Hsc At Tafe? (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
soso said:
Kami you are too hard on OTEN. Students there get in to the state merit lists, art students regularly get into artexpress, lots of band 6 in all subjects. The teachers are only a phone call away.

Why don't you like OTEN?

Hornsby is another good college. Lots of choice and classes are never shut down or have their hours reduced if numbers fall. Where did you go Kami? You have a teacher like knowledge of enrolment issues.
Its not that I think that there's anything that will prevent you from marks perse but the majority of students will be at a disadvantage as I know several Oten teachers and student and it is true for all of those I have met especially in a one year intensive course. And this is especially true for the MW and practical subjects.
I go to Gymea, Bankstown and Wolllongong TAFES which is part ofwhy my knowledge is so extensive as I've gone through each procedure several times, the other reason is that I've been in the TAFE system since year 10(cgve) so I know enough about this part of TAFE to choke a Blue Whale.

soso

HSC
N/A
Kami your answer doesn't make sense. You know OTEN teachers. Does this mean these ones you know are bad? Does this mean that all OTEN teachers are all bad? OTEN was written up in the paper for its excellent results and the opportunity it provides for those who cannot attend college. How could this be if all the teachers were bad.

I know lots of OTEN students and lots of OTEN teachers and I think the teachers mostly try hard to help. The students like their courses and do well. I know for a fact that some courses consistently perform better than state average. I know of one course that had 80% of the students results in the top 20% of the state.

OTEN permits one year intensive study in some individual subjects but would prefer students do HSC at normal time frame because of the added burden of the time it takes to post assignments back and forth. You would agree this is a fair thing?

How come you know so much about TAFE? Are you a teacher?

Home schooling. It works but remember some courses with a strong practical element cannot be done by home schooling. Subjects such as textiles and design, art etc. These subjects have to be done under a teachers supervision. OTEN offers Homeschoolers a way of studying these subjects.

OTEN isn't perfect,it is not for everyone but it can be the answer to a prayer for students who can't attend a college. It offers students a way of studying subjects not available at their home college. If it doesn't meet your needs don't bag it out. Its a great option if you have special needs.

Have you attended OTEN at all?

soso

HSC
N/A
Home schooling. It works but remember some courses with a strong practical element cannot be done by home schooling. Subjects such as textiles and design, art etc. These subjects have to be done under a teachers supervision. OTEN offers Homeschoolers a way of studying these subjects.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
soso said:
some courses with a strong practical element cannot be done by home schooling. Subjects such as textiles and design, art etc. These subjects have to be done under a teachers supervision. OTEN offers Homeschoolers a way of studying these subjects.
Alot of this is not done under supervision at OTEN either and what I am saying is it is that OTEN should be only looked into, if you have looked through all the other options and most specifically I am referring to the one year intensive courses. What I am also saying is that I have spoken to a significant no. of teachers and students and I have found from what is said by both that most people who enrol jump into it with no idea of what is required and drop out.
And no, if you had read my post I am not a teacher, I have done my year 10, and am now completing my hsc there and I have gone to many different tafes and researched all of the options to find my subjects of choice at appropriate times.

And CrashOveride don't be a jackass, a tafe is just like any school or college it offers to teach a course and that is something you could not do on your own. Infact you would be quite a prodigy if without classes you could completely on your own and fresh from year 10 complete say chemistry

soso

HSC
N/A
I don't think you know enough about OTEN to offer the opinions you do. What is a significant number to base your opinions on?

OTEN does not permit students to do 6 subjects by the intensive method as a rule. You would have to convince the HSC co-ordinator you could do it.

Currently students are permitted to enrol in 3 subjects. When they have completed an assignment in each subject they are permitted to add more subjects. This gives students time to try it out before they make a big mistake. SOme students do finish prelim early in the year then they can enrol in HSC for the same year if there is time. Its a good system if you are short a subject for BOS purposes

If you know so much about it what sort of person teaches at OTEN, are they young or old are there men and women, do they have good qualifications, are they trained in distance ed? Its easy to trash what you don't know

soso

HSC
N/A
You say OTEN doesn't supervise. What makes you say this. You are trashing not only OTEN but all the students who have worked hard and got well deserved results in their practical subjects.

