HSC Rankings/ATAR Question HELP (1 Viewer)

Burrows

HSC
Hey, I was just wondering how important rankings are in the HSC.
Say for example, Student A gets 85 (rank 3), Student B gets 88 (rank 2) and Student C gets 93 (rank 1) Internally. Then say, Student A comes first in the external HSC exam and gets 97, Student B gets 90 and Student C gets 89, Does that mean Student A will end up with the best mark out of the three, as in, all up they get a better Atar mark for that subject, or because that person came 3rd, they will remain third regardless of how well they go in the HSC?

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Students C's internal assessment mark will be 97 and C's external exam mark will be 89 - HSC mark will be average of the two (93).

Burrows

HSC
so regardless of how well Student A goes in the external HSC they will always get the third best mark for ranking third internally??

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Is that the entire cohort - three students - in the subject? Need to know school cumulative assessment mark of person coming last and lowest external exam mark achieved by cohort in HSC exam to determine internal assesment marks of A and B

Burrows

HSC
it was just a hypothetical situation, i was just wondering if someone comes third internally, but then aces the HSC exam, will they ALWAYS be ranked third, regardless if they got the best mark externally in their cohort.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
so regardless of how well Student A goes in the external HSC they will always get the third best mark for ranking third internally??
Technically A doesn't get the third best mark - their internal assessment mark is the product of a process called moderation which is depedent on their school cumulative assessment mark relative to that of the person coming first (highest cumulative - C) and person coming last (lowest cumulative).

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
it was just a hypothetical situation, i was just wondering if someone comes third internally, but then aces the HSC exam, will they ALWAYS be ranked third, regardless if they got the best mark externally in their cohort.
There are lots of factors, size of relative gaps in cumulative school marks which determine internal HSC assessment marks, the extent that they may ace or bomb the external HSC exam marks... Assuming the cohort you have described only includes those three students, student A would have internal HSC assessment mark of 89 and external exam HSC mark of 97 - A will get same HSC mark as C (93).

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Student B would get roughly 92 for internal assessment HSC mark which averages with B's 90 external HSC exam mark to give HSC mark of 91.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I was just wondering how important rankings are in the HSC.
Say for example, Student A gets 85 (rank 3), Student B gets 88 (rank 2) and Student C gets 93 (rank 1) Internally. Then say, Student A comes first in the external HSC exam and gets 97, Student B gets 90 and Student C gets 89, Does that mean Student A will end up with the best mark out of the three, as in, all up they get a better Atar mark for that subject, or because that person came 3rd, they will remain third regardless of how well they go in the HSC?
A: 97 (ext) | 89 (int)
B: 90 | 92-93
C: 89 | 97

Assuming 3 students in the cohort.

How did i get the 92-93 value? Looking at the internal marks B was 5 below A, and 3 above C. Now looking at the external marks, percentage wise, a score of 92-93 from the range of 89-97 is ideal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)