human story, out of syllabus (1 Viewer)

Lil Clutch

HSC
yeh true that mllyod, however i was like the many others who was stumped bout the question and went off on a tangent. i sort of talked bout the linear model, and the more branching one-but like then it sort of eventuated into a discussion bout the two models-out of africa, etc. lol that sounds so wrong, but i write well-it all made sense! but 3 marks- who gives? im sure people are bound to get a mark or something! and yeah, my teacher was angry also-he's calling up slash doing something about it. because in our class we didnt learn anything like that-we compared different models but didnt know specific names or anything, and we did everything in the syllabus! and i predicted something bout the hobbitt was bound to be in the paper! go me. :)

Prashanthy

j for johnny
in the purple-lined palace of sweet sin, where the
HSC
mlloyd said:
It wasn't about the out of africa stuff, that's just wrong. That focuses on how humans evolved from watever the previous species was, out of the archaic forms of homo sapiens (ie: the asian, african and european) and became modern human. That wasn't at all relevant to the models provided.

The question was looking for the names of the models, like "linear" and "divergent" evolution. Specific scientists like Colin Graves and Bernard Wood developed these models of human evolution which are called the "Graves model" or the "Wood model" or the "Leakey model" or watever the scientist who thought of that path of evolution for hominids took place based on the fossil record. So pretty much the question wanted to know what type of evolution you were looking at, and give an example of a specific model that you should have learnt (which is in the syllabus) that it could have been, because most models that the scientists produce do follow that figure which was given, and the first figure was simply calle the linear model for human evolution.
ok, have to disagree with you there. the question said to compare two MODELS, not two THEORIES. they are two different syllabus points. One is, as you said, about Leakey, Johanson etc and the other deals with the out of africa/regional continuity models. this question, i am fairly sure related to the models, not the theories. if i were you, i would make sure i understood the question before declaring that someone else's answer is "just wrong".

danieljarvis

HSC
danieljarvis said:
it didnt ask to give a model that we learnt. it asked us to name the models shown, and compare evidence that supports them.
The syllabus asks us to learn about secondary sources to analyse and evaluate the evidence for two different models of human evolution.
This question gave us a model to name 1st hand.

If it asked us to name a view about human evolution or compare two different, fine. But it didnt. It asked for the two models names that it showed, there were no specifics asked for in the syllabus.

Yes the syllabus asks for the contribution of ONE of the following. the Leakey family
Johanson
Broom
Tobias
Dart
Goodall

But nothing this exact as the question fucking asked.
yeah he's right, read this! haha

Prashanthy

j for johnny
in the purple-lined palace of sweet sin, where the
HSC
danieljarvis said:
yeah cos, when i saw it i was like.. wtf that questions either worded wrong or on something our teacher specifically said was not in the syllabus.. and so i assumed was worded wrong n wrote that answer ... then i got out n saw my teacher and it was circled and the first thing he showed me... so he's probly called by now and ill email them now.

thanks buddy
can i just say, i don't feel that we would actually stand a chance of gaining anything by complaining, because, although it is not technically in the syllabus, i have a sinking feeling that BOS will say that it is, because we are expected to "outline" the two models for evolution, and they may interpret this as including recognition of what model is which. that's not my opinion, before people start yellin at me, but i think thats how they will see it. but then again, i guess u have nothing to lose by complaining, so go ahead.

B.J

HSC
The question looks like it was asking for the models of out of africa and regional continutiy.
It couldnt possibly be asking for the names of those models because its never in the syllabus and i don't really see how they could ask evidence for them.
I said that the model on left was model of regional continuity because it showed gradual development from Erectus without any off shoots. Then the other one is out of africa because it shows heidelbergensis replacing erectus about 200 000 years ago and being ancestor of modern humans.
But if theres such a wide range of answers im sure they will be leanient when marking it.
Its so stupid that they could put all these weird dubious questions, its the freaking hsc you think they could get it right. I reckon the damn locus question is out of the syllabus what the hell is that!

tan

i feel your pain, i'm just as pissed as u are. Don't worry i'll be calling the board of studies on monday 2. i think the more of us that complain the better.

budj

HSC
is about time they pull something out of the syllabus. everythings out of the sylabus.

Bokky

HSC
I dont think thats something which should initiate controversy among students and HSC markers. In the core we had the question about locusts which my teacher said it wasnt in the syllabus, but that particular question is asking u to use available data and evidence as well as your skill and knowledge to assess, explain and evaluate. This is because they cant just list every dot point from the syllabus, that would make it too easy for students doing the exam to score full marks. So you will find that last question of the human story must be linked to and/or between syllabus points and asks u to use ur knowledge about watever its asking u.

xxFiveWords

HSC
repz said:
i ended up doin the human story question lol
my option was communication tho
but found this one easier
:O good lord... why the heck do people do that? u spend an entire term or w/e on the subject and then go and do something completely different...

Zali

HSC
the question was just confussing in the way it was written n because they gave us stimulus. there are 2 dot points in the sylabus that refer to models:

outline and examine the evidence for the pattern of human migration and evolution based on;
out of africa model
theory of regional continuity

gather and process information from secondary sources to analyse and evaluate the evidence for two different models of human evolution

i asked my teacher about the last dot point before the exam and he said it could refer to either the 1st dot point or the one that says

examine at least 2 alternative views of human evolutionary relationships using the same fossil evidence including: (all those species of hominids)

NOW the question asked to COMPARE evidence and NAME the models so it has to have refered to the 'out of africa etc' dot point because of the naming and the comparing of evidence

thats my analysis of the situation anyway

floerr

my deepest sympathys...
i wulda just written "if yous don't even noe wats in the syllabus how do u expect me to know whats in it?..give me 100% BOS sux"

:)
or sumfing along them lines

danieljarvis

HSC
i went the other way.

i wrote that model 1 was out of Africa because in model 2 it says that H. sapiens branched from H. heidelbergensis ( germany ) ... so unless my opinion on out of africa is totally wrong ( put me in my place if i am!!! ) wouldnt H. sapien have evolved from a species in Africa?
I also thought that stating the species locations was a persuasion to write about Out of Africa and Regional Continuity.

tan

Just spoke to BOS now and they acted like they knew nothing about it, as if no one else has a problem with the question in the option: human story. Come on guys don't let them screw us over like this, we all deserve those 3 marks becase the question wasn't worded correctly and was confusing. PLEASE we all need to call and complain otherwise they'll just sweep it under the carpet. These 3 marks could make a significant difference to our UAI. The Number to call is 9367 8111. Good Luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)