HSC Biology Android and iOS [Complete port of HSC Online Bio for offline viewing] (1 Viewer)

epz

HSC
Hey everyone,

Recently (about 4 months ago), I thought to myself, hey wouldn't it be great if I could port the entire HSC Online Biology content onto a mobile platform so that I can view it offline? Well, I actually got a little interested in developing the app, and by spending 30 minutes a day for around 2-3 months, I was able to create this application.

For the more technical people, this app uses the PhoneGap framework and HTML5 along side with jQuery.

Here are some screenshots:
Home Screen:

Dot Point Selection:

Actual Content:

This app was made with the explicit permission from HSC Online and acknowledgements have been made in the app.

This App is FREE of charge and does NOT contain advertisements.

Key Features:
- Structured syllabus outcomes
- Content directly from HSC Online (hsc.csu.edu.au)
- Covers entire HSC Biology + Options
- Easy to read, mobile interface
- Slick GUI with appealing colours
- Free with no ads

Do you have a iPhone or iOS device? (iPod Touch etc)

I've got a partial solution for that too!

You can visit http://learn.shubh.am/

The only downside is that you will need to be on the internet to view the website. Sorry guys! iOS applications cost far too much for me to actually make and I don't seem to have the time sadly :(

Thanks for reading!
By the way, the application is completely free, has no ads and only uses internet permissions as its required by phonegap. I spent hours on this project and I would REALLY appreciate any feedback or even criticism/things I could possibly implement in the future (If I ever get the time lol). Good luck and have fun with this app! :)

Known Bugs:
Sony Xperia S has Layout Problems
Galaxy SII has layout problems
Home button issues in some phone

Last edited:

ayeplus_

HSC
Hey, this is awesome! Great job :) I commend you for your dedication and hard work
I've just downloaded the application and I reckon it'd be convenient if there was a home page with all the hyperlinks for the core and optional modules instead of a really long, continuous page.
And from clicking the module, it would lead to the main points
e.g. Home page | Maintaining a Balance -> Point 1/2/3/4 -> A new page with all the dot points for the topic e.g. Identify the role of enzymes...

Hopefully you get what I mean, haha. I can finally go over bio in my spare time. Thank you! :D

epz

HSC
Hey, this is awesome! Great job :) I commend you for your dedication and hard work
I've just downloaded the application and I reckon it'd be convenient if there was a home page with all the hyperlinks for the core and optional modules instead of a really long, continuous page.
And from clicking the module, it would lead to the main points
e.g. Home page | Maintaining a Balance -> Point 1/2/3/4 -> A new page with all the dot points for the topic e.g. Identify the role of enzymes...

Hopefully you get what I mean, haha. I can finally go over bio in my spare time. Thank you! :D
Okay, awesome! Thanks for trying the app and giving me feedback, much appreciated. I think right now, it's a bit too late for me to redo the basis of the application, but however, in the next release, I will be adding a funky but very accurate search function which will work like a treat. Hopefully that will fix some stuff up. I also aim to make it a little faster/less laggy :)

Once again, cheers!

CaffeineMotor

HSC
You just won good bloke award for the year now XD

This is great, thanks for putting the effort into this! My only problem is that the menu with all the options to select Core--> outcome etc. are all over the place on my phone and are in blue text rather than the neat format seen in your pictures. (Samsung Galaxy SII) Luckily the information itself for each dot point is in the correct format and works perfectly.

epz

HSC
You just won good bloke award for the year now XD

This is great, thanks for putting the effort into this! My only problem is that the menu with all the options to select Core--> outcome etc. are all over the place on my phone and are in blue text rather than the neat format seen in your pictures. (Samsung Galaxy SII) Luckily the information itself for each dot point is in the correct format and works perfectly.
Hey, Cheers for the feedback! :D
Could you perhaps send me a screenshot if not too much trouble, i'll try and fix this when I can and get back to you :)
I haven't really tested it on all phones but would like to fix it so that others with SII can use it properly)
Also, if the content is really bothering you, you can use the web app (needs internet) (learn.shubh.am) - as it is running wordpress and is a bit better than the static app, it may work out better for the phone itself.
Thanks!

starshine02

HSC
Pretty good app but I think some links should be made for the core topics as well.

