HSC Art, enjoying it or regretting it??? (1 Viewer)

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
cate_7x said:
I am regretting it. We have gone through three teachers and the one we have now is a biased marker.
How did you guys go through 3 teachers?

HSC
N/A
(^o^) said:
Say, you like abstruct stuff and you get a okay mark (make it..82?) then you submit your artwork and unluckily the markers that are gonna mark your pure abstruct art like realistic art more.
I don't really think that'd be an issue.... I like to think that they're professional down there and if a teacher feels they can't properly assess something because of their own tastes/background whatever, that they'd get another teacher to mark that particular artwork.
Even if you don't like a style, you can still acknowledge the technical skill involved.... the work put in, the concept, layers of meaning etc etc etc. If they're not doing that - then God save us all!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i had a good teacher (diamond in the rough, it seems!) but still couldn't stomach art theory... it just bored me.

art gets better at tertiary level - NO SYLLABUS! I found HSC art painfully unmotivating - the essay topics would frustrate me 'coz they were all so pointless (to me) and full of airy-fairy BS. It took me up until the HSC trials to actually understand stuff like the Frames (subjective, structural, cultural, postmodern) and the Conceptual Framework (artist, artwork, audience, world).

My lecturers, while they do mention the structural/subjective etc on the odd occastion, roll their eyes at this terminology because so few use it in the real world.

I completely failed my first art exam in yr11 (37%) and was devastated, and only got 80 (band 5) for my overall HSC mark. Theory was the downfall, of course.

Now at college, there is hardly any emphasis on theory. All essays and presentations amount to 30% of total grade for a subject, the other 70% is practical-based. i get high distinctions frequently and have maintained a distinction average thus far - suck that HSC! It just goes to show that the HSC is no measure of your true ability. If your teacher is annoying, don't listen to them. If they're really pathetic, report them.

craz

HSC
I couldn't stand Art. I had a great Art teacher for Year 11/12 we actually later came on to become good mates. She was dedicated and always had faith in me! Nobody ever did before. I hated theory. Then we switched for the last 3 months cos she was pregnant - i hated that teacher she had no faith in me....she just didn't know me long enough it pissed me off!

winicat

HSC
art was one of my two fave classes at school, and now i get to do it for 3 years straight and no one can tell me to go and do my maths cause i don't flipping have to! :D

our teacher was great. the whole art staff was great lol we always got input from the different teachers and that really helped -- you weren't just relying on one opinion and you got a lot more feed back (and different ideas within it)

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
I had a great art teacher that loved my prac idea and encouraged me to go along with my idea but my theory teacher always use to mark me down and hated my guts, but i was happy with my end result with a HSC mark of 83! :uhhuh:

Last edited:

piratedebbie

HSC
yeh i enjoyed art some days and hated it other days..... my teacher was never in class so we basically had to cope on our own, in the end it was better for me coz i have a bit of an independant streak and worked in a separate room to everyone else.... except for wen ppl who actually wanted to do art came and joined me. i spent alot of time on art in the end despite the teachers and the teachings and my art work was preselected for artexpress, altho it didnt get thru to the final selections... i was happy with how it went :)

need2study_girl

HSC
Pierotte said:
Just a word of warning, never EVER EEEVVVEEERRR listen solely to your teahcer unless they have accually been a HSC marker for art. All this talk about if ur good at english you will be good at art theory is bullshit!! I am currently topping my grade in english but i failed my last art assignment, why you may ask? Because they are two COMPLETELY different styles of essay writing. In art you will have a better chance of getting a band 6 if you do an essay solely in dot points that constantly refers to the syllabus rather than doing a brilliant highly stylised essay that doesnt directly keep adressing the question word for word. It may be an excellent essay in english as it is creative and antyhnig but blunt, but in art you must be blunt so that they (the markers) know that you know that you know what you are talking about. All that links everyone in the state is the syllabus, so that has to be the core of your essay and you have to keep refering to it directly, word for word, no synnonyms or fancy language, consider the markers as dumb morons that need to be spoken to like they are a 10 year olds. Im not sure if this makes sence but i would just like to warn people as sadly i had to find out the hard way by failing then having to argue my marks.... all this info comes from two teachers who have marked the HSC numerous times, any questions? just ask.
Ciao

Would it seriously be better to do dot points then an actual essay??? i'm kinda releying on the theory componet in art to boost my grade so i wanna get as high as possible.

And what is it with art teachers??? are they all absolute idiots?? my art teacher is in a totally different world and has absolulty NO IDEA what is going on. No one in my class really knows what they are doing for thier Body of work and a few haven't started. I 'm just kinda going with the flow at the moment hoping i'll get a really good idea soon :rolleyes: . And another thing (sorry i but i have to vent) i am the only person in my class who knows how to write a proper essay. Some people don't even metion artworks in their essays!!! HELLO YOU ARE IN YR 12 ART!!! and the teacher doesn't know what she's doing so she can't help them!!

I think i may just go and have a nervous breakdown now....

Pierotte

HSC
no, but being blunt is best.
You had better get an idea soon, about 2 people in my class have one, then the head of the deartment walks in ther other day exclaiming that she had never seen a more unorganised art class and that we are not allowed to use the shit paints we have.... we have to buy our own!! wtf!
does anyone esle have issues with extreemly shit art supplies????

soso

HSC
N/A
Students in most tafes except Bradfield have to supply all there own materials. So shit paints are better than no paints.

