HSC question for HGP (1 Viewer)

eddy11

HSC
Could you please tell me if these responses sounds alright:

Discuss the benefits of the Human Genome Project (4 marks)

The human genome project involves determining the position and base sequence of every gene on each chromosome. The gains made by the human genome project could revolutionise the way that both infectious and non-infectious disease are managed and treated. Having completely mapped the human genome, scientists now hope to be able to develop screening techniques building upon the technology established as part of the project. These techniques will sequence an individuals genome to determine whether they possess a gene which predisposes them to a certain disease (such as cardiovascular disease, bowel or breast cancer). This would enable early detection of their predisposition allowing the individual to begin a program of regular testing for this specific disease and also avoid lifestyle factors that may be conducive to the onset of the disease. Also, in the early stages of foetal development, parents may be able to screen their unborn child for fatal inheritable disease such as Tay-sach disease if they feel they may be a carrier, and then decide whether to abort the pregnancy. A knowledge of the human genome could also facilitate the development of pharmacogenomics where drugs are developed based upon a reasoned approach (rather then traditional ‘hit and miss’ strategy) by considering specific genes and proteins so that drugs would target certain sites in the body and be more effective.

Explain the possible limitations of data obtained from the project (3 marks)

The human genome project provides data only on the sequence and location of genes. It does not show the function or impact certain genes will have, this will require further research. It also does not explain how certain genes interact with each other and environmental factors or how they are regulated to produce certain proteins. In order for the data obtained from the project to be used in the benefits discussed above, further research is needed to interpret it, because despite how much data it has produced, it is insignificant unless we know what it means.

ive been struggling with the HGP a bit, just not sure if the benefits ive listed are correct, cheers

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It's correct, but it just seems in the first question, your tone is referring to these technologies as something we'll witness in the future.

We already have genetic screening processes in place for breast cancer (BRCA1 and BRCA2), bowel cancer (APC gene causing mutations in FAPs) and a whole range of genetic disorders such as Huntingtons Disease, Haemochromatosis, etc.

As far as I know, Tay Sachs Disease has been screened for, for atleast 25 years.

Correct me if I'm reading it wrong though.

eddy11

HSC
sounds good, my notes are pretty limited for this topic so im trying to get a bit more info. Did those screening tests come about before the human genome project or were they a result of thetechnology developed by the HGP, thanks

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Also, you waffled a bit in the first question. They're not asking what the Genome Project is, they're asking for the benefits.

So to synthesise it a bit better you could maybe;
- Just write one or two sentences on what it actually is. I.E. The Human Genome Project was an international project conducted over 13 years, with goals that included identifying approximately 20,000-25,000 genes and to determine the chemical base pairs in DNA. The aim of the project was to develop new technologies and improve existing technologies used for the detection of a range of yada yada yada. The benefits of such a project and its resulting technologies include, yada yada yada

I don't know, but for four marks you want to really get to the question and not worry so much about building a background story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)