HSC marks... (1 Viewer)

Lugia

Hey everyone!

Say in a school a person "A" came first in the grade for a certain subject. And a person "B" came 3rd in the grade. Both A and B goes and do the HSC. Say if B had suddendly studied REALLY hard and got the top mark in the state for that subject. Would A actually get B's mark and be top just cause he is top in the school? Or is your HSC mark sorta independent from your school marks?

Basically I'm asking would the top person in a school always get the top mark in the HSC.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
You get two marks: HSC and School Assement.

For the HSC:
"A" will get "A's" mark
"B" will get "B's" mark (but you guessed that ...)

For School Assement:
A and B (with the rest of their school) will get a "pool" of HSC marks. "A" will get a larger portion of the pool (cause he went better than "B"). In a sense he's getting "B's" HSC mark, but with scaling, moderating and aligning he's not really.

PS If your a feminist or very PC change all of my "he's" to "she's" or "s/he's".

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Interesting.. I have a similar question, but a bit different.

I need to ask you a question:

At the end of the year, the ranks were sent to board of studies:

1. Tifa
2. Aeris
3. Yuffie
4. Cid
5. Cloud
6. Red
7. Vincent
8. Barret

That is the ranks from school assessments, say 4unit maths.

Here are the results of the HSC test in raw marks:

1. Cloud 75%
2. Aeris 64%
3. Tifa 62%
4. Yuffie 58%
5. Cid 55%
6. Vincent 53%
7. Red 52%
8. Barret 48%

Just asking you, who will get the highest scaled for extension 2 out of these?

p.s this is a real situation in my class, me being cloud :) do I have chances to get really high scaled mark in extension 2? Even if i dont become #1.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
Interesting.. I have a similar question, but a bit different.

I need to ask you a question:

At the end of the year, the ranks were sent to board of studies:

1. Tifa
2. Aeris
3. Yuffie
4. Cid
5. Cloud
6. Red
7. Vincent
8. Barret

That is the ranks from school assessments, say 4unit maths.

Here are the results of the HSC test in raw marks:

1. Cloud 75%
2. Aeris 64%
3. Tifa 62%
4. Yuffie 58%
5. Cid 55%
6. Vincent 53%
7. Red 52%
8. Barret 48%

Just asking you, who will get the highest scaled for extension 2 out of these?

p.s this is a real situation in my class, me being cloud :) do I have chances to get really high scaled mark in extension 2? Even if i dont become #1.

yes

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>yes

So... You repost the ENTIRE MESSAGE, and, with referring to what you are talking about, reply with "yes."

Very specific of you.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
>yes

So... You repost the ENTIRE MESSAGE, and, with referring to what you are talking about, reply with "yes."

Very specific of you.
Thankyou

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
Seriously Michael, that's a blatant example of upping the number of posts. You've answered half of his questions.
Im so sorry, I misread ...

Thought it said "will I get highest" rather than "who". So I change my answer to Cloud (but of course this depends on the way 4U is scaled and the way your school is scaled)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If we assume that the relative differences between the raw assessment marks of the students are the same, we can calculate their moderated assessment marks and hence their raw HSC marks (not aligned). These marks would then be scaled and so on before contributing to the UAI.

<table border=1><tr><td></td><td>Mod Assess</td><td>Raw Exam</td><td>Raw HSC</td></tr><tr><td>Cloud</td><td>59.57</td><td>75</td><td>67.285</td></tr><tr><td>Tifa</td><td>75</td><td>62</td><td>68.5</td></tr><tr><td>Aeris</td><td>71.14</td><td>64</td><td>67.57</td></tr><tr><td>Yuffie</td><td>67.29</td><td>58</td><td>62.645</td></tr><tr><td>Cid</td><td>63.43</td><td>55</td><td>59.215</td></tr><tr><td>Red</td><td>55.71</td><td>52</td><td>53.855</td></tr><tr><td>Vincent</td><td>51.86</td><td>53</td><td>52.43</td></tr><tr><td>Barret</td><td>48</td><td>48</td><td>48</td></tr></table>

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
bleh to that massive scaledown!

hopefully the people above me will do WAY better than me, because i did 5 weeks worth of 4 hours study on maths ext 2. So long as they do good :)

and thanks for the help :)

schwang_thang

Originally posted by Bon
The person who comes first automatically gets the top exam mark as their moderated assessment mark, whether it's their own, or someone else's. They also get their own HSC mark, to give the average of their HSC mark.

The person who comes 3rd can still beat the person who came first if they do better than the person who came first in the exam, and get a decent moderated assessment mark.
huh? how does that happen? no.3 beat no.1 in which case? (the exam, hsc mark...)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
no.3 cant beat no.1 in moderated assesment, coz thats distributed on rank
but...if no.3 does significantly better than no.1 in hsc exam, then no.3's hsc mark (average of mod assess and exam) may turn out better than no.1

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
That's right, and that highest assessment mark will be equal to the highest exam mark achieved by the students studying the course at your school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)