HSC 2017 MX1 Marathon (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackPatel

HSC
- a quick inverse trig question
Q. let f(x) = sin^(-1) (x)
a) for what values of m does the line y = mx cut y = f(x) at three points
b) Investigate the concavity of the curve and find the coordinates of the point of intersection

Mahan1

HSC
- a quick inverse trig question
Q. let f(x) = sin^(-1) (x)
a) for what values of m does the line y = mx cut y = f(x) at three points
b) Investigate the concavity of the curve and find the coordinates of the point of intersection
a)
because is an odd function. So to find all possible lines we have to make sure that it passes through the origin, which it always does, and one point on the first quadrant (x,y). and by oddness of , the line also passes through (-x,-y) as well. therefore

But at x=0 the tangent has a slope of 1 therefore
m > 1

b) Well, just take the second derivative and the intersection points are :

Mahan1

HSC

This was the solution:

I had my own solution. With geometry proofs Im aware that there are multiple ways you can go about explaining step by step.

Just want to check if my working out is right.
The solution is correct. But your solution is exactly the same as the other one:
In the textbook's solution, they subtracted two angles one at a time, meaning:

But you subtracted the sum in one go, meaning:

Reactions: D94

si2136

HSC
N/A
If you have trouble with Mathematical Induction, can you always expand the equation? It works, but it's just really slow.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Expand what equation? Do you have an example?
Well just say you're solving an equation and you're at the RTP step.

You have to prove LHS = RHS, which is

k/6 (k+1)(2k+1) + (k+1)^2 = (k+1)/6 (k+2)(2k+3)

Can you simplify and expand left hand side, then simplify and expand the right hand side, so they're equal?

I'm not moving the equation to the other side, but just simplifying it. It works if you can't figure out how to manipulate the factors. Is it possible to do that though?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Well just say you're solving an equation and you're at the RTP step.

You have to prove LHS = RHS, which is

k/6 (k+1)(2k+1) + (k+1)^2 = (k+1)/6 (k+2)(2k+3)

Can you simplify and expand left hand side, then simplify and expand the right hand side, so they're equal?

I'm not moving the equation to the other side, but just simplifying it. It works if you can't figure out how to manipulate the factors. Is it possible to do that though?
Yeah, you can. But better to just factor k+1 from the LHS and go from there (saves you from having to expand so much).

wu345

HSC
Prove the following statement using mathematical induction

The last term on the L.H.S has n-digits

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Just need a quick 'yes' or 'no. Would it be correct to say

?

?

I want to get perfect with my reasoning in congruency of triangles.
Yep it's perfect and it's also nice that you took into account the order in which you named the angles, as you named them correspondingly for each triangle while the book just did any order.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Yep it's perfect and it's also nice that you took into account the order in which you named the angles, as you named them correspondingly for each triangle while the book just did any order.
Different books do it slightly differently for some reason. I did all of the Year 10 5.3 Questions (Congruency triangles & Circle Geometry) from Cambridge text book and they did it in the a chronological order.

I also had a look at the Oxford textbook and their method of reasoning and the way they write it , I noticed it is slightly different to the Cambridge text.I have a personal preference towards the way they write in Cambridge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)