hydrogen spectrum (1 Viewer)

allstarr69

hi,

can someone explain exacly what the hydrogen spectrum is and what it shows? All I know about it is that it emmits raidation in characteristics amounts. I really have no idea.

thanks

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
There should be lots of info about this in all text books

in short, spectrum composed of emf of specific frequencies being emitted, relating to elctrons movement down quantised energy levels...

things to talk about
bohrs explanation, E=hf
rydbergs eqn(and balmers original 1)
limitation of this explainations
linking to a more generalised description of emission/absorption spectra not just H1

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
i don't understand all the hydrogen spectrum stuff either.
What are the spectral lines?
And what is all the balmer series stuff?

sub

spectral lines are the wavelengths at which the electrons emit "light" when they fall from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. if if they fall from n=6 to n= 2 (balmer series always ends in n =2) then a specific wavelength is released (use rydberg's equation to find out what it is...i forget, i thinks its 410, but i may be rong).
this is useful cos it shows what happens to electrons in the simplest atom (the hydrogen atom), however, it fails to work for atoms with more than 1 electron (ie only works for H, and Li2+ etc), also it doesn't explain the brightness of each spectral line, or the hyperfine splitting of some of these spectral lines. also these spectral lines can follow the zeeman effect, where they break up when placed near a magnetic field. hope that helps :)

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
so the balmer series just shows the energy (wavelengths of light) emitted when an electron jumps from a high energy level to a lower energy level?
And that came form bohrs postulates which explain the stability of the atom, and energy released

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
I figured that since it only worked for hydrogen, it is significant in that that the spectra sets limits on the allowed electron orbits, by saying that the energy emitted is predetermined.
This then led to the Rydberg's equation (dot point 1.5)

sub

bograt...it only works for atoms with one electron, which is a major failing of the model... rydberg's equation, im pretty sure was determined emipirically first, then verified later mathematically...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)