Who made you god this week?

CrashOveride

HSC
kami:
I completed Maths ext 2 by myself (teacher only knew basic stuff) and got b6 in it. You do not have to be a prodigy, anyone who is willing to read and learn can learn any HSC course themselves (ok, im talking about the real courses...forget arts or food tech etc..)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
69^boi said:
im thinking about to repeat HSC at tafe can you do this??
is the environment wots it like???
Yes u can do this, someone i know is actually doing this

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
soso said:
You say OTEN doesn't supervise. What makes you say this. You are trashing not only OTEN but all the students who have worked hard and got well deserved results in their practical subjects.

Who made you god this week?
Soso-maybe you should actually read what I posted, I said it should be a last resort as in if you have other options you should definitely use them, not jump into an intensive correspondence course just because you think it will fix your results from school or because you dont feel like doing any attendance at a local college or school as hundreds of kids state wide do. For instance did you know that OTEN has the highest enrollment rate of any HSC program Tafe but their drop out rate is larger than any of those. And also I never "trashed" OTEN, I said it was more difficult as you did not recieve regular lessons or supervision, which makes difficult courses worse, as if for instance you need to do say a course that requires equipment, or group work. So since you did not read it in the first place I will restate it: It makes it more difficult than if you went up the road to go to a night class, which is what the point was should you do OTEN just because of an awkward timetable at TAFE when in all likelihood that TAFE offers a night class for that subject. I have never stated anything whatsoever about students who live to far from TAFE to attend these classes

soso

HSC
N/A
Well in words you understand: YOU ARE WRONG.

You have no basis for what you are saying about OTEN and other TAFEs other than your personal opinion. You should not represent opinion as fact. That is what I am saying. I read what you wrote and it is too generalized to apply to a significant number of students.

Students should apply to the college that meets their needs. If they have concerns they should discuss their needs with the HSC co-ordinator at the college. Your advice is selfish. You pretend to know and you don't

You continue to trash OTEN with knowledge that seems to come from a teacher. How do you know it has the largest enrolment? How do you know that it has the largest drop out rate? How do you know the reasons for dropping out from OTEN? Who is feeding you this drivel? OTEN may service students who have more special needs than other colleges and this may be a reason they have a drop out rate different to other colleges. I don't see this thinking in your comments.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
soso said:
Well in words you understand: YOU ARE WRONG.

You have no basis for what you are saying about OTEN and other TAFEs other than your personal opinion. You should not represent opinion as fact. That is what I am saying. I read what you wrote and it is too generalized to apply to a significant number of students.

Students should apply to the college that meets their needs. If they have concerns they should discuss their needs with the HSC co-ordinator at the college. Your advice is selfish. You pretend to know and you don't

You continue to trash OTEN with knowledge that seems to come from a teacher. How do you know it has the largest enrolment? How do you know that it has the largest drop out rate? How do you know the reasons for dropping out from OTEN? Who is feeding you this drivel? OTEN may service students who have more special needs than other colleges and this may be a reason they have a drop out rate different to other colleges. I don't see this thinking in your comments.
If you continue to misunderstand my comments than fine, go ahead but I will say that I do have every right to speak about this as I am doing hsc at tafe and a subject by correspondence, and this is my third year with tafe as i have been with them since year 10. What right or experience do you have?

soso

HSC
N/A
I have done a number of courses at TAFE and a course through OTEN So you see a similar experience.

I don't misunderstand your comments at all. Your comments are wrong. You present your opinions as fact when they are not. You have appointed yourself adviser on TAFE when you do not have the openmindedness that is needed. You are spreading misinformation that could harm people by influencing their choices.

You talk about enrolment and retention rates at OTEN. Where do you get this info. Did you ring up OTEN and ask. I rang my teacher at OTEN and she didn't know what the figures were so how do you?

