HSC subjects (1 Viewer)

dreamer7

HSC
How does the whole selection of subjects for yrs 11 and 12 work? How many subjects can you have? What are the choices you get?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
the majority of subjects are worths 2 units each, apart from SOR 1, and Extensions. In year 11, you must have 12 units and 4 subjects minimum, you may take any no. of subjects you can handle above this as long as you include 2 units of english, however it isnt advisable to take on too many additional units as the workload is too heavy. In year 12, you must take at least 3 board developed subjects of 2 unit value incl. 2 units of English and take up to 10 units of subjects which may be vocational if you desire. If you wish to gain a UAI, no more than 2 of these units maybe category B and at least ten must be developed by the board.
This page has links to files explaining it in more depth:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/index.html
And here is a list of all the courses available both board developed and board endorsed:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/EN_SX_2004_12.htm

Last edited:

melly noodle

HSC
at my school people mostly do 12 or 13 units. the only way you can really do more is if you do ext maths or english or a tafe course or a saturday language course. For year 11 you have to have a minimum of 12 units and yr 12 a minimum of 10 units.
xxxmelxxx

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The subject choices you get are also dependant on what school you go to, as different schools run different timetables and different subjects. If you have a larger school, you'll get a wider choice than a smaller school.

I_F

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
chech ur school sbuject lines before u make up ur mind and get hyped up about ur choice.....
i personally didnt get exactly what i wanted due to the subject arangements on the different lines.... so yea make sure you check them out first

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
It still depends on your school;

My school put the subjects in line AFTER we'd made our choices, they worked the subjects out so that the majoritory would be happy.
Yeah that's what my school did... but it still worked out nice :) anyways, if your school has set lines (unlike mine) be sure to check it out. Also, be sure to take subjects that you enjoy and you know you'll do well in, don't pick on what your friends pick or pick subjects solely based on scaling, you'll regret it.

rightie

lost in suburbia hell
HSC
dreamer7 said:
How does the whole selection of subjects for yrs 11 and 12 work? How many subjects can you have? What are the choices you get?
make sure that u pick the right subjects, because if u do what i did - i screwed myself out of a uai

dreamer7

HSC
my selected subjects

Thanks to everyone for their advice and explanations. I handed in my subject selections for yr 11 about a month ago. These are the subjects I have chosen:

2u maths
Chemistry
Physics
Music 2
English adv
English ext 1
Modern history

I chose them based on what I am interested in and what I am good at, and they seem to have good scaling too.

Have I made a wise decision?

Peartie

HSC
They only scale well IF you do well...if you do badly they scale badly...

Raginsheep

HSC
Personally, I'd recommend that anyone who has a shred of talent at maths do 3U maths unless they really hate the subject.

If you don't like it, you can drop the subject however, it also offers access the the highest scaling subject in year 12, 4u

Raginsheep

HSC
4u doesn't have that much trig in it...its more in the hard 3u section I think.

Raginsheep

HSC
Bah......too much writing, theres already english, english ext and by yr 12, possibily eng ext 2....

BTW velox, just to make myself clear, Im refereing to hard 3u questions rather than the harder 3u topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)