HSC 2016 MX2 Marathon (archive) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
Re: HSC 2016 4U Marathon

When I did mechanics, and I had to resolve forces in upwards motion, I used -g.

When I had downwards motion, I took +g.

That is all I will say

leehuan

HSC

I'm 90% sure this is wrong. If you could tell me what's wrong about it, that would be great. I can't even picture this locus in my head. It's a weird one.

Line 3: You didn't use compound angles.

But wait for some experienced person to explain to you THAT locus

kawaiipotato

HSC

I'm 90% sure this is wrong. If you could tell me what's wrong about it, that would be great. I can't even picture this locus in my head. It's a weird one.

The locus for the original question would be the major arc of a circle with centre to the left of the y axis with the angle between vectors z+i and z being 5pi/4

Last edited:

appleibeats

HSC

determine the arcs specified by the following eqn. Sketch each one, showing the centre and radius of the associated circle.

arg ( z - 1 + i) / (z - 1 - i ) = pi/2

So i know it a circle. there are endpoints at (1, -1 ) and ( 1, 1) and that there are not included , hollow dot.

The angle between these two vectors when they meet is pi /2 .

The answers say it is a right hand side semicircle. Why is it a semicircle and not a full circle??

kawaiipotato

HSC

determine the arcs specified by the following eqn. Sketch each one, showing the centre and radius of the associated circle.

So i know it a circle. there are endpoints at (1, -1 ) and ( 1, 1) and that there are not included , hollow dot.

The answers say it is a right hand side semicircle. Why is it a semicircle and not a full circle??
Draw up the vectors. Remember that anti-clockwise angles are positive. Drawing the left hand side semicircle and the vectors, the angle between them will be -pi/2 not pi/2 so you can only accept the right and side.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Ambility

HSC

arg(z) refers to the angle created by the line from the origin to the complex number z and the positive real axis on the Argand diagram. as adding to one side fundamentally changes the value. Take for example

Adding to the argument of a complex number will rotate the complex number a full revolution around the origin and will result in the same number. Finding the argument of a complex number and then adding to that is not the same as the argument of the original complex number.

NEXT QUESTION: Using De Moivre's theorem, prove that

leehuan

HSC

Correcting your question. If my mental arithmetic is correct, the answer is actually 2 * cos(ntheta)

Also, something tells me you made an assumption that |z|=1

leehuan

HSC

why is arg( (z)^1/2) = 1/2 arg z
De Moivre's theorem states
When z=cos(x)+isin(x)
z^n = (cos(x)+isin(x))^n = cos(nx)+isin(nx)

arg(LHS) = arg(z^n)
Take note arg(z)=x
arg(RHS)=nx
So arg(z^n)=nx
arg(z^n)=n*arg(z)

That's just the case when n=1/2 (NOTE: N ACTUALLY DOES NOT HAVE TO BE AN INTEGER. It's only called De Moivre's theorem when we deal with positive integers that's all. the statement is actually true for all real n)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)