Hybridization (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hi,

I need help for this dot point in BOL:
-process information from secondary sources to describe an example of hybridisation within a species and explain the purpose of this hybridisation

We did corn in class but we don't really have any notes on it at all! If anyone can provide me with some info it would be great!

crazylilmonkee

HSC
female horse + male donkey = mule
mules are harder working, longer life span and have hybrid vigour
but cannot reproduce as their diploid number is 63 so cannot split properly in meiosis

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
But it says hybridization within a species... aren't donkeys and horses two different species?

jims

HSC
u could use cows. cross a hereford with an angus to make bigger calves with more meat or something. then cross that with a shorthorn to get an even bigger cow.

s2ophie

HSC
the example i have is hybrid corn. produced using a double cross technique (but don't ask me what that is!)

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
But it says hybridization within a species... aren't donkeys and horses two different species?
The definition of hybrid that was provided to me was the crossing of different species or strains (variations in a species)... I also did the mule, and this within a species is starting to trouble me...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
See we did something about corn but I didn't really understand because we didn't really get any notes on it... we just had some corn diagram that makes no sense to me now!

Rosem

HSC
N/A
since it doesnt specify whether it is animal or plant i am going to use my own example so bare with me

Firstly , hybridisation is interbreeding of two different species to produce third species (called hybrid=infertile in case of animal muel)
you can have a hybridisation of sugar cane this is done by interbreeding two different strain
1> nobel strain of sugar that produce large sugar but less resistant to disease
2> wild strain of sugar that produce small amount but very resistant to disease
so when both combined 3rd one is both resistant to disease and produce lots of sugar

hopes this help you out

swordfish

Our example was William Farrar's pioneering of Australian wheat research. He made his crosses by preventing self-fertilisation and carrying out artificial crosses (like Mendel)
He crossed:
Etauch (early ripening) x Fife (good baking)
This produced Yandilla
He then crossed:
Yandilla x Purple Straw (high yielding)
These crosses produced:
Federation- a wheat that combined all these good characteristics. It was high yielding, good baking, early ripening, and had a strong short straw.

If you draw it as a flow chart it looks easier. Its just hard to do on a computer :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)