HSC Physics MC Thread (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
I'm goin to be having a lot of questions on Multiple Choice for Past HSC Physics so i thought i would post them in one thread.

First question:

Why is the answer B?

crankymidget

HSC
The disc is moving in same direction relative to the magnetic field. This creates creates a DC current. According to Lenz's law, the current will oppose the change in flux that created it. The disc is moving toward brush Y, therefore the current will flow from Y to X.

Mr_Kap

HSC
The disc is moving in same direction relative to the magnetic field. This creates creates a DC current. According to Lenz's law, the current will oppose the change in flux that created it. The disc is moving toward brush Y, therefore the current will flow from Y to X.
is that even legit reasonin??

Mr_Kap

HSC
And another fucked question. WHY IS THE ANSWER A? not B??:

Last edited:

crankymidget

HSC
is that even legit reasonin??
Haha. I couldn't illustrate my point very eloquently. MY reasoning was that the, the x brush is on the axel and the disc is rotating toward the y brush. Thats how I reasoned it in my head. I can't say for sure if this is correct, but it's the conclusion I came to.

I've had a look at some worked answers since and this is what i've found. "We know that because there is relative motion between the conductor and the magnetic field, a current will be induced. As the conductor is always moving in the same direction relative to the magnetic field, a direct current will be induced; hence the answer is either B or C.
We know that either the current will flow from X to Y (current flowing down), or Y to X (current flowing up). Also we know from Lenz’s Law that the induced current will be in such a direction that the magnetic field created by the induced current will oppose the original changing magnetic field. Hence the current must flow from Y to X for this to be true."

My excel success book says something similar, but does not give an answer as to working out the relative motion.

HecticLad

HSC
And another fucked question. WHY IS THE ANSWER A? not B??:

When the current is turned on in X, at the start a magnetic field is induced to oppose the increase in voltage, and therefore generate a back EMF, however it will eventually reach a constant voltage as it is a DC circuit and there will eventually be no magnetic field. A similar field will be created to oppose the voltage change when the switch is turned off but it will be in the opposite direction. Because there is only a changing magnetic field when the switch is turned off and on and not while it is operating at full voltage, a current will only be induced in coil Y when this field is changing, so therefore only when the switch at X is turned on and off. The induced voltage in Y when the switch is turned on will be in the opposite direction as that induced when the switch is turned off, so it would be A.

Mr_Kap

HSC

What are the approimate work functions of both these metals??? is it where the lines start???
So is metal y at 9 and metal x at 4??

I though the work function is where the line meets the "KINETIC ENERGY" axis (y-intercept), and the absolute value of that is the work function??

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

What are the approimate work functions of both these metals??? is it where the lines start???

I though the work function is where the line meets the "KINETIC ENERGY" axis (y-intercept), and the absolute value of that is the work function??

kawaiipotato

HSC

Yes you're correct.
Note that

nevermind already done above

Zlatman

HSC

The line has the formula: EK = hf - W

So yeah, when the value of the work function occurs when the frequency is zero, i.e. the y-intercept (as you said).

But, we can also find it out using the x-intercepts. When EK = 0, W = hf.

The THRESHOLD FREQUENCY for Metal X is at 4 x 10^-14 and for Metal Y is at 9 x 10^-14. Therefore, the WORK FUNCTION for Metal X is h * (4 x 10^-14) and the work function for Metal Y is h * (9 x 10^-14).

(LOL, NEVER MIND AGAIN - done above twice)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
The line has the formula: EK = hf - W

So yeah, when the value of the work function occurs when the frequency is zero, i.e. the y-intercept (as you said).

But, we can also find it out using the x-intercepts. When EK = 0, W = hf.

The THRESHOLD FREQUENCY for Metal X is at 4 x 10^-14 and for Metal Y is at 9 x 10^-14. Therefore, the WORK FUNCTION for Metal X is h * (4 x 10^-14) and the work function for Metal Y is h * (9 x 10^-14).

(LOL, NEVER MIND AGAIN - done above twice)
This is like the 5th time this week LOL

HecticLad

HSC

Its where it meets the y-axis, so if you have the equation hf=hf0+KE and you re arrange it to give your variables as KE and f, then you get KE=hf-hf0 then in the form y=mx+b, you get the y intercept to equal -hf0, which is also equal to the work function, and the gradient is equal to h from mx=hf

Mr_Kap

HSC

i thought it would be an INCREASING straight line.

Because it is a radial magnetic field and THETA is always 0 degrees it must be some form of straiht line, but i thought if it speeds up then the torqu needs to be larger

EDIT: I READ THE ANSWER WRONG. IT WAS D which was a straight line with negative gradient

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC

Why is it B?

Because it is a radial magnetic field and THETA is always 0 degrees it must be some form of straiht line, but i thought if it speeds up then the torqu needs to be larger
my bad.

misread the answer. The answer was D ---> the one with a decreasing straght line

Last edited:

vitamin D

HSC

Why is it B?

"radial" means constant torque, hence the straight line for torque. Not good enough at phys to explain in depth, sorry!

edit: just saw the real answer, ignore everything i said.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)