• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC subjects and UAI question (1 Viewer)

syekotk

HSC
Hi,
I've heard that doing general maths as opposed to mathematics or extension 1 and 2 will drag down your UAI considerably, so I was wondering if you can tell me whether or not this is true?

I've looked around the forum and have found a few general answers but just looking for something specifically relating to maths.

Thanks in advance

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
General math, like all other subjects will only scale you down IF you do poorly in it. If you achieve good marks, scaling will not affect you. :)

blakegman

HSC
N/A
i know u want a specific, but its very ambiguous hey.

its all down to ability.

it wont drag you down as long as you do well. a band 5 in mathematics obviously beats a 5 or 6 in general, but it is also a lot harder to achieve. if you dont consider yourself that great at maths then general maths is a solid option, just make sure your band 5 or 6 if u want a high uai.

syekotk

HSC
Alright, thanks everyone. I'll have to give it a bit more thought before I decide, weigh up the options

mzduxx2006

HSC
syekotk said:
Hi,
I've heard that doing general maths as opposed to mathematics or extension 1 and 2 will drag down your UAI considerably, so I was wondering if you can tell me whether or not this is true?

I've looked around the forum and have found a few general answers but just looking for something specifically relating to maths.

Thanks in advance
those ppl are fukwits. if u do well in all ur other subjects and in general maths then scaling wont affect u.

i done general maths.

A 90% + in general is better than a 45% in advanced maths and trust me ITS ALOT HARDER for many candidates than what general maths is.

BlytheChloe

HSC
mzduxx2006 said:
those ppl are fukwits. if u do well in all ur other subjects and in general maths then scaling wont affect u.

i done general maths.

A 90% + in general is better than a 45% in advanced maths and trust me ITS ALOT HARDER for many candidates than what general maths is.
I do Mathematics. Your figures aren't realistic. I don't think someone achieving 45% in 2U would still even keep it.

That's a large gap to compare with anyway. 90%+ for ANYTHING is better than 45% in most other subjects (unless its 4U Maths etc).

75% in 2U is better than 90% in General IMO after doing the 2U HSC this year and taking a look at the General paper...

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
BlytheChloe said:
I do Mathematics. Your figures aren't realistic. I don't think someone achieving 45% in 2U would still even keep it.

That's a large gap to compare with anyway. 90%+ for ANYTHING is better than 45% in most other subjects (unless its 4U Maths etc).

75% in 2U is better than 90% in General IMO after doing the 2U HSC this year and taking a look at the General paper...
Truth.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
BlytheChloe said:
Nope. A mark of 85+ in general will work well, scaling wont affect the student here. Considering the fact that general math is simple and easier to grasp, achieving a mark of 85+ should be easy. :)

BlytheChloe

HSC
tanjin said:
Considering the fact that general math is simple and easier to grasp, achieving a mark of 85+ should be easy. :)
Exactly. the 2U paper was harder than the past years, q9 and 10 werent in the usual "show this" format. I could have done the General paper in junior years. 85+ in General is nothing. Try getting 85+ raw in 2U. I bet you it wouldn't be as easy.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
BlytheChloe said:
Try getting 85+ raw in 2U. I bet you it wouldn't be as easy.
No shit. I did 2unit, but dropped to general because of the time consumption - I know how difficult 2unit can be, that said, if someone were to study consistently and properly throughout the year (whether it be general or higher) high marks can easily be achieved.

But, you cant say that getting 85+ in general is nothing. Not everyone can handle math, even if it is general.

BlytheChloe

HSC
Maybe you should revise what you wrote because you sound very hypocritical.

tanjin said:
general math is simple and easier to grasp, achieving a mark of 85+ should be easy
Well,
tanjin said:
you can't say that ... Not everyone can handle math, even if it is general.
If you can say that GM is "simple and easier to grasp, achieving a mark of 85+ should be easy" than I have the right to say that achieving 85+ in GM is nothing.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
tanjin said:
Considering the fact that general math is simple and easier to grasp, achieving a mark of 85+ should be easy. :)
Didn't say it was. :)

BlytheChloe

HSC
tanjin said:
Didn't say it was. :)
Denial.

tanjin said:
Considering the fact that general math is simple and easier to grasp
tanjin said:
Not everyone can handle math, even if it is general.
Inconsistency.

Yes, not everyone can handle it. I know friends who found GM difficult.

My point was you are a hypocrite for stating YOUR OPINION that GM is "simple and easier to grasp" then saying "you cant say that getting 85+ in general is nothing" when I state MY OPINION because (if you haven't already noticed) it is MY OPINION that 85 in GM is nothing.

kthxbye.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
lol, NOWHERE in any of my posts did i say that Gen Math was easy for everyone. I'm not denying anything. Yeah, gen math is easier to grasp but not everyone can.

I probably shouldn't have said "You cant say that.." You're entitled to your opinion, i wasn't attacking it. :)

mzduxx2006

HSC
syekotk said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance
WELL JUST FOR THE RECORD these were my results for my HSC 2007

english adv 92
english ext 90
modern history 90
math general 84
biology 78
chemistry 73
physics 71

My uai was 90.25 so u can achieve a good mark with general maths

hu5sla

HSC
if doin general maths drags your UAI down if you do shit

what if you did shit in mathematics?

HSC
if you go below average in any subject you get scaled down.

if you are below average in maths opposed to general maths you will get scaled down less because its "harder"

above average in general maths is better than below average in maths.

edit: when i talk of average i'm talking about state average. i don't know what those actual marks are.

ccc123

HSC
watatank said:
if you go below average in any subject you get scaled down.

if you are below average in maths opposed to general maths you will get scaled down less because its "harder"

above average in general maths is better than below average in maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)