HSC Inspiration - Your School Rank Doesn't Matter (1 Viewer)

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
100% truth.

The school I taught at this year was ranked 305.

Highest ATAR was 99.7 followed by 98.90, 98.40 and 98.15.

People who use poor school rank for poor performance show poor form.

Anjana is not just some chick :p
Didn't think it was appropriate identifying her :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
My friend's school was so shit he got an EAS point for going there
and he got 99.25
(so he got into GrifTAFE MedSc/MD first round which has a 99.75 cutoff or something)

And a guy at my school this year (ranked like 300) got 99.4

so like
~anything can happen~~~

(But the first guy is incredibly smart (first in my med cohort and stuff) and both of these guys worked ~really~ hard
I would rather my <95
because my effort was shit
like <1% of their effort
but it's possible)
((Like, if they went to selective schools the first guy would've gotten 99.95 and the second would've gotten like 99.5)) ~~~

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Why do you believe that they would have got better marks at a selective school? They most likely would just have been part of the pack.
Selective schools are like greenhouses.

Less time spent overcoming people like turning deodorant cans into flamethrowers in your classes/getting access to resource-more time refining finer points of HSC approach
Not worrying as much about externals because if you have a good rank at selective, you will get a good assessment, when you are at a low school, no pressure off because you have to gun every HSC exam because a rank 1 will mean nothing if rank 2 gets an 80 in the sub.
Being able to see the competition directly is a lot easier than trying to imagine the competition-better motivator.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Selective schools are like greenhouses.

Less time spent overcoming people like turning deodorant cans into flamethrowers in your classes/getting access to resource-more time refining finer points of HSC approach
Not worrying as much about externals because if you have a good rank at selective, you will get a good assessment, when you are at a low school, no pressure off because you have to gun every HSC exam because a rank 1 will mean nothing if rank 2 gets an 80 in the sub.
Being able to see the competition directly is a lot easier than trying to imagine the competition-better motivator.

This is true. That is the only reason why some students don't get the 99.95, but instead manage a 96+.

But then again, I was surprised with my 96+ simply because I didn't think I put the same amount of effort as others.

I thought people who got 96+ were those who did more than 6 hours per night after school and 20+ hours per weekend. I was completely wrong.

I managed my mark in half that amount of study time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)