HSC performance pieces (1 Viewer)

g320033

HSC
6erAnimeBassist said:
LOL u ppl.
I played on my 6 string bass:
norwegian wood - victor wooten
teen town - Jaco Pastorious (with jazz ensemble that I arranged)
Portrait of Tracy/Continuum - Jaco Pastorius

and got 19/20 for each in my trials.

Steve Vai has alot of feeling I guess its cause u stupid teenagers cant understand that one can playing technically profiscient and have feeling. At your age you all think in black and white terms.
"Either they play crap and therfore have feeling or they play excellently and because of that have no feeling." Thats what you think and that way of thinking shows your ignorance.
Btw dont repsond to me claim thats not what u think cause i know im right so STFU.
PWNT NOOBS

"At your age" Im pretty sure where the same age dumbass
I think your over simplifying my arguement. I not saying that feeling will make you a better player because punk emos have lots of "feeling" but they still cant get out of their crappy 1 4 5 proggressions. The end result is still crap music.
We are just talking about steve vai and his ability to kiss ass. I really dont want to talk about this anymore so i will try to change the topic to something else that might cause controvesy.

Do you think german folk singers/songwriter 'Hans Yestvas' second album BELIEVE is better then his first album IMAGINE or is he trying to hard to be a european pop sex symbol? Whats your opinion?

Gangels

HSC
I hate musicals from the musical Ruthless
No one Is Alone from Into the Woods
Do you know what it means to miss new orleans
Soma by the smashing pumpkins

All these on guitar and vocals. Soma is the best song ever.

6erAnimeBassist

HSC
Well firstly I meant age mentally and clearly in the fact that you belive "punk emos have lots of "feeling". THe thing is Its fake, overdone, cliche, off-the-self feeling dished out of the "feel-o-matic" machine outback. They do indeed use 1 4 5 progressions almost exclusivley hence the fake feeling.
And besides im a fusion player atleast (unlike Steve vai and most prog) Fusion uses ANYTHING BUT cliche chord progressions and harmonies.
In the end you cant easily define "feeling" in a piece but most are quick to point out what doesnt have feeling. Feeling however is a simplified term, in reality the feeling comes from you ability. THe way in which you can grasp people through your playing. Thats wher I come back to my arguement that SKill is needed in creating REAL feeling not cheesy fake feeling (ALA PUNK EMO).
And by skill i dont mean shredding but tasteful playing where one knows that the musician is capable of shredding (in terms of wahtever instreument they use) but can play just the right notes. The point of feeling is somewhere in between prog rock shredding and general power chording rock. IMO i believe its fusion.

sophie_dybs

Elite!
HSC
i do music one... i play flute... am doing seventh grade

PIECES:
Instrument and Rep: Jules Mouquet 5 short pieces
Music of the 18th century: Sonata in G Minor by JS Bach
Australian Music: Marsh Birds by Miriam Hyde
Core: Heni Busser Petite suite

i had to cut some for time but i think they are cool!

g320033

HSC
6erAnimeBassist said:
Well firstly I meant age mentally and clearly in the fact that you belive "punk emos have lots of "feeling". THe thing is Its fake, overdone, cliche, off-the-self feeling dished out of the "feel-o-matic" machine outback. They do indeed use 1 4 5 progressions almost exclusivley hence the fake feeling.
And besides im a fusion player atleast (unlike Steve vai and most prog) Fusion uses ANYTHING BUT cliche chord progressions and harmonies.
In the end you cant easily define "feeling" in a piece but most are quick to point out what doesnt have feeling. Feeling however is a simplified term, in reality the feeling comes from you ability. THe way in which you can grasp people through your playing. Thats wher I come back to my arguement that SKill is needed in creating REAL feeling not cheesy fake feeling (ALA PUNK EMO).
And by skill i dont mean shredding but tasteful playing where one knows that the musician is capable of shredding (in terms of wahtever instreument they use) but can play just the right notes. The point of feeling is somewhere in between prog rock shredding and general power chording rock. IMO i believe its fusion.
I agree with some of your comments. Whatever you do u need at least some skills. I am not too familiar with much fusion music but i think ALL musicians nowadays have some fusion element in their music. Whether it is because of their culture, listening influences etc.
Examples include: Incubus (metal/funk) John mayer (blues/rock/pop) and Steve Vai (metal/homo rock)

You do make some valid comments
Then again you are a stupid bass player

P.S try to read the book "shaking the mith of the stupid bass player"

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Music doesn't have to be complicated to be good. While there's nothing wrong with a complex design, I personally don't approve of attempting to compose something experimental if it's going to be done badly.

