HSC Chemistry SOLUTIONS / Thoughts / Predictions (3 Viewers)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Also what raw mark would state rank be this year? I heard 98 raw was needed last year, but this year is a bit harder ofc
(assuming im rank 1 internally, but i could be rank 2)
Probably still fairly high as a lot of the exam was calculations so there will always usually be people who can get most of them out

JeydinNewWon

HSC
Oh boy. I'm only sitting at like low 80's right now.
Hey man, don't worry at all! This exam was harder than expected amongst the whole cohort. If anything, I feel B6 cutoff will be similar to Physics last year (which was like 76-77?), considering it was also a hard exam for Physics last year. I'd say even 75 cutoffs this year would be reasonable. All you can do now is just relax and wait for your marks. You have done enough, and your own personal best! There is nothing else that anyone can ask for.

Last edited:

NN03

HSC
Hey man, don't worry at all! This exam was harder than expected amongst the whole cohort. If anything, I feel B6 cutoff will be similar to Physics last year (which was like 76-77?), considering it was also a hard exam for Physics last year. I'd say even 75 cutoffs this year would be reasonable. All you can do now is just relax and wait for your marks. You have done enough, and your own personal best! There is nothing else that anyone can ask for.
Yeah thanks for the positive reinforcement bro. It's true, time to relax.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Imma lose my marks I think due to my calculations...I was stressing a lot in the exam and I might've punched in my calculator wrong...feelsbad :/
Hopefully it isn't too much!
I'm sure you'll do amazing mate. From the sounds of it you're set for a 90+ raw which is ridiculous

JeydinNewWon

HSC
I'm sure you'll do amazing mate. From the sounds of it you're set for a 90+ raw which is ridiculous
Nah I don't believe I got a 90+ raw for Chem. t was mistaken with calculations and I am not really confident with MC either. I think I just lost basic marks due to other things, too. 85+ raw is more reasonable, as I said...but I just find that it's best just to wait for the final outcome.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I have just posted https://boredofstudies.org/threads/bos-trials-maths-and-chemistry-2020.392093/page-6#post-7354045 a long comment on Q25 of the 2020 HSC, the citric acid / sodium hydroxide question with the temperature v. volume graph in it.

I have also discussed (in the same thread) extrapolation and interpolation. I think that there will be many students penalised on this question for doing the graph / analysis incorrectly. (Sorry.) I thought you'd want to see and perhaps comment, here or there.

Nikolerak

HSC
Nah I don't believe I got a 90+ raw for Chem. t was mistaken with calculations and I am not really confident with MC either. I think I just lost basic marks due to other things, too. 85+ raw is more reasonable, as I said...but I just find that it's best just to wait for the final outcome.
So when people are guessing how much will raw Mark's be scaled up, are you talking about the mark achieved in the HSC exam or a combination of the school mark/rank and HSC mark?

Terminator21

HSC
In my school for chem i am 11th but tied with 5 other people. Does anyone know how our internal assessment marks get moderated. Like who gets the 11th persons exam mark?

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
In my school for chem i am 11th but tied with 5 other people. Does anyone know how our internal assessment marks get moderated. Like who gets the 11th persons exam mark?
If you all tied exactly for 11th rank then you all get the same assessment mark as far as I can tell 🤷🏻‍♂️

black.mamba

HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the raw internal marks sent by your school seem to be rounded, and the ranks are given off the rounded marks. I don't think rounded marks would be used to calculate your internal HSC marks, as that would be unfair to some students.

In your case, that would mean that your actual internal rank could vary from 11th to 15th. Note that your position within the cohort is used to calculate your internal mark (slightly different to using rank). As ranks 11 to 15 all have the same rounded mark, there would be little difference in your internal mark whether you are actually ranked 11th or 15th, as position-wise, your internal marks are very close to each other.

If all 5 students are tied exactly in their raw internal marks (same mark every assessment), then you would all get the exact same internal HSC mark, which would roughly correspond to the 13th best exam mark, although again, it depends heavily on how the cohort, as a whole, performs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)