HSC suicides and depression (1 Viewer)

pookodooko

HSC
Hey guys, I've only started realising in my year that I'm not the only one who is stressing out and getting upset sometimes over marks. Although I manage to pick myself up, I've got a mate who goes through emotional highs and lows every week, because of the pressure of yr12. I was just wondering, have any of you ever contemplated suicide because of the HSC or know anyone that has. What are your thoughts guys?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
the HSC is harsh, but its nothing someone should consider killing themselves over. these people surely don't realise that we are all here to help each other through it emotionally, psychologically and mentally. it's one of the biggest challenges that one faces simply because of all the hype the HSC receives from the newspapers and media/parents and community expectations/naiveity.

i know people who have reached these extreme lows before but usually a good talk to, or a good friend and a more happy and lively atmosphere allows them to heal from the scars that they give themselves regarding the HSC.

i myself also reach some extreme lows but each time i've been able to succesfully get myself back up and able to run the race again. :)

hope it all goes well for your friend :)

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
The most dramatic thing I did was live on chocolates.

As long as you have a life outside the HSC - family, friends, gf/bfs, you'll never be seriously inclined to kill yourself.

In year 7 I read in Dolly (don't laugh) that some girl ran away during year 12 and it was suspected that she did it because she couldn't hack the HSC. That's it really.

Of course then there was that story about a guy in China who shot his parents because they put too much pressure on him to get into uni. That's China though. Put any of us in that kind of competitive environment and we'd start shooting people too.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
I know several people that did... Some got over it, some are still a mess. The story, however, shall end there and details will be left alone.

It's just proof that people need to look out for people. If you see someone struggling, even if you "hate" them, go talk to them. Check they're alright. If they're not, get them help. The school has procedures for things like that...

edit: I had this window to respond open for about an hour... heh.

G

Gavvvvvin

OMG it looks like its that time of year again where I recite the story about the kid who collected enough string twine from his answer booklets and hung himself in the toilets during an exam.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
pookodooko said:
I was just wondering, have any of you ever contemplated suicide because of the HSC or know anyone that has. What are your thoughts guys?
I have never even thought of suicide, but I have heard stories about people breaking down and going insane. I really don't think the environment is that bad in Australia, there are worse countries like China and Indonesia, where students are forced by their parents to study hours every day and generally have immense pressure put on them. In Australia, I reckon it's a little more laid back, you are more free to do what you want.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Riviet said:
I have never even thought of suicide, but I have heard stories about people breaking down and going insane. I really don't think the environment is that bad in Australia, there are worse countries like China and Indonesia, where students are forced by their parents to study hours every day and generally have immense pressure put on them. In Australia, I reckon it's a little more laid back, you are more free to do what you want.
My cousin lives in China and is in year 10. He comes home from school at around 3:30. It takes him from then until 11:00 at night just to finish his homework.

We should consider ourselves very lucky.

volition

arr.
HSC
I never contemplated suicide during my HSC, and that's the way it should be. There are always backdoors in to things anyway, there's no need to go and kill yourself over the HSC.

rhia

salty
HSC
pookodooko said:
Hey guys, I've only started realising in my year that I'm not the only one who is stressing out and getting upset sometimes over marks. Although I manage to pick myself up, I've got a mate who goes through emotional highs and lows every week, because of the pressure of yr12. I was just wondering, have any of you ever contemplated suicide because of the HSC or know anyone that has. What are your thoughts guys?
i have, but i have a general history of depression and mental illness/anorexia - which is why i'm 20 and still haven't finished the hsc (which makes it worse, because i'm upset about that as well).

vogue

FaShIoNiStA
HSC
i can understand that there is highs and lows in the year and i can agree that depression does arise yet indivudal will focus differently on sucide and the like. Yet personally for me a lil cry is ok cause we are surging with tonnes of emotions and it is stressfull and crazy but there is more to life than this and that is for sure.
So be happy in the end schoolies is what we really want lol......

gracie007

HSC
the amount of pressure the general public, family and friends, the school youre at and others put on year 12 is absolutely ridiculous. the hsc is made out to be so much more bigger than it really is. thats why it scares the shit out of students and makes some feel so down. in order to do well, you need a bit of pressure and competition, but the huge amounts brought on in year 12 are far too much, and definately unhealthy. especially if you go to a high performing private school or selective school. you need to keep everything in perspective. there are backways into pretty much ANY field. NOONE cares how you did in the hsc after school's well and truely over. you should just enjoy your final year at school, but at the same time, work out what you want out of the hsc and go for it. you should only follow yourself.

Peek-a-boo!!!

HSC
I reckon HSC is just the begining of a challenge in life.Im not going to jump of a cliff over marks and the UAI .My life's just begun, it's fun and responsibilties help me to learn more. We're not ROBOTs.We can get through the HSC. Cheer up. :):)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I know what you mean about the highs and lows. Sometimes there are points that you think theres no way to pull yourself through the hsc and you just get so down on yourself about it. But then you just realise one day that you can do it. The thing i learned was not to have such high expectations - because sometimes you just cant reach them and when you dont live up to what you expect from yourself you feel like shit. You just have to realise that if you try your very hardest, then theres nothing more you can do. It is not worth suiciding for. After this year, you might look back and think wow..i dont really want to go to uni anyway. Theres always more out there.

I hope everything works out :)

sleepplease

HSC
sure ive had times when i think i cant do it, i have them often, but never would i give up on life. I've seen too many people kill themseleves to ever contemplate it. Life is too amazing to give up over an exam. Saying that, i dont deny that i havent felt teh stress - all of us feel it. Especially if you have others with high expectations of you. The bottem line is - it is an exam, and the UAI is a number. you cannot be, nor ever will be defined by that number. you are so much more.

H

housemouse

Back doors take too long to get into.
Waste of time imo when you could have just enter the "front door".

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I sometimes feel really depressed now in Year 11 already. Not to the extent that I wanna kill myself though :p

Nakashima said:
My cousin lives in China and is in year 10. He comes home from school at around 3:30.
Really? That is pretty early for an end of school day. School was out at 5:10pm for me when I was in Year 7.

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
school is so not worth your life..
yeah it does suk at times, bu there its not the realy world! if you fail an assesment task life will still go on!

Really! Don't stress about it cos there are more important things in life that deserve you worry and attention.

sleepplease

HSC
Parents are getting to me atm, lamearse high expectations :( and selective schools have a tendency to make you feel dumb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)