HSC Assessments- Thoughts/Results (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
When people like you, Riviet, say these things - It really motivates me, so right now, I've calmed down... Either because of this or because I'm tired... :rolleyes:
That's good to hear then, now you should get some study done! :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Grrrrr.....*clenches fist* I really hate the English staff! You work your butt off, only to be demoralised by the ridiculously tough marking criteria set by the english teachers. I spent a lot of time, working on my essay (I do not memorise whole essays, I actually write them from the top of my head after memorising techniques/quotes with a lot of practice exercises) and I just barely passed!!! I don't know my mark/rank yet, but a source tells me that I barely passed! Yes, I know my rank ain't too bad since I heard like 90% of the grade FAILED (i.e. below 50%), but the extremely pedantic english teachers are always reluctant to give away marks. Instead of giving marks, like HSC markers, they look for any excuse to deduct marks.
They deduct marks for illigibility even though it's not in the marking criteria, they deduct marks for not rewording the thesis each paragraph even though I have seen the top mark responses in the HSC literally repeat the thesis and question without rewording it, they deduct marks if we didn't write like 8 pages (that is 8mm lined A4 pages - much more compressed than BOS booklets) worth of detail, despite it being almost impossible to do in 40 minutes unless you're writing gibberish, they deduct marks for not puttting at least something like 5-6 techniques even though we were told to do at least 3........plus many more......

Everyone is pissed at the people who marked their essays. The teachers defend it by saying it would help us aim high, separate the best from the rest and the marks would be scaled up anyway. Who the hell can aim high when all these hardworking students have put a lot of effort into this assessment task (that means practically half the grade) only to get trampled on and fully criticised by the marker for every exaggerated tiny mistake, thus destroying their confidence and morale in English? I doubt even the people who top the state in English can get anywhere near full marks. Marking harder than the HSC is good, I admit that, but marking this tough is going too far. Parents are going to start chucking psychos seeing their children fail English no matter how hard they try even though they are often like band 5/6 students. No wonder our school is so shit at English, the students are all demoralised and their confidence in English drops when the marking criteria gets ridiculous internally, so they lose complete confidence in doing well.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Riviet said:
It sucks having assessments on the last week or two of term because it means you gotta wait till next term, or next year in this case... :(

It's been so long that i've forgotten what the essay question in my english assessment was lol.
Thats a long wait for results. Almost as long as the wait for hsc results.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Grrrrr.....*clenches fist* I really hate the English staff! You work your butt off, only to be demoralised by the ridiculously tough marking criteria set by the english teachers. I spent a lot of time, working on my essay (I do not memorise whole essays, I actually write them from the top of my head after memorising techniques/quotes with a lot of practice exercises) and I just barely passed!!! I don't know my mark/rank yet, but a source tells me that I barely passed! Yes, I know my rank ain't too bad since I heard like 90% of the grade FAILED (i.e. below 50%), but the extremely pedantic english teachers are always reluctant to give away marks. Instead of giving marks, like HSC markers, they look for any excuse to deduct marks.
They deduct marks for illigibility even though it's not in the marking criteria, they deduct marks for not rewording the thesis each paragraph even though I have seen the top mark responses in the HSC literally repeat the thesis and question without rewording it, they deduct marks if we didn't write like 8 pages (that is 8mm lined A4 pages - much more compressed than BOS booklets) worth of detail, despite it being almost impossible to do in 40 minutes unless you're writing gibberish, they deduct marks for not puttting at least something like 5-6 techniques even though we were told to do at least 3........plus many more......

Everyone is pissed at the people who marked their essays. The teachers defend it by saying it would help us aim high, separate the best from the rest and the marks would be scaled up anyway. Who the hell can aim high when all these hardworking students have put a lot of effort into this assessment task (that means practically half the grade) only to get trampled on and fully criticised by the marker for every exaggerated tiny mistake, thus destroying their confidence and morale in English? I doubt even the people who top the state in English can get anywhere near full marks. Marking harder than the HSC is good, I admit that, but marking this tough is going too far. Parents are going to start chucking psychos seeing their children fail English no matter how hard they try even though they are often like band 5/6 students. No wonder our school is so shit at English, the students are all demoralised and their confidence in English drops when the marking criteria gets ridiculous internally, so they lose complete confidence in doing well.

Hmmm well, i read most of that, sorry, i'm tired, but yes I'll agree with you that the English staff are the gestapo when it comes to marking - we had a speech to do instead of an essay...most of Advanced English got under 15/20...ugh...so yeah i'll rant here too when essay writing time comes...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:

Ouch, sounds really bad at your school. The first thing i think in your first paragraph are the words "subjective" and "bias", although i'm aware that most of the year did bad.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I only got one assessment mark out of 5 back this term. Ohwel. I think I posted it before...economics exam.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Trebla, do you know Paul? The quiet one.

Yeah I know him from tutoring. ;D

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Richie Rich said:
Hey,

You guys think that is bad. At my school for advanced maths, the average was in the 20-30% range, and our school is supposedly extremely good in terms of rankings against other schools.
what school do you go to?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Trebla said:

that's horrible :( never mind, you can rub it in their faces when you blitz the hsc after they've basically told you you dont stand a chance. good luck

vg_woz_here

HSC

most of my assessments are probably in term 1...but i got 15/15 for my food tech assess and 17/20 for my legal assess

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
vg_woz_here said:
most of my assessments are probably in term 1...but i got 15/15 for my food tech assess and 17/20 for my legal assess
ain't you meant to have at least one assesment for every subject you do? by the way great start ..

karoooh

HSC
That's what I thought...

vg_woz_here said:
What subjects do you do? Well done for your recent marks! :p

Trinket

HSC
So far, I'm not going too badly. :D Topping Legal Studies, History Extension and Modern History with 100%. Coming first in Ancient History with 90% and second in English Advanced with 80%. English Extension II proposal due in February... *fingers crossed*

Speaking of English, I agree with Trebla on the way the teachers mark essays for English... I thought it was just my cohort of evil English teachers taking four marks off my essay and putting inane reasoning: "Your handwriting is too small."

Grr. :p

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Trinket said:
So far, I'm not going too badly. :D Topping Legal Studies, History Extension and Modern History with 100%. Coming first in Ancient History with 90% and second in English Advanced with 80%. English Extension II proposal due in February... *fingers crossed*
i don't like you haha but anyhoo great marks =P

Bookie

Banned
HSC
trinket said:
Speaking of English, I agree with Trebla on the way the teachers mark essays for English... I thought it was just my cohort of evil English teachers taking four marks off my essay and putting inane reasoning: "Your handwriting is too small."
if youre good enough, then come HSC, youll be sweet

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
no idea of my eng assessment mark (our skool has a reputation for SLOW markin in eng. -.-)
for others (since every1 posted)

chemistry prac - 21/24 (2 marks for not drawing a table. highest mark 23)
phy prac - 53/55 (2 marks for overlook a questions.. -.-)
maths ext1 - 32/37 (copied question from sheet to my answer booklet wrong)
maths2u - 36/39 (i did one times one equals two)
maths ext2 - 35/38 (spent half of the time trying to kill a spider. not bad mark. ;D)

ok my *whinge* is ova. ywea. awaits term1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)