HSC English Area of Study stimulus booklet withdrawn (1 Viewer)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Board Bulletin (Vol 17 No 1)

Teachers of English are reminded that the Area of Study stimulus booklet for the HSC English (Standard, Advanced and English as a Second Language) courses has been withdrawn as a prescribed text for the 2008 HSC onwards. This was previously communicated to schools via:
• fax stream to principals in May 2006
• Official Notice BOS 40/06 (Board Bulletin Vol 15 No 4, 2006), and
• Official Notice BOS 34/07 (Board Bulletin Vol 16 No 3, 2007).

The stimulus booklet was an introductory support document intended to assist teachers in implementing the Area of Study in the initial years of the new HSC. Schools were advised at the time that the Board would review use of the stimulus booklet.

http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu..../HSC-English-Area-of-Study-stimulus-withdrawn

====

Wow, no more stimulus booklet, that's odd.

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
This year?
We don't have to use the stim book. I think we already know that lol.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
bassistx said:
This year?
We don't have to use the stim book. I think we already know that lol.
I misread it. So you don't use the Journey's Stimulus booklet at all? I never knew that.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Yeah 07 was the last year of the stimulus booklet, it doesnt exist anymore. Just prescribed texts and own chosen texts. Our teacher says that makes our own texts more important than they have been in previous years

Last edited:

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
We can't use it? Or we don't have to use it?

Can someone clarify?

bassistx

HSC
Shadose said:
We can't use it? Or we don't have to use it?

Can someone clarify?
Sure thing, sweet pea.

IT
IS
NOT
IN
USE
ANY
LONGER

You won't even get to see it :D

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
me121 said:
I misread it. So you don't use the Journey's Stimulus booklet at all? I never knew that.
Does that mean we can't use one of the texts as a related material?
Can we still use one of the texts as a related material? I have written a bit...I'm scared I'll have to start over again :'(

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Shadose said:
Can we still use one of the texts as a related material? I have written a bit...I'm scared I'll have to start over again :'(
I don't see any reason as to why you cannot use material previously published as part of the stimulus booklet as related martial. However just to be sure you might want to check with your teacher.

bassistx

HSC
Shadose said:
If you use anything that was in the past HSC/SC you will get less marks because you haven't gone out and gotten it yourself, you know what I mean?
They explained this to us :)

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
lol, its like you write a sign that says "There is no gold buried underneath" XD after you have finished burying it. (stole that from a chinese proverb)
Anyway, it's not related enough to what I'm doing. Thnks anyway :)

bassistx

HSC
Shadose said:
lol, its like you write a sign that says "There is no gold buried underneath" XD after you have finished burying it. (stole that from a chinese proverb)
Anyway, it's not related enough to what I'm doing. Thnks anyway :)
Lol I'm saying not to do it because it's been in the HSC and School Certificate. Not because I want brilliant marks or anything. Everybody wants to do it.

But whatever, good luck :)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
bassistx said:
If you use anything that was in the past HSC/SC you will get less marks because you haven't gone out and gotten it yourself, you know what I mean?
They explained this to us :)
I disagree with this. Dispite what might actually happen, the marker's should not award you "less marks" just because you use a text that was in the past on a prescribed list.

bassistx

HSC
me121 said:
I disagree with this. Dispite what might actually happen, the marker's should not award you "less marks" just because you use a text that was in the past on a prescribed list.
For a school assessment I wasn't able to do something that was in the Preliminary HSC.
If you don't put any effort into research/analysis/etc they take marks off. This came straight from HSC markers.
If anybody wants to do otherwise, your risk. I couldn't care less. I've done my part.

bassistx

HSC
ticky2002 said:
How much related material should you have?
- I suck at finding the stuff.
2 per module (that requires supp. texts) at least

bassistx

HSC
It's alright, but you wouldn't need more than 2-3.
4 is going overboard - remember, you're limited on time. 2 in detail better than 3 in brief.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
i just used 1 in my exams.. lol. i ran out of time to write about another one. and for another module, i only ever found 1 text.

bassistx

HSC
ticky2002 said:
Do you happen to know any good techniques to be able to remember the texts in detali?
Well...
I don't know about detail, but you generally have to remember key points then expand on them.
e.g A goes to war
B kills A
B marries C
C has G

etc. I know that was a shit example, but whatever.
To the remember the key points/plot storyline points, an idea would be to study them each with a different colour. Associate them with a colour. So when you think of that colour, you remember the points and then you can elaborate.
In teh exam room, just tie different coloured ribbons/bands to your wrists and when you see the colours, you'll recall your points.
It all depends. You could use perfume... It depends on how you learn and what's effective for you. Experiment and see how you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)