humanities subjects and 99+ atar (1 Viewer)

bhsrepresent

HSC
share your experience with what atar you've seen/ gotten with humanities/artsy/ highly subjective essayish subjects (proportionally, assuming students are reasonably good students)

I.e. with a subject combination like this:

EE2, modern, business, pdhpe, economics

How hard, relatively, assuming you do reasonably well, 92-95s, is it to get 99+ atar?

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
It's definitely possible - it's just not very common because most students with the capacity/motivation to get 99+ tend to do science/maths based courses.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Last year approximately 10% of people who got 99.95 did no maths. I'm super hoping for 99.7 with all humanities (not that likely, realistically looking at 98-99), and all of the teachers I have discussed it with think that this is a perfectly reasonable goal.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Last year approximately 10% of people who got 99.95 did no maths. I'm super hoping for 99.7 with all humanities (not that likely, realistically looking at 98-99), and all of the teachers I have discussed it with think that this is a perfectly reasonable goal.
On your way to the big bucks!

enoilgam

HSC
Really - that's a bit more than what I would have expected.

bhsrepresent

HSC
I'm hoping for 99+ with my subjects (all humanities)

The doubt/ sense of uncertainty you experience with humanities subjects definitely sucks though. (except social science, business and eco are pretty objective)

Examine

same
HSC
Source?

bhsrepresent

HSC
There's also an expectation that you're doing something DIFFERENT/ writing perceptively compared to everyone else, which can be enjoyable but is mostly pretty burdensome.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If you do a bit of scrolling there's a part that talks about subject selection, attempting to combat subject set/mark misconceptions. It says that 4/48 who got 99.95 did no maths. My maths isn't great, but even I can work out that's approximately one in ten. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/live-coverage-nsw-atar-results-released-20121220-2bo0f.html

Or here's the excerpt if you cbf:
What's the secret formula to scoring the perfect 99.95 ATAR? There isn't one, says Kim Paino of the University Admissions Centre (UAC).
"The 48 students who received a rank of 99.95 this year didn’t all do the same subjects," she said. "Four of them didn’t have any mathematics at all... The idea that you have to do a particular set of subjects to achieve a high ATAR is nonsense."

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
There's also an expectation that you're doing something DIFFERENT/ writing perceptively compared to everyone else, which can be enjoyable but is mostly pretty burdensome.
true

you can't be average and regurgitate the same point that 3/4 of the state is regurgitating

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Still, I would have thought that it was maybe one person every couple of years.
That's what I'd been led to believe as well, I though WendyBird was pretty much the only person alive who'd done it

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
It's how well they regurgitate that point that matters - the writing skills of a lot of people are terrible.
yeah

I guess how 'well' you regurgitate the point is inclusive of niche statements which is more implicit and analytical than just the standard -insert case study here- -therefore my point is proven- (which a lot of people do)

enoilgam

HSC
yeah

I guess how 'well' you regurgitate the point is inclusive of niche statements which is more implicit and analytical than just the standard -insert case study here- -therefore my point is proven- (which a lot of people do)
A lot of the time, people dont even do that.

pscecelia

HSC
yeah

your snake animation frightens me terribly ....i scroll down to slowly to read the comment......then the snake pops up...nek minit i scroll all the way down n shittt my pants! pls change it <3

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
your snake animation frightens me terribly ....i scroll down to slowly to read the comment......then the snake pops up...nek minit i scroll all the way down n shittt my pants! pls change it <3
the truth of your self-identity hurts...

the truth hurts...
the snake bites

for the snake, which is you, bites us all, with the unpathogenic snake venom exhibited in your study pattern

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
That's what I'd been led to believe as well, I though WendyBird was pretty much the only person alive who'd done it
I know people who got 100 UAI (back on the old system) with only humanities. It's a small number, but it's pretty consistent over the years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)