HSC over 2 years (Accumulated Units), do you think it's unfair? (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
So if you already didn't know; it's possible to accumulate HSC units and thus an ATAR over a period of 5 years. Places like TAFE offer HSC courses where someone can choose as little or as many HSC units as they want to study, and complete the HSC in 1 to 5 years if they wish, with no scaling disadvantage.

I'm about to finish my first year of yr 12 at high school where I've studied 10 HSC units. For a number of personal reasons I've decided to go to TAFE next year and do 6 extra HSC units. So by December next year I will have completed 16 HSC units, and naturally UAC will select only my best 10 to contribute to my ATAR. I wan't to here your opinion on the matter?

Last edited:

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Why do you want to complete 16 units if the minimum is 10. If I was you I will just complete 12 units

ellie95

HSC
N/A
I do my HSC over 2 years, 3 subjects this year, 3 subjects next year

Rohanco

HSC
Why do you want to complete 16 units if the minimum is 10. If I was you I will just complete 12 units
Alot of crap happened this year, I missed alot of school, and naturally its affected my marks through out the year. So I decided to repeat half of my course

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Oh how's it going for you, where are you doing it, if you don't mind me asking?
Well this year I'm doing Chemistry, 2U Maths and Business studies (I will then sit my hsc for them) and the following year I'm doing Biology, Legal Studies, Adv English, EEXT1

Trust me its so good, less stressful im only studying 3 subjects for my hsc and i cant imagine studying for 6.

Rohanco

HSC
Well this year I'm doing Chemistry, 2U Maths and Business studies (I will then sit my hsc for them) and the following year I'm doing Biology, Legal Studies, Adv English, EEXT1

Trust me its so good, less stressful im only studying 3 subjects for my hsc and i cant imagine studying for 6.
Do you do it through TAFE?

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Do you do it through TAFE?
My school actually decided to go with this system, so i do it through school. I strongly reccomend that you do it even if it is with tafe, it is really beneficial. What subjects do you do?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a pretty big advocate for not extending your HS education longer than you have to. Are you sure it's not better to get into the uni system and then transfer?

Rohanco

HSC
My school actually decided to go with this system, so i do it through school. I strongly reccomend that you do it even if it is with tafe, it is really beneficial. What subjects do you do?
At school this year I'm doing Eng Adv, Gen Math, Bio, Ancient and DT. Biology(ranked 9) and Ancient History(ranked 2nd) are the only two subjects I will score a good mark in at this rate, so those 2 subjects will count for my ATAR next year. Next year I'l go to TAFE and repeat English Adv, do 2U, and I'm still decided on a third subject.

I've never heard of a school offering split Units like that, where do you go?

Last edited:

Rohanco

HSC
I'm a pretty big advocate for not extending your HS education longer than you have to. Are you sure it's not better to get into the uni system and then transfer?
Haha I understand where you're coming from, It's something I definitely did consider for a while. But doing extra units next year will be better. A better ATAR will open more opportunities than getting into a Uni course with a cut off of 50 and then trying to transfer.

ellie95

HSC
N/A
At school this year I'm doing Eng Adv, Gen Math, Bio, Ancient and DT. Biology(ranked 9) and Ancient History(ranked 2nd) are the only two subjects I will score a good mark in at this rate, so those 2 subjects will count for my ATAR next year. Next year I'l go to TAFE and repeat English Adv, do 2U, and I'm still decided on a third subject.

I've never heard of a school offering split Units like that, where do you go?
School in Hills area Sydney. It's very different, they like to be unique but its good cause studies and results show that systems like this students get better atars in the end.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I understand where you're coming from, It's something I definitely did consider for a while. But doing extra units next year will be better. A better ATAR will open more opportunities than getting into a Uni course with a cut off of 50 and then trying to transfer.
As long as you don't lose motivation while all your friends move on and you're in TAFE environment and also the same personal problems don't crop up again. With only knowing your Bio and Ancient ranks, is it possible to know the rest and school rank?

But if you're younger for your year or not already been at HS for six years, it might not be as bad. But I'm just not an advocate of it.

As ellie's school is structured that it still takes two years to do Yr 11/12 that would be better cause they cover their prelim content early in the year and then do HSC course.

Rohanco

HSC
As long as you don't lose motivation while all your friends move on and you're in TAFE environment and also the same personal problems don't crop up again. With only knowing your Bio and Ancient ranks, is it possible to know the rest and school rank?

But if you're younger for your year or not already been at HS for six years, it might not be as bad. But I'm just not an advocate of it.

As ellie's school is structured that it still takes two years to do Yr 11/12 that would be better cause they cover their prelim content early in the year and then do HSC course.
I only have just gained motivation, It's no problem that all my friends will be moving on. I'l start the new year in TAFE with people in the exact same situation as myself.

RishBonjour

HSC
Are you sure its just two years? some people complete HSC courses in year 10. e.g. last year's state ranker for 2u was in year 10.
this guy I know completed IPT in year 10
much less stressful IMO. but good for them for being aware. If i knew about this, I would have sat the 3u and 2u last year :(

alicekate18

HSC
I'm doing mine over two years as well (my school was completely fine with it...most schools where I live support it. Do some schools not allow/support it?)
Other than the fact that I don't know anybody in my grade now, it's a great idea. Personally I wouldn't want to do it all in one year ._.

lolcakes52

HSC
When I was in Year 11 I did accelerated chemistry at Tafe as well as all my preliminary subjects. No regrets, best decision of my schooling life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)