Hsc At Tafe? (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
prelim and HSC separate or combined have nothing to do with enrollment no. or type
plus if you are contemplating studying at TAFE unless you have serious difficulties with English or Science do them in the combined form i

69^boi

HSC
N/A
your rite kami looks like their site kinda stuff up their courses with the hsc
course 4142 6501 & 6500

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
this is a truth I excepted long ago the people who run the TAFE website are very, very dumb, ignore what ever it says and ask the campus of your choice or talk to current or former students otherwise you'll get a seriously fucked up view of the HSC, I mean according to them TVET doesn't exist so.....

leathaface

I just need confirmation...

if I am to do HSC again at TAFE and I already did it like.... 2 years ago... do I just do 1 year HSC since I already did prelim?

Sasky

HSC
I've got the interview with Bradfield tomorrow... F*** it.

Anybody gone to one before? What do they ask?

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
is gymea tafe alrite... i havnt heard anyone mention it... i wanna go to it cos im closest to it

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Sasky said:
I've got the interview with Bradfield tomorrow... F*** it.

Anybody gone to one before? What do they ask?

Most places will probably ask you why you want to do the course. That's all I can think of. I hate interviews!! Good luck. :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Sexscum - I go to Gymea,its pretty good but the 2/3 unit math teacher is like cuckoos. Which subs were u after

Leathaface - and u have a 5 year period before ur prelim expires so u can jump rite in, I'd reccomend doing combined prelim/hsc though cos its not really that much extra work and you'll need the revision

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
kami said:
Sexscum - I go to Gymea,its pretty good but the 2/3 unit math teacher is like cuckoos. Which subs were u after
i was gonna do bio, anc history, and business studies again...do they hav it?
i got 86 for 2unit maths and 84 for english adv...so are those subjects ok to leave as they are? or can i do all of them again and chose from the better marks? i dunno if thats how it works

Last edited:

phatic

HSC
~SeXcSuM~ said:
i was gonna do bio, anc history, and business studies again...do they hav it?
i got 86 for 2unit maths and 84 for english adv...so are those subjects ok to leave as they are? or can i do all of them again and chose from the better marks? i dunno if thats how it works
They just take your best 10 units from whatever subjects you choose. They'll pick your best marks, basically. But if you repeat a subject, they take the newest marks... So if you repeat a subject and get a lower mark than your original, only the new (lower) one counts.

So my advice would be not to repeat the subjects you did well in, and those two you mentioned sound like pretty good marks (depending on the UAI you're aiming for, of course).

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Gymea have all the subs you mentioned and all the teachers for those subs r pretty good esp. the 1 for anc. hist. she even marked essays and gave advice via the email when she was recovering from a stroke. I've done the bio class and you get two teachers for that class at the same time for the first semester and they're both pretty good.
And in case anyone's wondering here are the sub lists for a few of the TAFEs:
GYMEA - Eng Adv, Eng St, Eng Xt1, Anc Hist, Mod Hist, Bus Studies, Gen Math,
2U Math, 3U Math, Legal, Physics, IPT, Bio, Chem, Soc & Culture, Geo, Accounting,
VET Bus Services, VET Music Industry
LOFTUS - VET IT, VET Tourism
BANKSTOWN - Eng Fundamentals, ESL, Eng Adv, Eng St, IPT, VET IT, Geo,
Soc & Culture, Gen Math, 2U Math, 3U Math, 4U Math, Bio, Chem, Physics, Senior Sc,
Mod Hist, Anc Hist, Legal, Bus Studies
WOLLONGONG - Eng Fundamentals, Eng St, Eng Adv, Eng Xt1, Eng Xt2, Gen Math,
2U Math, Bio, Mod Hist, Eco, Legal, Chem, Physics, Geo, Anc Hist, Accounting

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
to apply u turn up for an info day where they lecture for a while about details and then assign you an interview time. Its diff for bradfield though. Most TAFEs will have their info days sometime in the nexy fortnight so you'd better ring up your nearest TAFE for details

69^boi

HSC
N/A
wot u mean by matric? hey o i rang tafe today at Granville and apparantly, the damm operator just told me to turn at Granville tafe on jan 25 for an ''information session''. Unfortunetly the HSC coordinator was on leave and i cannot get info about the variety of course they offer, wot time they run it ( i want to go in the day time not night!). Last thing - do i pay upfront on that day when i attend the ''info session'' and do i need my parents there to sign something? im 17

woah you go to 3 diff kami?, how does that fit in the timetable?

I got two options open up here, i could either:

1. Do the full prelim & then Full HSC for 2 yrs

2. Do 3 subject prelim+hsc this yr & again for next year

what did you do kami?

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I am currently undergoing the second option and I believe its better if you're serious about it however unlike with the separate prelim/hsc you cannot miss a lesson because there are no trivial lessons, it is also far better for 2u Eng and the sciences as your prelim area of study for eng is the same asyour hsc one so there's no extra work and with the sciences you basically go over the core concepts in prelim but you don't do any extra work really, I did Eng Adv, Bio & 3u Math in 04 when I was fresh out of year 10 so it is very do-able. However the Extension, Work Placement, LOTE & Music courses aren't really suitable to do matric which means in the least amount of time possible. I would suggest that you go to granville and annoy the secratary until she gives you the granville hsc packet as every TAFE has one they just don't post it on the web. And the reason I'm going to so many TAFEs this year is that I really wanna do the 4u subs.
About the info session just bring your year 10 results and cheque/card or proof of centrelink along with your parent. They basically preach at you for an hour about what you already know then they will assign you an interview time. At my interview we just talked about which subs I wanted to do e.t.c IIRC they have some policy about not enrolling a newcomer to the course in more than 3 subs if you do the matric option

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
depends if you've done any prelim or hsc work cos you gotta remember that in the matric program you technically do 2 prelim units + 2 hsc units = 4 units so 3 subs equals 12 units but if you've done any work in prelim or hsc they'll let you do as many subs as you want

Sasky

HSC
I went to Bradfield interview today with my sis.

It wasnt v. scary, the principle/director talked to us together, asked us what subjects we wanted. Told us we couldnt do any subs we havent done before in prelim.
I wanted to pick up just ONE subject I havent done before, but he said no.
He looked at our UAIs, subjects, asked us why we wanted to do it again, talked about our subject selection and gave us some advice - v. laid back and casual.
We got offered a place if we wanted to take up the subjects again.
My sister got 95 in '03, wants to get 98+, she's only resitting between 1-3 subjects - only comes in twice a week, I come in every day, periods between 8.30-6. The number of each varies each day.

Now my options are either to accept the subjects at Bradfield - and I'll be redoing a subject I dont want to do - Ancient (I'd doing 5 units of History if I did and 6 subjects), or do Legal with other subs (5 subjects) at Ultimo, or do subjects I dont want at N Sydney or look into Hornsby.

I went to Ultimo again today, but they said "we dont know what the max. no of subjects u can study in 1 year, we dont even know what subjects we're offering this year - u have to come back on the info day". But thats on the 20-something- this month. And I have to accept Bradfield or decline.
And Hornsby's far away too. And N. Syd's close but the subs. suck.

I thought tafe would be easy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)