Get off your pedestal. It is looking extremely shaky.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
soso said:
Get off your pedestal. It is looking extremely shaky.
I never put myself on a pedestal, soso but perhaps we should simply agree to disagree as it seems you are going to continue to disagree with any word I say, and our "argument" devalues this forum more than what you percieve as my bias

soso

HSC
N/A
What you want me to do is to leave you in peace to spread malicious gossip about TAFEs you don't like influencing the decisions people make about their future.

Not going to happen

I see you have made over 900 messages. Its frightening the misinformation you might be spreading. You know you have never answered any of the hard questions I have asked you such as how do you know the enrolment/dropout rate at OTEN.

Its clear you talk teacher talk not student talk. You are in the wrong place.

Bugger off and leave this forum to students. Go and subvert somewhere else. I will be watching.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
soso said:
What you want me to do is to leave you in peace to spread malicious gossip about TAFEs you don't like influencing the decisions people make about their future.

Not going to happen

I see you have made over 900 messages. Its frightening the misinformation you might be spreading. You know you have never answered any of the hard questions I have asked you such as how do you know the enrolment/dropout rate at OTEN.

Its clear you talk teacher talk not student talk. You are in the wrong place.

Bugger off and leave this forum to students. Go and subvert somewhere else. I will be watching.
I would like to point out that what soso is doing can also be considered the spreading of misinformation. Claiming that Kami is "in the wrong place", and by suggesting that he is a teacher, is unfounded. Everyone on BoS is aware that the information posted in any thread is potentially opinionated. While I believe that everyone should be allowed to challenge opinions, personal attacks only build an environment of animosity.

soso

HSC
N/A
How do you know Kami is not a teacher? Misinformation is a dangerous thing. If some say this is an opinionated chat room then I am entitled to my opinion.

If you think I am flaming by presenting a disenting opinion you haven't seen real flaming at all.

You sound like chicken little. The sky is falling someone is dissenting.

Time to get a life

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
soso said:
How do you know Kami is not a teacher? Misinformation is a dangerous thing. If some say this is an opinionated chat room then I am entitled to my opinion.

If you think I am flaming by presenting a disenting opinion you haven't seen real flaming at all.

You sound like chicken little. The sky is falling someone is dissenting.

Time to get a life
What you are doing is bullding an environment of animosity, where this forum was made to HELP people. Your posts are destructive; and this is nowhere more apparent than when you make baseless statements about Kami. You posts are not critical in a useful way, they are critical in a purely egoic way. Abuse does not support open discussion. I am not suggesting that you tippy-toe around anyone. If you are having a problem with what someone is saying, then adress what is being said.

Last edited:

alita

HSC
kami, i was wondering what tafe's ranking is like? recently a lot of people have been telling me it's harder to do well at tafe because other people will drag me down? I got 73% in my last geo assessment, which was the highest mark...nearly everyone else failed. but how do I know if the test was really hard? or the class is just below average?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
alita said:
kami, i was wondering what tafe's ranking is like? recently a lot of people have been telling me it's harder to do well at tafe because other people will drag me down? I got 73% in my last geo assessment, which was the highest mark...nearly everyone else failed. but how do I know if the test was really hard? or the class is just below average?
There is no blanket statement saying that it's harder to do well at Tafe, for just like a school it is up to you to make the marks. There are also different variables than at school because so many people come from different educational backgrounds, so there is no fixed way of determining that - one year half the class maybe former selective students and another year it could be kids just out of year 10 who are only there because their parents made them, you never know.
About the hardness of assessments, this is up to your teacher as well, as I know my English Extension 2 teacher and my Chemistry teacher give out assignments that would horrify selective school students whereas my Mathematics Extension 1 teacher gives out fairly easy assessments compared to state standards, and the Biology assessments are of such simplistic level that they fall below Senior Science standards. If you want to know if this *individual* test is hard, I suggest you ask some Geography students from other schools what their tests were like in comparison in their term 2(our term 1). If you feel that you are not being challenged or prepared sufficiently, then I suggest you start studying independently to supplement your class work, regardless of how hard the test was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)