HSC OVERALL MARKS GOAL AND/OR REALISTIC PREDICTIONS (1 Viewer)

Luukas.2

HSC

So, once all the NaOH is consumed in the 1:1 reaction of NaOH and HA, the mixture consists of:
plus sodium ions in an aqueous solution. These can be converted to concentrations using the total volume of 65.00 mL and put into an ICE table, yielding

where is the concentration of hydronium ions at equilibrium. Solving this with the usual assumptions - that - will give:

The same result will be obtained using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

And there is only one small problem with this calculation and answer... it is clearly wrong! If I take a weak acid solution and neutralise less than half of it, I can't possibly get a basic solution.

So, where is the problem?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch solution is incorrect as it is derived for a system at equilibrium, and so with the concentrations of the acidic and basic forms being equilibrium concentrations. More problematically, the ICE table has started with a solution of HA and A- and the hydronium concentration being zero. This is impossible in any aqueous system, but is usually not a problem as the contribution of the equilibrium system to the hydronium concentration is much greater than is the contribution from the auto-ionisation of the water / solvent. If you look at the calculated hydronium concentration above, you can see that it is smaller than than the amount in neutral water at room temperature. So, to find the actual pH, a quick-and-dirty solution is to add in the contribution from the solvent to the contribution from the equilibrium:

I don't think figuring this out is a reasonable expectation at HSC level.

Luukas.2

HSC
Ka and pka for strong acid is redundant in hsc bc its assumed strong acids ionise completely hence ka = infinity
That's true, for strong acids using pKa values is largely irrelevant for the HSC... my point was that the question states that perchloric acid has a pKa near 9 when it is actual near -15... that's out by 24 orders of magnitude or a factor of 100 million cubed. That's a lot!

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
That's true, for strong acids using pKa values is largely irrelevant for the HSC... my point was that the question states that perchloric acid has a pKa near 9 when it is actual near -15... that's out by 24 orders of magnitude or a factor of 100 million cubed. That's a lot!
yeh I assume they just made a weak acid neut question, probably using another paper question as inspiration and subbed in a random acid without checking its strength

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

So, once all the NaOH is consumed in the 1:1 reaction of NaOH and HA, the mixture consists of:
plus sodium ions in an aqueous solution. These can be converted to concentrations using the total volume of 65.00 mL and put into an ICE table, yielding

where is the concentration of hydronium ions at equilibrium. Solving this with the usual assumptions - that - will give:

The same result will be obtained using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

And there is only one small problem with this calculation and answer... it is clearly wrong! If I take a weak acid solution and neutralise less than half of it, I can't possibly get a basic solution.

So, where is the problem?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch solution is incorrect as it is derived for a system at equilibrium, and so with the concentrations of the acidic and basic forms being equilibrium concentrations. More problematically, the ICE table has started with a solution of HA and A- and the hydronium concentration being zero. This is impossible in any aqueous system, but is usually not a problem as the contribution of the equilibrium system to the hydronium concentration is much greater than is the contribution from the auto-ionisation of the water / solvent. If you look at the calculated hydronium concentration above, you can see that it is smaller than than the amount in neutral water at room temperature. So, to find the actual pH, a quick-and-dirty solution is to add in the contribution from the solvent to the contribution from the equilibrium:

I don't think figuring this out is a reasonable expectation at HSC level.
breh

carrotsss

HSC
yh i was just jokin, somethings never go away i.e integration skills

happily my english trauma has went away :D

although i doubt im as fast as i was in the hsc and i dont remember some identities
how did u memorise essays without feeling extreme pain the whole time

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
i thought you said you did?
i made essay plans and drafts but i never memorised them. id just absorb the jist of the essay and the ideas then id just practice adapting those stuff into papers.

my friends cautioned me from doing that but im built diff esp for mod C @temporarylol can affirm 😎 can write absolute garbage but top with it

not sure if i should recommend u to memorise but if it works for u, go do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)