Much popular music contains only power chords because that is all that is needed. People often criticise bands such as Green Day and Blink 182, and while I am quite neutral to both of these artists, I have yet to see such a complainer create a song more catchy or melodic than either of these two. Most artists are popular for a reason. There's quite a large chance that they're far more renowned than you, as well.

Just as there's good, simple songs (for example, most people would argue Boulevard Of Broken Dreams), there are not-so-good ones. However, it's unfair to judge an entire genre, based on your experience with a single song. Similarly, it's foolish to condemn an entire style of music simply because you do not like it; I don't enjoy jazz music, but I don't go around saying that every jazz musician in existence sucks.

Bexta12

HSC
I'm playing
1. Swing Low Sweet Chariot
2. I've got rhythm
3. Contest Piece
4. Somewhere over the Rainbow
All on Euphonium

My perf is tomorrow and i'm stressing!

bonnie04

HSC
i diddddd; (violin by the way)
1) spring, movement 1 from the four seasons - vivaldi (with a string quartet)
2) hungarian dance no.5 - brahms (with added violin, and piano)
3) appassionato - suk (with piano)
4) little chrissietina's magic fantasy - matthew hindson (duet with violin)

:)

Last edited:

jamesm88

HSC
core - cliffs of dover by eric johnson - guitar
ext ensemble - canzon by gabrieli - quartet: 2x cornet, tenor horn, trombone
ext solo - rusalka's song to the moon by dvorak - cornet
ext solo - for the love of god by STEVE FUCKIN VAI

everybody needs to cool it a bit over the vai issue. i wont lie, i fire up a treat whenever some wanker feels the need to put him down because they hate him because no matter how long they lock themselves in a room and play till their fingers are a bloody mess, they will never become a better MUSICIAN than him.

no feeling? whispering a prayer off the alive in an ultra world album. if you cant even look past that, go back to the frank zappa days. theres plenty of shit there thatll melt your brain just trying to comprehend the talent and skill needed to solo over those progressions. WITH FEELING.

and he can be girly and have a fan to blow his hair back because he's done his practice, hes made his records, and now he can do whatever the FUCK he wants. he's achieved what he set out to do.

now go try and learn ANYTHING that steve vai has ever played on, then come back and tell us how bad it kicked your ass so we can laugh at you.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
g320033 said:
I agree with some of your comments. Whatever you do u need at least some skills. I am not too familiar with much fusion music but i think ALL musicians nowadays have some fusion element in their music. Whether it is because of their culture, listening influences etc.
Examples include: Incubus (metal/funk) John mayer (blues/rock/pop) and Steve Vai (metal/homo rock)

You do make some valid comments
Then again you are a stupid bass player

P.S try to read the book "shaking the mith of the stupid bass player"
First off, you're an idiot. You are older than me and yet you have the maturity of someone 5 years younger than me, not to mention the intelligence.

You constant Steve Vai bashing is unfounded and ignorant - anyone who saw his set at G3 on the 1st of this month could tell you that he has a LOT of feel in his music. Sure, he may not have the feel of some of the great blues players of our time, but you can't deny the feeling in his live playing. From what I have read of your comments of Steve Vai, you seem to be bashing him based on what you have heard on record, not his live performance (which in many people's opinion, is what counts). When you can't see the player actually playing something, it is hard to guage the amount of feeling in the music.

Also, your criticisms of Steve Vai seem limited to the fact that 'hes a homo' or 'he is a fag for having a fan onstage in front of him to move his hair'. Now I agree with the fact that he is more than likely a homosexual, however that does not mean that he is not a good musician.

Now I could go on forever about these apparently homophobic observations of yours, but I digress:

When was the last time people paid money to see you play? Not in a band, but by yourself with 'supporting' musicians.
When was the last time you recorded a Platinum album?
When was the last time people looked up to you as one of the greatest guitarists ever?

Anyway, back on topic, I think my ideas for my 2 performances for Music 1 have changed (again):
This time it is Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me and something else, not sure yet. I don't think that Metallica's Orion or Lamb Of God's The Subtle Arts Of Murder and Persuasion would be particularly good choices..

Anyway, give your opinions.

g320033

HSC
I am finished HSC so this will be my final posting. (people you have to let go when high school finishes-move on with your lives)

Firstly, i dont care whether you like steve vai/G3 or not. Music is totally subjective. That is the beauty of music and life. If we all agreed with the same things then life would be pretty boring.

