HSC Physics Marathon 2017 (1 Viewer)

Bluee

HSC
How come there are no question left for me to answer!? :uhoh: Btw I like the idea of this thread and it would have been great if some people could have moved their discussions somewhere else as you are kind of spamming.

Heres my question and this should be really easy. So like calculate the period of a satellite orbiting the earth at an altitude of say 700,000 km. Okay so the radius of the earth is 6.38 × 10^6 m and the earth’s mass is 5.97 × 102^4 kg. Work it out people and show your full working.

I will look at the solutions tomorrow morning maybe.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
How come there are no question left for me to answer!? :uhoh: Btw I like the idea of this thread and it would have been great if some people could have moved their discussions somewhere else as you are kind of spamming.

Heres my question and this should be really easy. So like calculate the period of a satellite orbiting the earth at an altitude of say 700,000 km. Okay so the radius of the earth is 6.38 × 106 m and the earth’s mass is 5.97 × 1024 kg. Work it out people and show your full working.

I will look at the solutions tomorrow morning maybe.
I think you forgot to put the ^ symbols for the radius and mass of the earth, but I'll try solve it now.

Edit:
Is orbital period one of Kepler's laws?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just apply Keplers 3rd Law.
That's pretty late into the Space topic so I doubt that many, if not any, people know it yet.

But the formula is something like:

T^2 = (4 x pi^2 x r^3)/GM

From google.

Bluee

HSC
That's pretty late into the Space topic so I doubt that many, if not any, people know it yet.

But the formula is something like:

T^2 = (4 x pi^2 x r^3)/G*M

From google.
r^3/T^2 = G*M/4*Pi^2
My yearlies ended weeks ago so been studying since then. So quite ahead on Space.

Edit: Whats the point answering now that you have the formula.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
r^3/T^2 = G*M/4*Pi^2
My yearlies ended weeks ago so been studying since then. So quite ahead on Space.
That's the same formula that I said. By the way what is the 'r' component?

Bluee

HSC
That's the same formula that I said. By the way what is the 'r' component?
I know. 'r' component is orbital radius as intergrand already pointed out. Not sure if we have to go into a lot of the theory behind calling it orbital radius.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
What do I need to know from the prelim course for the HSC course?
And about the link that eyeseeyou posted, remember that if you do the option Astrophysics, you need to know most content from the cosmic engine.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
A crate of supplies for a scientific expedition to Greenland is being dropped by plane. When the supplies are dropped, the plane is travelling at 40 m/s horizontally at a height of 50 m. Sadly the parachute fails to open and the package falls to the ground at 9.8 m/s^2. Find the horizontal distance travelled by the package as it falls given that it hits the ground right at the feet of the scientific party.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
A crate of supplies for a scientific expedition to Greenland is being dropped by plane. When the supplies are dropped, the plane is travelling at 40 m/s horizontally at a height of 50 m. Sadly the parachute fails to open and the package falls to the ground at 9.8 m/s^2. Find the horizontal distance travelled by the package as it falls given that it hits the ground right at the feet of the scientific party.
^BUMP

Also Rathin do you do Quanta, Medical physics or Astro as an option?

trecex1

HSC
127.78m

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)