However if you have paid art fees the art department is obligated to return those fees in art materials. You may be able to make a case at deputy or principle level that you are not getting value for your fee money. You can risk excommunication with this complaint and write to the minister for education and he will write to the school . The school will then have to answer the letter that will come saying please explain. It is called a ministerial.

THe dept will take a dim view of students not getting value for their fees and may ask to see the cash in and cash out book for the art department and will analyze the figures to see if the junior school is propping up the senior school. This often happens or vice versa. THe school will not like the scrutiny

So good luck

coldgoldie

i used to love art..bt now its so stressful...dunno if i can finish mai bow on time..mai teacher just 4gets what she says..sigh!!

putri tini

HSC
Guys i think regardless of having a good or not so great teacher you should just check out the BoardOS website to knwo the art curriculum and criterias. Trust me I've had now 3 art teachers thorughout year 12 and its been pretty hard adapting to their teaching methods etc, its so much easier to read about it, do the work and get into body of works (not waiting to be motivated by teachers). For me my art teachers provide opinions on the ideas I come up with. :)

HSC
Ok, first of all I don't do hsc art. I was going to but when the final subject choices came around i had to choose between it and physics, and my art teacher was sending me insane (and that was only in year 10) so i decided against it. On some level I regret it, because I've always loved art and would love the opportunity to do a major, but on the other hand i know how stressed she would make me. I remember even in year 10 i got totally into a concept that had taken me ages to formulate, and then someone copied my idea entirely and i got mad and my teacher stood there and laughed at me. She was and is always so sarcastic, so stupid and so stubborn. Her inability to teach and to be constructive would send me home in tears. She always favoured painters and paint is just not my media. I have a couple of friends who are in the class now and it seems like she gotten worse, their last assessment (weighting 30%) there were only 2 people in a class of about 16 that passed, everyone else got around 6-10%. One person even got zero, they handed their stuff in on time, they did the work and got zero cos the teacher didnt like it. It's ridiculous. If I was the kind of person who could do art as a bludge subject i reckon it would be ok, because looking back it's pretty funny how stupid she is, the things she would say and do (oh i have stories), but i didn't find them that funny then- just frustrating.

But what I'm trying to say is that I understand how frustrating art as a subject can be. I've always had a problem with putting a mark on an artwork, it doesnt make sense to me. People tell you that teachers don't matter, and I can see what they're trying to say, but the nature of art and its subjectivity means that the subject is so incredibly personal, and if you don't get along with the teacher or if they're just idiots or control freaks or stubborn and set in their ideas or whatever, it can be incredibly hard not to be pulled down by it.

I don't really have any suggestions on how to make it easier, like i said i didnt even do it because i knew i was too impatient and it had such a potential to break me. But I want to encourage you all however to use your frustrations artistically and to persevere and not give up. Some of the best art that has ever been made has been made in times of intense emotions and as a vent of such things. Don't give up caring about it, that's the worst thing you could do. I hope you all have a not too stressful year, one day I'll force myself to get back into art, hopefully I haven't lost it entirely.

roxie_b

HSC
I must admit that I am totally loving HSC Art (and yes, that includes theory). I find it is really interesting the way people interpret themselves and their surroundings and use it to create an artwork ... theory has been great, we're doing kool movements like dada and abstract expressionism ... my art class ROCKS cos we're only about 7 people, my teacher is hilarious because she gets so excited in the class conversations and you can see she is just bursting to spread her enthusiasm :) Despite the stress of Yr12 Art, I love it.

Mishelli

HSC
[... my art class ROCKS cos we're only about 7 people, my teacher is hilarious because she gets so excited in the class conversations and you can see she is just bursting to spread her enthusiasm :) Despite the stress of Yr12 Art, I love it.[/QUOTE]

Do you now Roxe B? I know our art class rocks (maybe because of a special some1?? jk) Teacher cracks me up! No, but my opinion? I'm kind of regretting it; I wasn’t prepared for the theory part, and how intense (and difficult) it can be!

But then again I regret most of my subjects, But then again again, I probably would have regretted others..... ahh the joys of the HSC!

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
hey i liked it until today when my teacher tild me she didn't like it and i had no say in how it is displayed oh yes and i have to work on it 24/7 because art should be my priority......... I HATE ART TODAY

intrik8

Rickman's Cod Piece
HSC
The art faculty cannot get any worse at my school. They are unrelyable, choose favourites (although I'm a tad bit fine with it since I do get a lot of attention), they bullshit too much, and well, they make themselves better than what they are. However, it hasn't detered me in doing my own independant research and study on the case studies that my teacher notifies us on.

Now, its halfway through the HSC year, and I'm quite enjoying visual arts on my own. I guess its because I'm pretty much dead set on what conceptual framework I'm working in, and well, my practice is one that I've been using since I was in year 7, so I'm pretty cool with how things are like.

Theory is pretty easy once you get to understand what frame they are in.

Besides that, I adore V.A

namelesslady

HSC
Although I'm only in year 11, I'm quite enjoying art. HEAPS of people do art at my school, so you have to work to get noticed. So far the course has been quite easy- as long as you keep up with your work, and keep your VAPD up to date you'll be fine. As far as theory is concerned, it seems to be quite fine. Maybe it gets harder in year 12, but so far I've gotten full marks for everything I've done this year. We'll see how I go in my half yearly (On Thursday) .. Which I'd better go and study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)