hsc subject marks - scaled or not? (1 Viewer)

raspberriesandpears

HSC
hi! i'm sorry if this is a stupid question but i was really curious about this.

so i completed accelerated maths advanced and got a 91 (honestly incredible considering my performance all year). obviously, i just got that mark texted to me yesterday morning.

i was wondering if that mark was my final mark, scaled and everything, or if will be further scaled when my atar is calculated next year. i'm leaning towards the latter but i could be wrong.

again, sorry if this is like common knowledge, i usually know most things about the hsc but this bit eluded me :spin:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations on your mark! Essentially, the mark that you receive from NESA is your HSC mark, which consists of the average of an Assessment Mark (reflecting your internal performance) that is subject to moderation and alignment as well as an Examination Mark (reflecting your HSC exam performance) that is subject to alignment. In short, yes, that is your final mark, and UAC will produce a scaled mark this year to be used in the calculation of your ATAR next year once you have completed your HSC.

One thing to note is that the mark that you receive from NESA (in this case, 91 in Mathematics Advanced) is not the mark that UAC uses to produce a scaled mark. UAC uses a mark called a raw HSC mark, which is also determined by taking an average of an Assessment Mark and an Examination Mark. However, the difference here is that while the Assessment Mark is subject to moderation, it is not subject to alignment. The Examination Mark is also taken as a raw mark (a raw Examination Mark is the actual mark that you received on the HSC exam without any adjustments, which NESA does not inform you of, although you can request it from them), meaning that it is not aligned either. The average of these marks is then taken to produce a raw HSC exam mark to be subsequently used in producing a scaled mark for Mathematics Advanced.

I hope this helps! 😄

raspberriesandpears

HSC
thank you
Congratulations on your mark! Essentially, the mark that you receive from NESA is your HSC mark, which consists of the average of an Assessment Mark (reflecting your internal performance) that is subject to moderation and alignment as well as an Examination Mark (reflecting your HSC exam performance) that is subject to alignment. In short, yes, that is your final mark, and UAC will produce a scaled mark this year to be used in the calculation of your ATAR next year once you have completed your HSC.

One thing to note is that the mark that you receive from NESA (in this case, 91 in Mathematics Advanced) is not the mark that UAC uses to produce a scaled mark. UAC uses a mark called a raw HSC mark, which is also determined by taking an average of an Assessment Mark and an Examination Mark. However, the difference here is that while the Assessment Mark is subject to moderation, it is not subject to alignment. The Examination Mark is also taken as a raw mark (a raw Examination Mark is the actual mark that you received on the HSC exam without any adjustments, which NESA does not inform you of, although you can request it from them), meaning that it is not aligned either. The average of these marks is then taken to produce a raw HSC exam mark to be subsequently used in producing a scaled mark for Mathematics Advanced.

I hope this helps! 😄
thank you sm!! that really helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)