• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Human Rights Issue in Tibet (1 Viewer)

valluvar

HSC
Can I consider the problems in Tibet as Collective Human rights issue ? What iare the International Bodies doing about it ?

Can someone explain about the type of crime in "Dr Hanif" and "Dr Death" cases and comments on these cases ?

holofernes

HSC
valluvar said:
Can I consider the problems in Tibet as Collective Human rights issue ? What iare the International Bodies doing about it ?

Can someone explain about the type of crime in "Dr Hanif" and "Dr Death" cases and comments on these cases ?
Re: Tibet, probably. You can see on the website of the Tibetan government-in-exile a list of resolutions etc that different governments and the UN have passed regarding Tibet. Its complicated by the fact that it's not a purely international conflict.

In Dr Haneef's case he was charged with an offence under s102.7 of the Commonwealth Criminal Code, of "providing support" to a terrorist organisation. I think it was pretty clear from the start (in hindsight) that the charge wasn't going to stick -- the crime requires intent, and knowledge of the terrorist organisation etc. Providing a sim card may not be "support" either. As it turned out there was no evidence that his sim card was involved with the terrorist plots in the UK.

However the matter never came to trial. I think the bail magistrate was not impressed by the Commonwealth's case, and granted bail. Immediately after he did so, the Immigration Minister cancelled Haneef's visa under the Migration Act for so-called "character grounds". Haneef got detained (at Villawood? I don't reacall) as a result and I think was eventually deported. There was a big outcry from lawyers everywhere, as there were clear separation of power issues -- here you have the executive trying to "get around" a magistrate's decision.

Eventually the decision was appealed to the Full Federal Court who held that the Minister exercised his power wrongfully.

Can't comment on the "Dr Death" case.

valluvar

HSC
Thanks a lot guys for your help. As you have mentioned, Tibet seems to be a hazy international issue (poor visibility to outside world) and "Dr Death" can be used as an example for "Extradition Treaty". Currently, He has appealed against extradition to australia stating that he will not get "fair treatment" here. If the U.S. Courts reject his appeal, he will be extradited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)