know and I will fix it, as I have only checked the values three times so far.

Last edited:

loje

HSC

This should be an easy one but for some reason it's messing my head really badly lol.

A coin is tossed three times. A is the event "at least two tails"; B is the event "three heads or three tails"; C is the event "at least one tail". Which of the following are independent?

a) A and B (ans: indepedent)
b) A and C (ans: dependent)
c) B and C (ans: dependent)

Why aren't they all independent?

Cheers :)

leehuan

HSC

Getting at least 2 tails is dependent on getting at least 1 tail first

loje

HSC

Getting at least 2 tails is dependent on getting at least 1 tail first
Ok. But whats the difference between part a and part b that makes it indepdent and depedent, respectively? Thanks:)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Intuitively if two events A and B are independent, it means that knowledge about whether A happened doesn't affect the probability of B happening.

For example, say someone tosses a coin and rolls a die. Let A be the even the coin landed Heads and B be the event that the die landed 6.

If A and B are independent events, it means that if we know A happened (coin landed Heads), this gives us no further or less confidence in B having happened given A happened (6 being rolled too given a Heads). So if someone tossed the coin and rolled the die (without you observing them), and they told you that A occurred (Heads), it doesn't make it any more or less likely that B happened (that the die landed 6).

If A and B are dependent events though, intuitively it means that knowledge about whether A occurred alters the probability that B occurred given this knowledge.

For example, say two players Alice and Bob are playing a game of tennis. Say A is the event that Alice was sick on the day and B is the event that Alice wins.

Intuitively speaking, if we know A occurred (Alice was sick on the day), it affects the chance that B occurred given A (that Alice won the game given we know she was sick).

leehuan

HSC

Instructive question:

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

I fail to see how 2U methods by themselves are sufficient to deduce that

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

OK I got this question from a Cambridge University Maths SL book (which I consider to be on par with ) Maths 2U. I think I might have to create an own thread for IB Maths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)