Secondly, I would never want to make money out of music. From day one it was always a hobby and never a career. Its fun and games. Dont take it too seriously. Dont take anything too seriously either (except the risk of overfishing in our waters)

Thirdly, I wouldn't talk to a band 6 student like myself like that. This forum is set up for people to learn from greatness. The markers must have like my selection of music and my skill level so you should do simular. I want you to succeed, not fail.

Finally i am not homophobic. I have plenty of gay friends, you being one of them.
Peace to all, im handing out an olive branch
Please dont respond to this message because i will no longer visit this website.

And your inner child if you have spare tickets to the john mayer concert i will happily buy them off you.

Good luck

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
g320033 said:
I am finished HSC so this will be my final posting. (people you have to let go when high school finishes-move on with your lives)

Firstly, i dont care whether you like steve vai/G3 or not. Music is totally subjective. That is the beauty of music and life. If we all agreed with the same things then life would be pretty boring.

Secondly, I would never want to make money out of music. From day one it was always a hobby and never a career. Its fun and games. Dont take it too seriously. Dont take anything too seriously either (except the risk of overfishing in our waters)

Thirdly, I wouldn't talk to a band 6 student like myself like that. This forum is set up for people to learn from greatness. The markers must have like my selection of music and my skill level so you should do simular. I want you to succeed, not fail.

Finally i am not homophobic. I have plenty of gay friends, you being one of them.
Peace to all, im handing out an olive branch
Please dont respond to this message because i will no longer visit this website.

And your inner child if you have spare tickets to the john mayer concert i will happily buy them off you.

Good luck
I'll respond anyway - just to point out that you confirmed yourself as an absolute cock with that post. Enjoy your life and enjoy your constant failures that you will recieve.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Back on topic, are you doing Music 1 or 2, bringbackshred? It's great to see another guitar player here. In fact, there seem to be quite a lot in this thread...

I visited the AMC centre somewhat recently to find an Australian classical guitar piece to perform. I'm most likely going to try something by Richard Charlton or Phillip Houghton at this stage.

Are HSC guitar players common? I've heard that there are a lot of electric guitarists doing Music 1, but I don't know anything about Music 2. Does anyone have any ideas as to what standard people are generally at? I have a strong suspicion that I'm up against some extremely crushing competition, even if the instrument I play isn't as common as piano or violin.

Faker101

HSC
hey, im having major issues trying to find peices to do for my hsc, im a guitarist by the way. someone pleasssssse help

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Do you play classical or electric guitar, Faker101? Also, are you studying Music 1 or Music 2? I visited the AMC about two months ago and found a few pieces which could suffice for the Australian component of the course. For general preformance, my personal preference would be Romantic and twentieth-century music, such as Villa-Lobos, as I feel that that would enable me to show "strengths" (err, not really) in terms of style and emotive performance. Plus, I'm not such a technical player. You could always try a few Carcassi studies, as they're in the AMEB syllabus.

If you're playing electric guitar, why not try I'm Alright by Neil Zaza? It's a pleasant song, just like Always With Me, Always With You, but isn't as overplayed.

Faker101

HSC
My strengths are in electric guitar, and our school is small and only does music 1 i believe.Ok i'll look into them, thank you very much :)

me myself & i

HSC
I'm doing HSC music this year (2007). I'm a pianist, but I'm struggling to find pieces that are unique and not overplayed. Someone recommended "The Black and White Rag" to me. Anybody have any other ideas? I'm doing several performances and several vivas. Also, does anyone know where I can find sheet music to, or at least download the music to Matthew Orlovich's "Watercolours"???

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
187 said:
Back on topic, are you doing Music 1 or 2, bringbackshred? It's great to see another guitar player here. In fact, there seem to be quite a lot in this thread...

I visited the AMC centre somewhat recently to find an Australian classical guitar piece to perform. I'm most likely going to try something by Richard Charlton or Phillip Houghton at this stage.

Are HSC guitar players common? I've heard that there are a lot of electric guitarists doing Music 1, but I don't know anything about Music 2. Does anyone have any ideas as to what standard people are generally at? I have a strong suspicion that I'm up against some extremely crushing competition, even if the instrument I play isn't as common as piano or violin.
Damn, i should check this thread more often.. I'm doing Music 1 only because my didn't bother offering Music 2 and to doit I would have had to do it offline, which would immensely suck. I play mainly electric guitar too, btw.

pipolaaa

HSC
what do u think???
1. Legend, Contemporary Aus. piece for clarinet by Miriam Hyde
2. Songbird/Fields of Gold Eva cassidy Vocal
3. Clarinet Concerto In A by Mozart
4. Viva or Composition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)