HSC verbs confusion (1 Viewer)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
You might find this previous BoS thread useful: https://boredofstudies.org/threads/difference-between-evaluate-and-assess.316123/

‘Assess’ and ‘Evaluate’ do overlap a fair bit; in an ‘assessment’, you’re generally given some criteria against which given data should be compared, whilst in an ‘evaluation’, your personal judgment, from your own set of values & experience, goes into determining or refining the criteria, so you get to demonstrate your own broader knowledge beyond the content of the specific question when you evaluate the data.

The thread I linked has a couple of examples. I’m not involved in education, so I can’t give you HSC examples, but perhaps it might be relevant to give an explanation from my experiences at work. Sometimes, a new piece of equipment is assessed against the manufacturer’s claims or specifications, whilst at other times, a piece of equipment is evaluated against local requirements determined by its intended use (so you need expert knowledge of its intended use when searching through manufacturer’s claims before you even consider buying a piece of equipment).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)