• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (2 Viewers)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

callol

Banned
HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

lyounamu said:
I would like to be a teacher or counsellor who can help either disadvantaged (financiallly or socially) kids or students who cannot speak English properly/students who don't reach their potential due to their poor environments.

My parents (especially mom) wants to me to get a high-status job such as doctor, dentist, actuary, lawyer or professor. I believe that I am fully capable of becoming what she wants me to become but I do not have passion for those jobs (except actuary, professor).

All typical Asian parents would definitely want high-paying jobs and unfortunately my mom is one of them. If I don't become teacher, I would like to become a Mathematician. But my mom is not happy with that job, either.

I will probably end up having to do two degrees at the same time but in the end, I will get a job where my true passion lies (either teaching or Mathematics).
just a little fyi, this is australia where it's mum, not mom.

conics2008

HSC

hmm i think im pretty happy, my parents dont care what I get in my exams or whatever, so I dont feel any pressure from them. They hardly see my reports or exam marks.. I think of it like this, I'm doing all this for my self not for them.

At the end of the day, they wont be there for me, only I would.. so look at it from this point of view, Imagine you have no parents and do everything for you're self... =

GOOD LUCK Class of 2008

Cerry

HSC

My brother did his HSC 4 years ago, did virtually no work, and got a pretty mediocore UAI to prove it, so I've got nothing to live up to. My parents know that pressuring me will just stress me out, leading to no work getting done, so they pretty much keep their mouths shut (although, when I've been watching DVDs for the last 4 hours, they usually suggest I should probably be studying).
The only problem I really have is that Dad hasn't quite got his head around the fact that when I announce that I got 70% in the assessment I thought I'd failed, he's not supposed to comment on the fact that 70 is an average mark.

bored of sc

HSC

Cerry said:
My brother did his HSC 4 years ago, did virtually no work, and got a pretty mediocore UAI to prove it, so I've got nothing to live up to. My parents know that pressuring me will just stress me out, leading to no work getting done, so they pretty much keep their mouths shut (although, when I've been watching DVDs for the last 4 hours, they usually suggest I should probably be studying).
The only problem I really have is that Dad hasn't quite got his head around the fact that when I announce that I got 70% in the assessment I thought I'd failed, he's not supposed to comment on the fact that 70 is an average mark.
yer - 70 is fine - especially in the sense you thought you failed the exam

by the by - what instrument do you play in music? singer? just curious

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad

hahahaha

hahahahaha

this thread is funny

hahahahaha
hahahahaha

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
I will probably end up having to do two degrees at the same time but in the end, I will get a job where my true passion lies (either teaching or Mathematics).
I've got an idea, be a professor of Mathematics!!! It should satisfy you mom as your a professor (which pays good), you can teach mathematics and also, as you are a professor, half the time you spend doing research where you could make benifitial discoveries to the mathematical community and maybe win the fields medal ;) Everyone is happy

Have you seriously considered that?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

kurt.physics said:
I've got an idea, be a professor of Mathematics!!! It should satisfy you mom as your a professor (which pays good), you can teach mathematics and also, as you are a professor, half the time you spend doing research where you could make benifitial discoveries to the mathematical community and maybe win the fields medal ;) Everyone is happy

I already did. :)

But thanks for reminding me of that. But it is quite difficult to become a professor as you guys are already aware and even though my passion lies in teaching, I would like to target specific groups of people (i.e. disadvantaged ones). I want to make changes to how they get on with their lives and hopefully lead them to right direction. I wouldn't feel sense of achievement from teaching groups of intelligent kids performing at their potential. I would truly feel sense of achievement when those disadvantaged kids overcome whatever the barriers and go beyond their potential.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

kurt.physics said:

He said his mum isn't happy with being a mathematician.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Aplus said:
He said his mum isn't happy with being a mathematician.
Hahaha...

That's right. But my mum wouldn't mind being a Mathematics professor.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

foram said:
My mums happy as long as I get paid well.
Unfortunately, I will concur on that. Many Asian mums are similar on that regards.

Santy

HSC

hmmm i see we are discussing parental pressure... yes i can assure you my parents are probably more stressed than i am whilst i currently do my hsc.

but i am a good student so i dont see why they should be

but lets face it.. as annoying as it does get.. they just want us to achieve our best

x0x0 .. .. .. .. :read:

Aplus

HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
Unfortunately, I will concur on that. Many Asian mums are similar on that regards.
I guess pride is a major factor of Asian parents wanting their children to hold high status jobs. They just love comparing their children and they love having bragging rights. Well, that's my own experience and opinion.

Harley30

HSC

Parental pressure isn't cool. The only time I really get it is if I procrastinate and leave assignments to the last minute and such. I don't get pressured to study because I don't tell them the dates of my assessment tasks and such. I only tell them if the outcome is good.

Muz4PM

HSC

Harley30 said:
Parental pressure isn't cool. The only time I really get it is if I procrastinate and leave assignments to the last minute and such. I don't get pressured to study because I don't tell them the dates of my assessment tasks and such. I only tell them if the outcome is good.
Lol, don't they get curious about the subjects you don't do so well in and ask about them?

Harley30

HSC

Muz4PM said:
Lol, don't they get curious about the subjects you don't do so well in and ask about them?
Not really, they ask how school is going in general, but not about specific classes. If reports are good, all is well.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

Harley30 said:
Not really, they ask how school is going in general, but not about specific classes. If reports are good, all is well.
pretty much the same.

leoyh

mic`
HSC

my parents ask here and there how im going and if i can handle it, but no real pressure. they don't want to add any unncessary pressure so they're just like do the best you can. pretty cool if u ask me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)