I'm not sure if it's my phone but the app looks really different from the screenshots given (I see the text rather than the neater layout). The tables are also not correctly shown (but pictures work) and the home button doesn't work for me :\

epz

HSC
Pretty good app but I think some links should be made for the core topics as well.

I'm not sure if it's my phone but the app looks really different from the screenshots given (I see the text rather than the neater layout). The tables are also not correctly shown (but pictures work) and the home button doesn't work for me :\
Hey :)
Thanks for the feedback, could you perhaps post a screenshot of the messed up layout, and if so what type of phone you're using. I'll trial it out and fix it ASAP in the next release :)
Also, where abouts did the home button not work? Try restarting the app, so sorry for the inconvenience :p
Cheers

starshine02

HSC
Hey :)
Thanks for the feedback, could you perhaps post a screenshot of the messed up layout, and if so what type of phone you're using. I'll trial it out and fix it ASAP in the next release :)
Also, where abouts did the home button not work? Try restarting the app, so sorry for the inconvenience :p
Cheers
I'll PM it to you

academical

HSC
This sounds quite promising! :)

However, every time I attempt to open the app, this message appears on my screen:

"Application Error: The connection to the server was unsuccessful. (file:///android_asset/www/index.html)"

My phone is a Huawei Sonic, although I am not sure whether the fault lies within my phone, or the app itself.

Great concept though:)

academical

HSC
Wait, disregard my previous post - the app is now working!

The layout is exactly like that which is portrayed in your screenshots. It is easy to use, and all diagrams and pictures are visible too!

Great work epz - a job well done:D

epz

HSC
Wait, disregard my previous post - the app is now working!

The layout is exactly like that which is portrayed in your screenshots. It is easy to use, and all diagrams and pictures are visible too!

Great work epz - a job well done:D
Hey, I actually figured out a bug because of that error :) I ended up fixing it too!
A new update is being pushed out as we talk.
Fixes:"Application Error: The connection to the server was unsuccessful. (file:///android_asset/www/index.html)"
Stuff which isn't fixed yet: Home button not working [I might remove it completely], Layout problems

Remember, the web app (learn.shubh.am) is 100% bugless in my opinion, so if you don't need offline access, just go straight there :)

Cheers guys!

academical

HSC
I'm glad I could have been of some assistance haha - keep up the great work! :D
I'm sure a lot of students will benefit from the added accessibility this app provides:)

epz

HSC
I'm glad I could have been of some assistance haha - keep up the great work! :D
I'm sure a lot of students will benefit from the added accessibility this app provides:)
It's positive feedback like this that keeps me happy and continuing this project :D Good luck in biology, wish you the best.

ocatal

HSC
Thank you soo much for taking your time to put this together! This is exactly what I need to study on the go. Great idea!

epz

HSC
Thank you soo much for taking your time to put this together! This is exactly what I need to study on the go. Great idea!
Thanks for the positive feedback :D, let me know if you have any bugs or any problems so I can fix it when I release the next update.

nifkeh

HSC
omg that's cool, except that I don't do bio lol. but good work for helping others and yourself out btw, especially since all the hsc related stuff is all paid on android :) you could earn a bit of pocket money if you put in a banner ad, but the decision is yours

epz

HSC
omg that's cool, except that I don't do bio lol. but good work for helping others and yourself out btw, especially since all the hsc related stuff is all paid on android :) you could earn a bit of pocket money if you put in a banner ad, but the decision is yours
I would appreciate it if you told your friends who do bio about this, it would be great :D And ads, nah, I just don't feel right profiting off content which is not mine (HSCOnline). All I did was make it offline, user friendly and look good :p Thanks for your suggestion though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)